“A little gem of a hotel”
Review of Grampian Hotel

Grampian Hotel
Ranked #14 of 18 Hotels in Perth
Reviewed 28 September 2009

We stayed in this hotel for one night whilst attending a wedding outside Perth. It was not the first hotel I tried to book but having left the booking to the last week or two prior to the wedding I didn't have as much choice as I would if I had booked it a month or two before. However, it is a lovely little hotel. The staff were warm and friendly and considering they were expecting a wedding on the day we arrived, they were cool, calm and collected. The entrance is a little dated, as is the exterior, but the room was fresh, clean, spacious and just perfect for our needs. The bed was large and very comfortable. The best news was that we slept late the following morning, until 9.45am but breakfast was served until 11am - a serious bonus and, it was fab!! Book it!

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 2 September 2009

A bit old fashioned, rooms updated but still poor. Bathroom dirty.

Paid £130 per night which was v expensive in my view.

Only 9 parking spaces at the front and didnt get one the first night which was a pain.

On the plus side great location and v nice breakfast. The owners were great and tried very hard.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled solo
Reviewed 26 August 2009

My husband, 4 year old and 2 parents stayed for a night at the Grampian. The hotel is nicely convenient to the train station but is right on a pretty noisy road. I had to open the windows to cool down on the (surprisingly) warm night we were there and although I could sleep through the noise, it did bother my hubby.

The room was pretty small especially after we got a camp bed in for our son. A bit of a chore getting into the bathroom. However, it was very clean, bed was comfy and the shower was excellent. The staff were very helpful and friendly.

My parents had a newly remodelled room and it had a much higher ceiling and better windows than our room. Plus a window in the bathroom so they could open a window and not hear the traffic we did.

Breakfast was an excellent 'Full Scottish Breakfast' in a pleasant dining room with an unfortunate view of an abandoned but beautiful old house across the street. Parking was right out the front of the hotel.

Not necessarily my first choice on a return to Perth but we enjoyed our very short stay.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 31 May 2009

Our "Executive" room was large and comfortable, with a few quirks. Absolutely no closet or wardrobe or any kind, just one small rod against one wall to hang a couple of garments. Poor housekeeping service; repeatedly failed to replace towels, toilet paper, etc. as required.

Good food and service in the dining rooms. Proprietors Duncan and Claire are very hardworking, cheerful, and eager to help.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 May 2009

I stayed here for work in March with two colleagues. I had an Executive Double room - quite pricey but very large spacious room with huge bed, a sofa etc and a nice bathroom. My colleagues were very put off by their first viewing of the hotel but were ok once they saw the rooms. I knew it would be ok as I checked out Trip Advisor before booking. All in all it was a very nice place and the breakfast was ok too. The staff that we dealt with were all very friendly and nice. I am staying here again in May for another event and would definitely return.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 5 May 2009

I stayed here with my partner for a night. I read through the other reviews on TripAdvisor and i was looking forward to staying.

However after returning and reading the reviews again i feel as though we didn't receive half the service others did.

We paid for an executive room which was big but not what other people were describing their executive rooms as and we think we were given a double or family room instead. We paid £85 which we both agreed was fair but wouldn't pay anymore than that.
Bathroom was small and the shower was awful-hardly any power in it at all.

Staff were nice, don't know if they were just quiet or shy but in all the times we walked in and out we didn't get any interaction and were never asked how we were or if everything was ok so we felt we couldn't talk to them. When checking out, all we got was a simple bye.

Hotel is in a great location. We walked everywhere and found some great local pubs and restaurants a 5-10minute walk away. We have only ever gone through Perth before and its a lovely city so was nice being so central to go exploring. Also parking was free outside hotel.

Overall it was a fine, small, no frills hotel. I would recommend it to people just using it as a base to explore surrounding areas.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 April 2009

Stayed in this hotel recently on a city break...price was reasonable, service was fair, location was very good but accomodation was very dated and somewhat shabby! Room was warm and comfortable but hall was "foosty" smelling and evidence of cracking paintwork and disrepair was more than evident..!

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple