“A nice surprise”

Ranked #2 of 18 Hotels in Perth
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
“A nice surprise”
Reviewed 3 November 2013

We were wanting to stay a night in Perth to go to a concert, and all of the good city hotels were fully booked. I had noticed the signs to the Huntingtower a few times while passing on the Crieff road, and as it is only a short distance out felt it was worth a try.
The hotel is part of a small group, and is a country house type, with an original building and a tastefully added more recent wing.
The reception staff were friendly and helpful from our first contact by phone onwards. I got the impression that the ethos was to create an unpretentious genuine Scottish experience which foreign travelers and locals would appreciate.
We had our dinner in the traditional restaurant, and the quality of food, value for money and environment was excellent. After dinner, the taxi ride to the concert was a short ride into Perth.
The room we had (417) was in the modern wing overlooking the front, and was specious, well appointed and clean. We had room service breakfast which was good and arrived promptly and without fuss.
Being critical, I found the lack of bathroom bits a bit irritating. The hotel has gone in for Travel Lodge style soap dispensers, which either shoot out meager amounts of soap sideways, or not at all. I realise fully cost implications, but with a global perspective, giving a small cake of soap and a sachet of shampoo is a drop in the ocean. I was also surprised that a hotel proudly announcing green credentials reverts to plastic cups (wrapped again in plastic) in the bathroom. We were staying a Saturday, and would have appreciated if Sunday breakfast could have extended to 11 (10am) and checkout to 12 (11am).
On the whole, it was a very good experience, and I would certainly stay again if visiting Perth.

Room Tip: One of the '400' rooms (odd numbers overlook the front.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank crawfie
JasonDoga, General Manager at Huntingtower Hotel, responded to this review, 15 December 2013
Thank you very much for taking the time to comment on your stay, I am happy to hear that you found your stay to be a nice surprise. I am also pleased to hear that you found the staff friendly and helpful from the beginning and also that the food was of excellent quality.

I have taken on board your comments regarding the toiletries and the cups; this is something we shall look into in the future should similar comments arise.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (200)
  • Hebrew first
Stirling, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 October 2013

We stayed last weekend for the Murder Mystery break and had a great time. Lovely comfortable Hotel, great room, lovely food and the staff are so friendly. The Eye Spy actors are so professional and we haven't stopped talking about it since we came home.
So looking forward to staying at this hotel again - and have already booked for the next Murder Mystery break there.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
JasonDoga, General Manager at Huntingtower Hotel, responded to this review, 30 November 2013
Thank you for your kind words I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed the Murder Mystery and signed up for the next one already I look forward to seeing you again In February.
Richmond, North Yorkshire
Reviewed 29 October 2013

Why anybody reviewing this hotel would choose to award it fewer than 4 stars remains a total mystery. My wife & I have recently returned from a midweek break - our third visit this year - & everything was just perfect. The room (409) was extremely comfortable, all the staff were unfailingly polite & attentive, the meals were beautifully presented & prepared by an excellent chef, Bill Mcnicholl, & the surroundings were peaceful & looked at their best in the Autumn sunshine. There is even ample free car parking & free wi fi in the hotel. We couldn't fault any of it, & we will certainly return in the near future. An easy to award 5 stars on all accounts.

2 Thank 726BobG726
Thank you very much for your kind review. I am so please to find that everything was perfect and that the staff were polite and attentive, I will be sure to pass on your comments especially to Bill and his team in the kitchen they will be thrilled to hear them.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 October 2013 via mobile

Me and my husband attended our god daugters wedding last week and stayed for the week. We had dinner almost everynight the food was wonderful but the staff made our night we were served by lisa sonya and james who made our night not only helpful but so friendly taking time to talk to us and seemed genuinly interested wonderful staff and will be back soon

• Stayed October 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay, I am pleases to hear that you found the food wonderful and the staff helpful and friendly, I will ensure to pass your comments on to Lisa, Sonya and James who will be delighted to hear your kind words.
UK
Reviewed 26 October 2013 via mobile

Very good and comfortable hotel.
A lovely hotel where the staff were polite and respectful. The room was fantastic and food good value and quality. Free wifi a big big plus. I love the drenched in tartan look. The rural location just outside Perth was a delight in autumn. I look forward to a summer visit to this hotel. I recommend this hotel.

Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Thank you for your kind review it pleases me to hear that you found the staff polite and respectful and I will ensure to pass these comments along to all concerned.
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 October 2013

We stayed for the weekend recently for a friend's wedding. When we arrived I was really impressed that the hotel was furbished in a traditional highland manner but wasn't at all scruffy. All of our meals were very nice and the three course dinner is excellent value. I was particularly impressed with how accommodating the staff were- we were served throughout the weekend by a wonderful waitress who made suggestions for the (slightly) fussy eater in our party.
Will definitely stay again.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you very much for your lovely comments I am delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay and found the staff to be accommodating. I hope I have the opportunity to welcome you back.
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 October 2013

Stayed at hotel for one night with afternoon tea, evening meal and breakfast. Bedroom was very spacious, warm and clean, evening meal in the main restaurant area was excellent with period fire place and wood panelling walls creating a lovely atmosphere, the food was of a high standard throughout our stay and I could not fault the staff as they were very professional and helpful.

I would definetely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Gale S
Thank you for taking the time to post this kind review I am delighted to hear that you found the hotel and the restaurant to be excellent. The staff will be pleased to hear you found them professional and helpful so I will ensure to pass on your comments.