“Fantastic”
Review of Huntingtower Hotel

Huntingtower Hotel
Ranked #1 of 18 Hotels in Perth
Reviewed 13 February 2013

The staff at the hotel were really nice. The restaurant staff were lovely and very helpful. The food was fantastic and really good value for money. We could not believe the size of the room which was really clean. I cannot wait to go back to this hotel as whilst there I was not very well and want to experience it to its full potential. The bed was really comfortable.

Reviewed 9 February 2013

This is a very nice Scottish hotel packed with character and has a warm welcoming atmosphere as soon as you walk in the door. First rate staff who make you welcome and make your stay special. The restaurant set menue is reasonably priced compared to others in the area and the food is of good quality but a little up market if your wanting meat and two veg. But I admit I did enjoy all three courses and would eat there again. The only small disappointment I had was with my breakfast, I asked for porridge and got what I think was an instant packet substitute. Poor show as Perth is in the heart of Scotland and the home of porridge! But this would not put me off returning to this hotel as the staff showed concern over this.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank JetmasterDerbyshire
JasonDoga, General Manager at Huntingtower Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 February 2013

Dear jetmasterderbyshire,

Thank you for your kind words, we pride ourselves on looking after each and every guest to ensure that they are happy at all times. I am very sorry that the porridge was not of standard as all food produced from the hotel consists of fresh produce.

Reviewed 8 February 2013

I first stayed at this hotel some seven years ago and have been back on a number of occasions. The first time I stayed there I was on business and I rang my wife to tell her how good it was. Since then we have been back and every time the standard has never fallen. This surely is the best value hotel in the UK and I do not say that lightly as I travel extensively on business.

Room Tip: you can't fail all rooms are comfortable and spacious

Dear Peter F,

Thank you very much for your kind words I am delighted to hear that the hotel continues to meet you high standard and indeed our own. Thank you for your continued business at the hotel and I look forward to seeing you on your next visit.

Reviewed 5 February 2013

We stayed here about a year ago when it was a Best Western hotel and it has really gone downhill since then. The reception area and public rooms look very grand at first sight, but on closer inspection the paintwork is chipped and shabby, and overall they seem to be neglecting maintenance...the exterior is very shabby. We did not eat in the restaurant as we were visiting family and took all our meals at their home. The morning we left we had breakfast at Dobbies Garden Centre just up the road...two-for-one excellent cooked breakfast and hot drinks for a total of £5.95!!!
We were in room 201 and suffered the same noise from the kitchen fan vent as reviewer robert m...when we complained to the receptionist about the noise, she said "but it goes off at 9pm"...it did, but it came back on at 8 am, and it was impossible to sleep later than that in the morning. All they need to do is fit secondary double glazing to the bed room and bathroom windows. Our very narrow twin beds had sprung matresses which had seen better days, rather lumpy, and we did not sleep well.
We had three nights there and although our first impressions were favourable, we became increasingly frustrated by various failings, such as the fact that we could not obtain the free WIFI connection at any time during our stay, there was nowhere to put our toiletries in the (huge) bathroom (we ended up moving the chair from the bedroom into the bathroom to put stuff on) and the sash windows would not stay open unless you wedged something in the gap.
It all has the air of a failing business and obviously needs a lot of money spent on it to bring it back up to scratch...such a shame.

Room Tip: If you have to stay here...insist on a room away from the kitchen extractor fan noise.
1  Thank discerningdiner56

Dear discerningdiner56,

I have read your review with interest and concern and am currently conducting an investigation into the main points concerned. I apologise for any shortcomings on our behalf here at the hotel

Thank you for taking the time to bring the above issues to my attention.

Reviewed 4 February 2013

Stayed here to break journey from North West to Aviemore and worked well as a travel stop. Hotel is in nice grounds and has some character but seems to be mainly a wedding and conference venue. As such rooms - though good size - could do with redecoration. Staff were helpful and restaurant has good atmosphere. Food value is OK but wine prices are horrendously high - spoils the overall dinner experience.
Breakfast in conservatory was good but portions a bit on the small side.
Overall for the price value was Ok

Dear dashwo,

Here at the hotel we cater for a wide variety of guests of which we aim to look after each and everyone with the same high standard. The Hotel has undergone a massive refurbishment program over the last year to ensure every part of the building is to the same standard, however I do appreciate it is not to everyone’s taste.

I am surprised to hear you say the wine is horrendously high priced, this makes me think an error has been made on your bill as our bottle prices start at £10.95 and go up to £29.95. If you would like to please get in touch on 01738 583771 so I can look into this matter further and the other items mention above.
I look forward to hearing from you.

