“A fab New Year”
Review of Rosemount Hotel

Rosemount Hotel
Ranked #9 of 18 Hotels in Pitlochry
Reviewed 8 January 2014

My wife (Italian) and I (Scottish) decided to have a traditional Scottish end to the old year and beginning to the new in this small (18 bedroom) 'jewel' in a wonderful little town. Arriving by car in afternoon of 31st, parking included, we were then shown to our comfortable, quiet and very clean room.
We had two fantastic nights....excellent food..entertainment..and company.
New Year's Day we took in the Street Party in the town with hundreds of locals and visitors, including foreigners, dancing all afternoon to a Scottish band.
The owners of Rosemount, Keith and Anne, made us so welcome...glad we didn't miss out.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
RosemountHotel, Owner at Rosemount Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 January 2014

Hello!
Thank you very much for taking the trouble to post your review. We certainly enjoyed Hogmanay. It was a privilege to celebrate the arrival of the New Year in such rewarding company. It was hard work, naturally, but also a genuine pleasure and we are gratified that you enjoyed it too. Pitlochry has to be one of the most atmospheric places at this time of year, especially with its unique street ceilidh. Thank heavens some of the old traditions and sentiments are still holding strong! May we take this opportunity to wish you both a happy and prosperous New Year.

Reviewed 2 January 2014

We stayed here for one night just before new year. We had 3 rooms & all were of a very good standard. Clean, tidy & comfortable with en suites. We had a lovely greeting from Anne & were shown to our rooms with no fuss. Parking was included at the hotel which was a bonus & it was only a few minutes walk to the high street.
Breakfast was tasty. A very good selection on the help yourself buffet including both haggis & tattie scones!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Sarah L
RosemountHotel, Owner at Rosemount Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 January 2014

Hello there. Thank you for taking the trouble to express your satisfaction with your stay. It was our genuine pleasure to welcome you, our only regret being that we were exceptionally busy preparing for Hogmanay and didn't have longer to chat. We hope you enjoyed your day exploring Perthshire and that you managed to find somewhere nice to stay that evening. Your gift of your mum's excellent "Bara Brith" was greatly appreciated. It went really well with those cups of tea that kept us going over Hogmanay. Please come again. It would be good to have more time for a blether!

Reviewed 3 December 2013

when we arrived the greeting was good and friendly ,we were shown to room straight away which was good , the room was dated but clean and combatable and was a much needed bath in en suite, how ever my good thoughts about place were short lived as in the evening there was no staff we were lucky to get a drink served to us which was a joke considering that we were the only couple in bar for an hour ...... it would have been quicker to go to shop and buy bottle of wine and pour it my self and that's exactly what we ended up doing after the dinner fiasco ... we were only people in dining room but service was slower than slow we ordered pie as thought that a safe choice it was not the best it was hard and not good, I asked for some condiments which the staff could not find what kind of restaurant does not even have mustard or horseradish ???? we also asked for a drink with meal but was not served it till our meal was almost over ... the one saving grace was the breakfast was a complete turnaround and was very good piping hot and was served very well however it was not enough to make me want to go there again sad to say ....

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank satinjen

We feel as though we have let you down, I must apologise. As you mention, the Hotel was very quiet during your stay. December is the month when visitor demand drops to about 10% of normal, in this town and we take the opportunity to give most of our staff a well-deserved break. We had around 8 guests staying and I think everyone else was at a wedding, leaving you here alone, which couldn't have helped the atmosphere. I'm a little confused about your comments re the wait-time for bar service. I welcomed you as you came down for your meal and immediately went to get someone to attend to you, which must have taken no more than a minute. I'll think you'll appreciate that we couldn't have someone constantly attending the bar all evening knowing that there would only be two customers for the duration. It is not a public bar, so no additional guests would have been possible. Many Hotels of our size now operate an honesty system involving no staff at all. Our staff member assures me he kept coming through to check you were happy and he registered no dissatisfaction from you. He must have read the situation wrongly. I apologise once again.

Reviewed 18 November 2013

I was booked into hotel for 2 nights in July. We arrived a couple of hours before the booking in time, as I was unwell, the staff allowed us to have our room early. I paid the balance for the 2 days in cash, along with the balance that they had kindly removed from my bank account. As I was still very unwell the next day I apologised and said we would be checking out early and would not require the 2nd night. Despite numerous emails to the owner and phone calls, the promise of a refund , minus deposit nothing has been returned. Phone calls to the hotel result in vague answers from foreign employees, if I am lucky to speak to owner a promise of refund is all you get!

• Stayed: July 2013
3  Thank Durham43
RosemountHotel, Owner at Rosemount Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 November 2013

Since there is no clear reference to the identity of this reviewer, I am not afforded the courtesy of a factual reply, which seems a little unfair. I can respond in principle, however: I would dearly love to be sufficiently wealthy to underwrite life's hard dealings when they result in late cancellations. Our cancellation terms are clearly indicated on all booking communication. The truth is, in the modern economy it is simply not an option to refund the cost of a room once the practical time to re-sell that reserved room has passed. We cannot insure against the loss of income resulting in this way since the market expects the individual holiday maker to insure themselves. Each room has to earn its keep in the busy season to allow us to be here for visitors next year and to pay our hard-working staff. On this point, I find reference to any staff's nationality in even a slightly derogatory fashion as representative of the thin end of the wedge of racism. I asked to have your review removed for that reason. This particular review platform did not agree.

Reviewed 10 November 2013

Hotel was OK - not bad - but not quiet what was advertised. What I mean is the location and staff are great. The rooms were in need of a refresh - again not bad. The restaurant, however, I wouldn't recommend. The website makes it look really nice, but to be honest, it was a bit overpriced and the food wasn't that great.

Don't let me seem too negative - I didn't hate it. The staff were great, and the rooms were OK. It was quiet enough, and there was plenty of room.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family

Thank you for your review. I can see this was an honest appraisal of your experience and whilst I regret we didn't score full marks, I am delighted you found our staff great and suspect that your comment about our, quote, rooms applied to the particular room you booked and maybe didn't account for the fact that we have four very distinct grades of room, priced according to amenity and facility. Our Economy rooms are well received for their cleanliness and general comfort, whilst a premium is placed on further comfort, size and decor in our Premium and Suite rooms. Sometimes folk see one of our many photos, which might happen to be, say, a Suite, and expect the same from an Economy Room. Unfortunately pure economics prevent that from happening.

We can see that our few remaining Economy rooms are presenting some negative reflections upon the service we offer and, as the economic outlook brightens, we are upgrading them, 2 into 1 into further, fabulous Premium rooms.

I do hope you visit again. I would like to offer you a free upgrade to allow you to see one of our better rooms. Have a warm, cosy winter. Best wishes.

Reviewed 4 November 2013

Stayed at rosemount for overnight trip, a place just to chill with family and the rosemount was the place to stay, booked 4 rooms for family and we were all very pleased with what we got, I was in rm 2 which had a comfy double bed and a single bed in with plenty of room to move about, had a lovely window seat where I sat for coffee in the morning, hotel was just what we were looking for. Staff were very friendly we were showing to our rooms very quickly we arrived a hour early with no warning to staff and they were fine about it, the hotel owner has lovely big dog called oscar and we all loved him very friendly dog, dinner at night was good wasn't best meal I have had but by no means the worst, breakfast was brilliant plenty of choice, we left well rested and fed well so very happy. Scott Pearson group

Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
RosemountHotel, Owner at Rosemount Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 November 2013

Hi there. It gives us genuine pleasure and personal satisfaction that you enjoyed your stay with us. It may sound a bit if a often-repeated cliché, but this level of satisfaction is all we ever aim for in every single guest. Within the resources available to us, this is what we set out to achieve at the start of each day. We're a bit deflated that you didn't find the evening meal absolutely top-notch, but I suppose we have to realise that, considering the prices we charge, there are going to be many very expensive restaurants producing a different level of meal. It's great that you enjoyed breakfast and seem to have received an overall positive experience in our Restaurant.
Yes - Oscar is a rare gem. He is a truly gentle person and just loves to come and greet all our guests upon invitation. It says a lot for him that he doesn't approach until we ask him, but he is genuinely disappointed if not asked. We hope to see you all again soon and thank you for taking trouble to submit this pleasing review.

Reviewed 3 November 2013 via mobile

We were in a party of 7 adults visiting Pitlochry for one night. The Rosemount was located just a couple of minutes walk from the main street in Pitlochry. On arrival we were checked into our rooms even although we were an hour early - our party had four rooms which were all lovely and modern and spotlessly clean. Breakfast was excellent lots of choice, loved the haggis. What a lovely welcome we got from a very handsome German Shepard called Oscar we wanted to take him home with us. We had an all round lovely stay and would confidently recommend The Rosemount to anyone visiting Pitlochry in the future. Scott & Pearson Family.

• Stayed: November 2013
RosemountHotel, Owner at Rosemount Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 November 2013

Many thanks for your review. It means a great deal to us that you enjoyed your stay and this feedback is important to us. Improvements come as a result of the small changes we put in each and every day and we need the content of reviews to guide us in that effort. We enjoyed the company of your party. You were very friendly from the moment you walked through the door and everything from there onwards was a real pleasure for us. Please visit again soon. We'll make sure Oscar is here for a big cuddle:-)