“Fantastic!”

Fern Cottage Restaurant
Ranked #5 of 56 Restaurants in Pitlochry
Good for: Local cuisine, Business meetings, Romantic, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Fern Cottage Restaurant in the heart of Pitlochry is a firm favourite, both for local residents and visitors to Highland Perthshire. We are located as close as you can get to the heart of this picturesque Victorian town. Fern Cottage Restaurant offers a warm Highland welcome, truly tasty food and personal service for every customer. Our menus have an emphasis on flavour, the freshness of Scotlands' larder and a taste of the Mediterranean. There is now more than ever on offer with different menus at lunch and dinner times. Retaining much of the original ethos of using Scottish, seasonal ingredients to create dishes with a Mediterranean twist, our food is cooked to order and guarantees a treat for your taste-buds, whether a classic or a contemporary dish. Fern Cottage is now on winter hours. We will be open for lunches from 12noon with last orders at 2.15pm. We will re-open for pre-theatre or a la carte in the evening all using seasonal produce - we offer you something special every time. Head Chef Rifat Aycan has created the new menus using an exciting new range of dishes packed with flavour and all beautifully presented. Whether front of house or 'behind the kitchen door, every member of our team is dedicated to ensuring you enjoy your visit, spread the word and come back for more!
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
“Fantastic!”
Reviewed 25 August 2014

Ate here tonight. I had the fish of the day with linguini and seafood. Very tasty. For dessert I had the lemon and lime pie which was very soft and light. Could have eaten the entire pie easily. Service was quick and very friendly throughout the night. Prices were 18 pounds for the main and 7 pounds for the dessert. We got there just after 8 so it was not too busy. Had a nice congenial atmosphere without being loud. Highly recommended.

• Visited August 2014

Kilbirnie, United Kingdom
“excellent”
Reviewed 25 August 2014

Could not fault this restaurant, all the staff were very pleasant and the food was perfect. The haggis starter was just the right portion size and the corn fed chicken with risotto and the poached salmon also with a risotto were both very good, even though the restaurant was busy the waiting staff were always attentive.

Fife, United Kingdom
“food very disappointing”
Reviewed 23 August 2014

This may be the worst meal I have been given for years. The haggis was served in Bisto gravy not a great mix if you have not tried it before do not bother. The salmon was cooked fine but floating on savoury rice pudding ....Risotto made with cream ....again not a classic preparation method perhaps because it is not good .
The service and restaurant were good which made it more disappointing.
Do yourself a favour find another place to eat!

• Visited August 2014
KarenAycan, Owner at Fern Cottage Restaurant, responded to this review, 25 August 2014
So sorry that you didn’t enjoy your meal in our Restaurant last Saturday evening!
In response to your comments - our most popular and successful starter is our Haggis with Arran mustard and whisky jus and we are constantly being asked for the recipe!! Here is a recent e mail that I received from a couple in Australia:-
My wife and I had a fabulous meal at your restaurant on the 19th July, and I wonder if I could ask a huge favour? I had the Haggis in Whisky jus, which was really yummy, and I would dearly love to make it at home, here in Australia. Would you mind sending me the recipe (including the composition for your haggis!) so that I can treat the rest of the family to it? I guarantee this will not be made available to any commercial venue!
It is important to state that we do not have ‘Bisto’ or any bought in stock on the premises as all our stocks are home-made in our very own Kitchen by our very own Chef!!
The Grilled Salmon served on a bed of risotto finished with a white wine and parmesan cream is probably the dish that is served most regularly in the restaurant as it is also on our set lunch menu – and once again we receive numerous compliments about it. It clearly states that it is finished with white wine and parmesan cream on the menu – so obviously it is not the classic recipe!!
All our customers are asked to fill in a comment card about their dining experience at Fern Cottage as customer feedback is so important to us – and we often make changes as a result of customer comments - however as we have been serving both these dishes very successfully all season, pleasing numerous customers, we will not be reviewing either dish as a result of your review. Thank you for your kind comments about the service and the restaurant itself, but it is clear that the food at Fern Cottage – which is all freshly prepared and cooked to order using locally sourced, quality ingredients, is not to your taste and that is a great shame!
“Lovely anniversary meal”
Reviewed 18 August 2014 via mobile

My wife and I dined here on our wedding anniversary and had a very good meal. The service from booking the table to arrival and during our meal was excellent and each member of staff that served us were very good, especially as it was very busy. A lovely restaurant and we would highly recommend dining here as we will dine here when we visit Pitlochry again.

Kirkcaldy, United Kingdom
“Lovely setting, more milk please!”
Reviewed 14 August 2014

Visited this restaurant while on holiday in Pitlochry on two separate occasions. Lovely outside seating area and a good value for money - only £1.80 for a pot of tea! However, while the staff were very friendly, when I received my tea I didn't get any milk, and after asking for some I only got 1/3 of a jug - definitely not enough for a whole pot of tea! The next time we visited the restaurant we had food as well as a pot of tea (my partner and I had a pot each) and the food was delicious. However, yet again we received no milk, and after chasing this up we received the same amount of milk for double the amount of tea. I realise this is a very small thing to be so concerned about - it is just milk after all - but I feel like it is a simple task that should not be so difficult to carry out. Would still return, but perhaps with a hip flask full of milk!