Reviewed 1 February 2013

My wife & I were on a 2 night mini break. We had not made advance reservations but decided to take “pot luck”. We selected the Huntingtower Hotel as it was on our way home; looked very impressive from the website and we much prefer the country hotel rather than something like the Glasgow Hilton.

We arrived at the hotel at around 4pm and our 1st impression from outside was very good. However we should have turned around and left immediately.

The following are the bullet points of our complaint and show up the very poor standards of the hotel and the service.

1. Arriving in reception, the 2 girls on duty continued chatting and ignored us until a man came in and asked if we were being served. At this point the girls stopped chatting and one attended to us.
2. We were not asked what sort of room we’d prefer (twin / double)
3. Our room (214) was very small. It was clean. That’s the only good thing I can say.
4. The room overlooked the kitchen roof and its large extractor fan vent. It was very noisy.
5. My wife did go to reception to complain about the noise in our room. She was advised we could change to room 215 as it would be quieter. Clearly the receptionist did not know what she was talking about as room 215 still overlooked the fans and was just as noisy as room 214.

6. The noise in both rooms was not helped by the fact that the windows were single glazed.
7. The room was cold because
i. The single glazed windows
ii. The heating was not working
8. The bed was possibly the worst bed I have ever had the misfortune to try and sleep in.
i. The mattress was misshapen so you felt like you were rolling off the edge of the bed all the time. It was also very very hard.
ii. The pillows were nothing more than thin lumpy bits of material.

Whatever else a hotel does or does not do, it should be able to deliver a good nights’ sleep. There is no point in spending money on décor and then ignoring the basic requirements (ie: comfy bed!)

9. The en-suite bath room was cold (single glazed windows and no heating) plus there was absolutely nowhere to put toiletries. All it needed was a convenient shelf.
10. There was NO HOT WATER. I do not expect to pay £90 for bed & breakfast and then not be able to have a wash or shave. I did mention this at checkout, but there was no hint of an apology. I am well aware that boilers can break, usually at the most inconvenient times, but in those cases does not good customer relations suggest that guests should be offered some sort of alternative (hot water in a bowl?) or at least a good refund?
11. Dinner on the evening of the 11th was actually quite nice and fair value for money. However our meal was spoilt because the waiter had us in and out of the restaurant in less than 30 minutes. That really has to be some kind of record!
12. We asked for a glass of port after dinner. We were served a measure of port in a plain glass tumbler - the sort you might find on bedside table.
13. Sitting in the lounges, it was cold (heating not working). But there were lovely fireplaces lying empty. Why, in a Scottish country house, in the middle of winter, are the fires not laid and lit?? And please…… don’t even dare say ‘elf ‘n safety because that is just an excuse for lazy management.
14. Finally… breakfast. The breakfast area was lovely. It all looked good, and we enjoyed our juice. The waitress brought our coffee and took our order for breakfast. We were the only ones in the restaurant when she took our order. She then brought us totally the wrong order.. not once but TWICE and the scrambled eggs I ended up with were unlike anything I have ever seen or eaten in my 51 years on this planet. Disgusting.

At this point we gave up and left, very tired, for the 3 hour drive home.

Room Tip: Avoid Room 214 & 215 or any other room that overlooks the Kitchen roof
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank robert m
JasonDoga, General Manager at Huntingtower Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 February 2013

As discussed by telephone I have received your complaint. I have also corresponded in writing, I apologise that it has taken some time to process the letter which is self explanatory, I hope the outcome is satisfactory, therefore I would like you to consider staying at the hotel again in the future.

Reviewed 30 January 2013

I stayed for a night in this nice building but my stay was ruined by the surly, dour staff. It made me embarrassed to be Scottish. Apparently, its coming under new management and I hope the new owner takes out the plasterboard on the first floor and allows it to look how it was built to look.. Once again, the staff were a miserable bunch, bar one, who was chirpy and accommodating at breakfast.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank HIDHISNINSIXNSINXISN

May I take this time to apologise for the service that you have received while staying with us at the hotel. This is not the usual high standard that we deliver to our guests. If you would not object I would like to discuss your stay further in an effort to improve our customer service, if you are happy to do this please call me on 01738 583771.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Perth
Sunbank House Hotel
#9 of 18 in Perth
Royal George Hotel
Royal George Hotel
#7 of 18 in Perth

Been to Huntingtower Hotel? Share your experiences!