“Terrible Hotel”
Review of Royal George Hotel

Royal George Hotel
Ranked #7 of 18 Hotels in Perth
Reviewed 22 August 2011

Awful hotel, book this at your peril, digusting bedding stained and holed, the room and corridor stank, mouldy smell. There spiders webs on the ceiling and the whole room was unclean. Check in was like "Faulty Towers", we were not shown to our room, just pointed in the direction. The room looked out onto a jungle of weeds through the ripped net curtains. The legs on the bed were wedged in position and fell off when moved. The bedding was badly soiled with who knows what, and ripped. Bathroom was a joke. And to top things off we were woken up at 4.30 am with the cleaners doing the hoovering ! At breakfast the food was luke warm at best, but the plate was hot ! Check out was just as bad, the monosyllabic guy who was on the desk was anything but curtious. All this for only £100 a night, rip off.

Room Tip: Do not stay here -- worst hotel in Scotland !!
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Jim W
theroyalgeorge, Owner at Royal George Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 September 2011

Following your comments regarding your stay, I have looked into all the points you raise. Whilst I conceed there was a ripped net curtain (it appears someone had attempted to open it whilst it was caught in the closed window) and there was a broken leg on the the double bed, both of which have now been replaced, your claims of spiders, mouldy smells and an unclean room, were I'm afraid complete fantasy. I also explained to you that the land outside the bedroom does not belong to the hotel, meaning there is little we can do by way of maintenance.
Your claims the hotel is the worst in Scotland, whilst defamatory are somewhat laughable. It is a pity that whilst making a genuine complaint regarding the bed and the net curtain people reading your review will find serious doubt in the validity of your review.

Reviewed 17 August 2011

Came as a Group Trip with Cardiff Arms Choir. Had read previous reviews and was concerned in a few areas, but what ever happened in the past, is no longer. Breakfast whatever you want, if you want extra anything you only have to ask. Local staff who bent over backwards to please and provide good service, not just to our group but also to families and individual travellers. Top marks to Scott The deputy manager who manned the bar for some thirsty Welsh singers well into the wee small hours on more than one Occasion!. without disturbance to other guests. Rooms were newly decorated with beautiful co-ordinated furnishing. Traditional Comfortable and a million miles away from the Modern multinational plastic hotels. Only down sides were No lift (2 floors) due to listed building status. Hot water took a while to come through but this was due to the room previously being out of use during re-decoration.

Room Tip: Rooms 43 to 49 looked all good with views over river. a few rooms apparently had no
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 16 August 2011

Its an OK old hotel, old fashioned, it could do with a modernisation whilst keeping the traditional elements. Lovely setting in restaurant / breakfast.

Parking is an issue but the hotel was built when Henry Ford was a boy! But it is a pain.

Room had seen better days, tiles in bathroom looked like they were about to fall off.

All in all - it is central and pleasant but nothing special.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 8 August 2011

Great service, food excellent quality well presented ,staff all very friendly ,All wedding guests delighted with a great day and I would not hesitate to recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a fantastic wedding or any other family celebration.
Top tip try the high tea fantastic value.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank over50bob
Reviewed 26 July 2011

Reading some of the reviews on here is amazing. I have been staying at this hotel on a regular basis for about the last 7 years. The criticism of the new suite rooms in the attic space by the person who booked the Chinese Suite I find unbelievable. Having stayed in these newly furbished suites quite a few times in the last year they are extremely comfortable and with plenty of ventilation to ensure the room is not too hot. I am 6'2 and even in my 50's I find I am flexible enough to bend my head slightly when using the toilet. As for the spotlights even after having a superb evening in some of the local drinking holes I have not considered these too bright.
I have also many times enjoyed breakfast with colleagues at one of the tables for 2 and have never encountered space problems, possibly we are far more organised than other visitors.
In summary I have over the years stayed in many of the hotels in Perth and if visitors are disappointed with this hotel then your only option is not to visit Perth!

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business
5  Thank compliant1
Reviewed 24 July 2011

My wife and I stayed at The Royal George on Saturday 23rd July 2011. We were holding our wedding at the hotel.

Our first impression of the hotel was that it was very clean, spacious and tidy and staff were very welcoming and friendly.

When I arrived I was invited to park my car in the hotel car park which consisted of many spaces that my family and other guest could park and it is right next to the easy acess entrance door. I had serveral things to bring into the hotel which would have been a lot of work to take in had it not been for staff coming out to assist me.

I have to say that our wedding went very smoothly and this was all down to the staff that made it possible. Everything had been prepared by the hotel well in advance so it took away all the stress on the approach to our big day.

The room we had was beautiful and overlooked the river which was a classic touch. The room was spacious, clean and comfortable and we both had a great sleep.

The food served during our wedding and the following day was delicious. We were served very promptly and we didn't feel that we had to hang around waiting to be served. Service was alway accompanied with a friendly smile.

Staff at the hotel went out of their way to make our day so special and on behalf of my wife and I we would like to say a big thank you for a 1st class service. You are asset to you trade and profession and we will be back to stay very soon.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank hebbourn
Reviewed 22 July 2011

Thanks for a great stay which was a gift from our family, we had one of the newly refurbished suites at the very top of the Hotel and we can only say how impressed we were with the facilities on offer and high standard the Royal George offers. The Hotel is clearly going places and has quite obviously undergone extensive refurbishment throughout which is a credit to the current owners. We will be back and would certainly recommend others to visit here and meantime keep up the good work.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple