“A Nice Surprise”

Ranked #2 of 18 Hotels in Perth
Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
“A Nice Surprise”
Reviewed 26 June 2013

I didn't quite know what to expect here; it looked ok on the website, but then many look ok but are not when you get there, and as I'd been struggling to find accommodation on the dates I wanted I was wary that the hotel may not be too good. What a surprise I had when I arrived - the location is very rural and therefore very quiet (lovely), the staff were very welcoming, and the room I had was really good. However, the best feature of this hotel has to be the food; it is simply amazing and not expensive (£20 for a 3 course dinner). I rarely eat in hotels as they are usually ordinary at best, but this one was really good. Difficult to find fault; booked to return a few days later and have already booked to stay here on my next business trip.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
JasonDoga, General Manager at Huntingtower Hotel, responded to this review, 13 July 2013
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay, I am pleased to hear you were pleasantly surprised upon your arrival, I will ensure to pass your kind words onto all staff concerned.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (206)
  • Hebrew first
Wick, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 June 2013

I would like to review this hotel which we could not stay in due to my husband going to hospital They refused a refund unless the hospital wrote a note Which we thought very callas and the receptionist and general manager very rude We gave over a weeks warning but to no avail so This is a warning to anyone thinking of stay do not

Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank charmaine390
Thank you for your comments. Like many other businesses we offer various rates which are linked to different terms and conditions, unfortunately your booking was made under a non-refundable, non-transferrable highly discounted rate, which was explained at the time of booking and confirmed in writing to you. I am sure you will agree we did try to discuss this with you and offer a reasonable option for you which you declined. I am sorry if this has caused you distress at a difficult time and would be happy to make a similar offer to you if you wish to discuss further
dunfermline
Reviewed 24 June 2013

This time we brought friends, you're always nervous when taking friends to a place you've liked, incase its not so good or they don't like it. No need to worry, it was just as good one year on, and, they loved it. Food brilliant, staff helpful, rooms large and clean. Fantastic value for money. This time, we won't be as long as a year to return. Already planning our next visit!

Room Tip: No problems on either floor, except remember not to dress in your room with curtains open when you f...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
JasonDoga, General Manager at Huntingtower Hotel, responded to this review, 25 June 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post another lovely review, I am delighted to hear we did not disappoint the second time round. It pleases me to hear that you are already planning your third visit and I look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit.
Stranraer, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 June 2013

We thoroughly enjoyed our short stay in this hotel that is set within the peace and quiet of a rural location.
Truly great food in a dining room with lots of character.
If in the area we would be happy to stay again.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to post your kind words, I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed the peaceful setting of our hotel and will choose to stay again in the future should the opportunity arise. I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel.
Scotland
Reviewed 18 June 2013

For many years this has been one of the better hotels in the Perth area and indeed it used to be one of the best.
We went in for a coffee a few weeks ago, asked for decaff and was told they only had instant... which is not really good enough these days for a hotel of this sort. I made this point in an email to the hotel manager and - what's worse - have had no reply whatsoever. Instant coffee suggests a poor kitchen, but an ignored comment tells me the management doesn't really care.
I see, though, that the manager does respond to comments on this website and I'd be interested to hear what he/she has to say about this.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank BigBadBruin
JasonDoga, General Manager at Huntingtower Hotel, responded to this review, 19 June 2013
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent visit to the hotel, here at the Huntingtower we take good or bad comments very seriously and make a point to respond to every communication that is sent to the hotel so it does concern me to hear you have not had a response to your email. I would like to discuss this further with you if you wouldn’t mind contacting the hotel on 01738 583771 and asking to speak to myself or Debbie Scott so we can resolve this situation for you.
Perth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 June 2013

I have previously written praising the Huntingtower but after my last visit i'm wondering if they have become a victim of their own success. My family, as part of our Christmas had bought us a "Tea with a tipple" voucher which is basically afternoon tea with either a glass of wine or a sherry. We had to book when we were going so we arranged it for Saturday at 2.30 a couple of weeks ago. On arrival, the barmaid did not know what "Tea & a tipple" was, then she did not know where we could sit as there were private functions in the bar and the restaurant. Finally, we were seated in the lounge at a table with a huge lamp which made it impossible to fit the tea items - my husband had to move another table over for her to sit the tea & sandwiches on. We then discovered that the tea was actually coffee so had to send that back. The sandwiches were sad, curled up at the edges looking pathetic. We were asked by a manager if everything was satisfactory and I told him no. He looked at the sandwiches left on the plate and said that he was sorry and although they were very busy that day, we should have had better service. He said that he would send us out a voucher to make up for it but over 2 weeks later and sadly no voucher! I used to enjoy going there for a meal but after this experience, I would think twice in future.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank AnneL534
JasonDoga, General Manager at Huntingtower Hotel, responded to this review, 15 June 2013
I am genuinely sorry that you did not find the service and experience on par to your previous visits, I have emailed the buyer of your gift voucher on two occasions to try and gain contact with yourself as this was the only contact details we have and have as yet received no response. Please get in touch on 01738 583771 when convenient for yourselves so we are able rectify the situation.
edinburgh
Reviewed 10 June 2013

Stayed at this hotel very recently to celebrate a friends birthday. The hotel is lovely and is set in beautiful and very well maintained gardens. On entering the hotel, that has a large parking area near to the front so not far too walk, you notice the reception area that is cosy and welcoming. We were to early to check-in however when we did it was no problem and the staff were extremely welcoming and pleasant. The room we had was large with what appeared to be two single beds pushed together, however it was very comfortable. The room had a sofa and table with a wall mounted TV. There were also tea and coffee making facilities. The bathroom was more than adequate with a bath and shower over.
The bar area is nice as is the restaurant. The food is lovely and is superb value. £19.95 for a three-course meal. There was a mix-up with a food order however what we did eat was delicious. There was not one complaint from the 10 of us who were dining. The drink and food bill was a very pleasant surprise. Does make a change that other establishments could learn from.
Breakfast was a self service for fruit juices and cereals and then a choice from the menu (including full Scottish) for hot food. Again plentiful.
Overall a lovely place for a short stay and for visiting Perth.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
Thank you very much for your lovely comments I am delighted to you enjoyed your stay and found everything thing to your liking, I do apologise over the mix up on the orders however I am pleased to hear it did not deter from your enjoyable stay.