“30 mins walk - Friendly staff, clean uni rooms, cheap accommodation”
Review of Perth Youth Hostel

Perth Youth Hostel
UK
“30 mins walk - Friendly staff, clean uni rooms, cheap accommodation”
Reviewed 15 July 2014

A good 30 mins walk from the station, or 15 mins from the Black Watch museum. This is a University style summer stay in en-suite rooms with a shared kitchenette in the unit blocks and has a lovely campus and is close to bus links and local supermarkets. Staff are very friendly and there is a laundrette on-site.
Kitchens have the usual and cultlery.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank johnretroreload
SYHAHostelling, Guest Relations Manager at Perth Youth Hostel, responded to this review, 18 July 2014
jh6056

Thank you very much for taking the time to post your review on how you found our Youth Hostel in Perth. We really appreciate you taking the time to do so and we are even more happy to read that you enjoyed your stay and that our team looked after you.

Thanks

Lorna Padden

Families
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Sunnyvale, California
Reviewed 5 September 2013

Stopped over for a night in a private-room on the way into the highland. Everything is basic but I won't ask too much for 19GBP a night. Note it's not easy to find if you arrive late in the night as there is no sign on the road outside the school.

One more thing: their Internet blocks my Google voice app, so I wasn't able to phone home using GV.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 August 2013 via mobile

I was sitting an exam early in the morning at Perth college, so decided to stay the night before. For my needs the hostel was perfect - cheap (£22 ensuite single room), right on campus (the hostel is student accommodation that is used by the YHA during summer months) and quiet. I stayed mid week so maybe it is busier during the weekend.

The apartment my room was in was clean but the hallway smelt pretty bad. As it is student accodation during term time things like this were fairly understabdable. My room itself was very clean and was fine - having the ensuite was particularly wonderful. The pillow provided was absolutely laughable though. Definitely couldn't sleep on that for more than a couple of nights! The kitchen had bowls plates etc and was nice and new looking.

There is someone at the reception 24/7 (despite the opposite being suggested when you book!) which is nice. My only qualm is the guy who booked me in told me virtually nothing I needed to know such as where to put my laundry - meaning the following day I had to traipse all the way back to my room to collect it having just stripped my bed and left it in the room.

To summarise - not luxury by any stretch of the immagination but very decent for a hostel and good value for money.

• Stayed July 2013
South Wales UK
Reviewed 1 August 2013

Upon arrival and having checked in we were advised that the Internet was free once you got an access code to login which you would have to do on each occasion, but having then moved over to our rooms we found that while Microsoft Outlook could not receive or send any messages, the same situation was found using an Apple iPhone and the email 'App', which is about as useful as a chocolate fireguard while trying to stay in touch!

Instant Messaging between iPhones is also blocked.

It would also seem that this 'protocol' has possibly been enabled across all University of Highlands & Islands locations, however it was only a direct interface with the IT Department that identified the answer to the 'problems'.

While we were provided with en-suite single rooms, on the day we arrived, they were having the shower heads cleaned & checked for Legionnaires Disease due to H&S requirements!

However until it was made known to reception that the showers themselves took a long time to drain. After 2 minutes of the water coming out of the shower head you stood in 1.5 inches of water due to the slow drainage through partly blocked pipes for which unlike the shower heads there is no 'planned maintenance' it's only when you report it that something happens which is really comforting.

The walk into the City Centre takes around 35 to 40 minutes and is downhill which on a wet day can be a 'soaking experience' without the right gear, while unlike other hostels, there is no 'drying room' back at the college.

Going left out of the college in about the same time of walking you will come to Tesco which is good for any forgotten food items, as the small 'shop' on site does not carry much and does not have bread or milk!

One of the best places to visit we found was the Black Watch Museum & Castle, which is about 45 minutes walking from the college and was excellent.

Room Tip: Check you room closely when you get in as I found drawing pins on the floor after a 'deep clean...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
Cairo, Egypt
Reviewed 11 August 2012

I never stayed in a college dorm before so I was pleasantly surprised. They were able to move me into a first floor room, which made me feel a bit guilty as it was handicap accessilble. The shower took some getting used to and the sink was lower than I was used to but I made due. My room was in a four bedroom flat that had its own kitchen/sitting room. No tv but that was okay as I wasn't in the room at all during the day. Plenty of storage space in the room. There was a funny smell in the room, but some travel potpourri did the trick. The area was convenient to the gorcery store and bank. However, since I arrived at night, it was difficult to find the college campus and I got lost. Thanks to a wonderful Scotsman, I was able to find the place.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled solo