“Overpriced, late and unhelpful” 1 of 5 bubbles

Cuisines: Cafe, British
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Seating
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Seating
Brecon, United Kingdom
“Overpriced, late and unhelpful”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2013

We arrived sat ourselves down without a welcome, browsed the menu and decided on 1 toastie and 1 bowl of soup.

The toastie arrived within 10 minutes (cheese partially melted and overfilled with uncooked very large pieces of onion).

My wife had actually finished her toastie when I decided to enquire about my soup, as I had now waited 20 minutes for pre-prepared soup. Despite seeing the young waitress write down my order I was told that it was my fault as I hadn't ordered soup in the first place....:(

I then waited a further 10 minutes for them to fill a bowl of soup and bring it to my table without an apology, on top of this the soup was too salty and very poor.

There was no excuse for this as only 3 tables were occupied, one of which already had their order and they had 4 staff working.

Very poor reflection on the local area and I can only hope that tourists do not stop here or judge the rest of Scotland based in this place.

I will not return!!!

• Visited August 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank RWM4204

Dunfermline
“A bit too much of an old-style experience”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2013

One of the perennial gripes about the Scottish tourist trade is that one can turn up at an isolated eatery in the middle of nowhere at 2.01 pm only to be told that the kitchen closed at 2 and they will serve you no food. Incredibly frustrating. It's less prevalent nowadays than it used to be and many businesses, such as the House of Bruar a few miles up the road from this business, will offer some sort of food throughout the day (more at breakfast, lunch and dinner times, but always something appropriate is available). This is particularly important on a road like the A9, where people who may have been driving for some hours will stop for a break and a bite to eat throughout the day. When we tried Allium (which is not in the middle of nowhere) for the first time this month, we unfortunately had the former rather than the latter experience.

I drive the A9 quite often and always try to find somewhere for a coffee or lunch stop en route. For example, Bruar is very good if a bit expensive, but it's too busy for us on Saturday afternoons in peak holiday season. We'd noticed Allium before and thought we'd give it a try this time. It's essentially a high end garden centre (lot of nice stock and a good selection of tasteful cards, gifts etc) with a coffee shop serving a limited selection. The selection may be limited, but the quality is excellent - I have never had such a lovely toastie and my wife enjoyed an enormous slice of homemade sponge. Pricing was reasonable and we were certainly far from the madding crowd - even the close proximity of the A9 was not a big deal. The décor is tasteful and the toilets characterful - if that's possible - and very clean.

Sadly, we felt very uncomfortable during our short time at Allium. Like one of the previous reviewers, we found the manner of the person serving us eccentric, abrupt and quite unfriendly. When my wife went to order, she was told that we were lucky to be served at all (the café was virtually empty, but we had arrived at 2.35, which looks like it must have been just past the witching hour)! Then, when she asked to order a scone, the individual serving simply laughed at her. There are ways and ways of saying that one has run out of stock, but that is not one that is likely to generate repeat business. Even once we had been served, the same individual came round all the tables, including ours, ostentatiously clearing away the menus. Naturally, we felt rushed and unwelcome. Maybe this was just one person having a bad day, given others' positive reviews before, but we will not be giving Allium a second chance.

I was left wondering what the target audience for the business is. There are tourist board brown signposts for it on the A9, so they must be aiming for business from passing trade as well as from the local Highland Perthshire community. But if they are serious about that, then they have to offer some sort of food throughout opening hours and ensure that staff are somewhat cheerier than was our experience. It's a shame, as so much of what they offer is excellent.

• Visited July 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank TheDEXExpress
Perth, Scotland, United Kingdom
“Very Enjoyable”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2013

Really liked this place, seen their website on the google listing and had to pop in

Excellent food and service

have a look at their site

• Visited June 2013
2 Thank Dale M
Perth, United Kingdom
“Walked out after 50min wait for a sandwich!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2013

One of a group of 4 cyclists we stopped off for lunch last fri . We arrived at 1.30pm to be informed that the soup, although still on the backboard, was finished. We decided on sandwiches and it was pointed out to us that if we were ordering food (presumable this didnt apply to cakes) that we were at the end of a queue of 5 and that we would have a 10 -15 min wait.The proprietors off-putting unpleasant manner should have have been a warning sign, but as 15 min wait is no big deal and our next stop a good 45 min away we decided to stay. After 50 minutes we had to admit defeat and decided to leave , during this time I had observed others were having difficulty with their orders as the young waiter whom was all of 10 years old seemed to repeatedly be taking trays of food to the same table, I also overheard him being informed to tell customers there was no bread or baked potatoes, after that the young boy then proceeded to remove the menu's from the tables. This is only 2pm in the afternoon. !!

To sumarise the service was poor to non existence ,I am unable to pass comment on the food as never recieved it , the atmosphere was pretty soulless and the proprietor appeared disinterested nor there was any explanation or apology for the delay in service.

Retrospectively looking at the 5 star reviews on this site can only presume that we were in a different restaurant !!

• Visited April 2013
3 Thank Louise M
devon england
“Fresh scones too good to miss”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 March 2013

Bacon buttie followed by a fresh scone, then a look round the garden centre, just think I died and went to heaven, shame it's a 1,000 mile round trip for us or we would be there every week!

• Visited February 2013