“The mysterious mushroom”

Ranked #6 of 56 Restaurants in Pitlochry
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, After-hours, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 3 August 2014

We had a dreadful meal - both ordered scallops to start - very meagre amount of scallops and no more than 5 small lettuce leaves with lots of pancetta and a rasher of bacon on top. served luke warm - not worth the money.
Husband had the fish which was overcooked
I had beef bourguignon. which was fairly tasteless - I found a piece of something black and rubbery measuring about 4" by 1" in the meat. When I complained the waitress took my plate away then returned to tell me it was a mushroom which had not been chopped up. I have cooked professionally for many years and have never seen a mushroom like that. Although I had eaten less than half of my meal the plate was not returned. No apology
We will not return

2  Thank jeanniesjones

Reviewed 1 August 2014 via mobile

Came here for an evening meal whilst staying in Pitlochry. The food was great - lovely flavours, well presented - a cut above other pub meals of a similar price.

The staff were very friendly and service speed was just right.

Having looked at other pubs in the town this seems by far the best for food - enjoy!

Reviewed 31 July 2014

We stopped at the "Auld Smiddy" for a light lunch and sampled two items from the starters on offer that day. My wife had scallops and chorizo with pancetta and I had the homemade soup. Both were very tasty and came beautifully presented.

When asked if we wanted desserts, we had a look at the menu and were immediately tempted by the wide range. We chose from the daily specials, I had the homemade cheesecake, which that day was chocolate, caramel and hazelnut. My wife had the cheeseboard, which came with two homemade chutneys.

The service given by the two friendly waitresses who served us was efficient and courteous.

We would be happy to recommend this place to family and friends and visit again when we next return to Pitlochry.

1  Thank filthurlow
Reviewed 29 July 2014 via mobile

Despite an early arriving at 19:00, it took over 50 minutes to get our food - staff did not especially apologize and offered no compensation even after we complained. Many tables were served before us although they ordered after we had. Food is good but does not deserve such nonchalant and unprofessional service.

1  Thank Lysianne L
Reviewed 26 July 2014 via mobile

We turned up on spec on a Friday night and despite being really busy we quickly got a table. We both had steak, which was so good it just melted in the mouth. The traditional chunky chips, tomato and mushroom complimented it perfectly. The wine and local beer went down well and the service was really friendly. We ended up visiting again for Sunday roast, also excellent after a morning trek.