“Clean, friendly and well-located”
Review of Rosemount Hotel

Rosemount Hotel
Ranked #10 of 18 Hotels in Pitlochry
“Clean, friendly and well-located”
Reviewed 16 February 2014 via mobile

Lovely place with clean, well-attended rooms. Generous breakfast included in price. Friendly staff. Bit dated but rooms were very clean, which was all that mattered to us. The only slight disappointment was that the restaurant seems to close early (it shut at 7.30pm on a Sat night!) and Pitlochry doesn't have a great deal open in winter so the hotel would've done well to provide food a little later.

Stayed February 2014
RosemountHotel, Owner at Rosemount Hotel, responded to this review, 17 February 2014
Hello and thank you for your commentary.

We are delighted you enjoyed your stay, appreciating the cleanliness that we take a pride in and also breakfast - which we put every effort into making as impressive as resources can possibly allow. The rooms booked were Economy Rooms and I'd just maybe mention that although these are highly appreciated for their low tariff, we have 3 grades of room above these, priced to reflect investment and very worthy of consideration for a reasonably small increase in tariff.

Sorry about the squeeze on Dinner times! This only happens out of season when trade simply does not justify engaging additional staff to operate the extra service time. We do state, however, that we can extend mealtimes with prior request. I hope this was mentioned to you at check in. I'll re-prompt our staff in case this was overlooked - in which case, please accept my regrets. The many all-important small routines of main season get a little knocked about in the winter months simply through lack of repetition. I hope our genuine desire to make your stay an enjoyable experience came over nonetheless.

We hope you had an enjoyable day touring the Northern part of Scotland. The weather certainly seemed to be on your side. We'd love to see you again sometime. Please check out availability of a free repeat-customer upgrade. Let's see if we can improve upon your experience!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
  • Greek first
Edinburgh
Reviewed 17 January 2014 via mobile

We have just returned from a 3day break at the Rosemount, and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. This is a dog friendly hotel and we had a super room that allowed us out into the grounds without having to traipse through the hotel, a real bonus with a wet dog! The room itself was spacious , with a comfortable bed, flat screen tv, huge walk in wardrobe and a lovely bathroom with a wet room for the shower. The breakfasts were excellent, large choice of cereals etc and cooked breakfast items. We ate at the hotel in the evenings, and had an ample choice of good home cooked food. The staff were friendly and efficient, and the owners were lovely, helpful with information on local walks, and keen to make sure we had everything we required. We will definately return to this hotel if we are staying in the area again.

• Stayed January 2014
2 Thank brusky12
RosemountHotel, Owner at Rosemount Hotel, responded to this review, 18 January 2014
Hello there. I'd like to thank you for taking the time to share your experience and to tell you how delighted we are that you enjoyed your stay with us. It was a complete pleasure to have you with stay. Your wee pal, Chico, was a total joy - so well-behaved - a true darling. We hope to see you all again very soon. Best wishes.
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 January 2014

My wife (Italian) and I (Scottish) decided to have a traditional Scottish end to the old year and beginning to the new in this small (18 bedroom) 'jewel' in a wonderful little town. Arriving by car in afternoon of 31st, parking included, we were then shown to our comfortable, quiet and very clean room.
We had two fantastic nights....excellent food..entertainment..and company.
New Year's Day we took in the Street Party in the town with hundreds of locals and visitors, including foreigners, dancing all afternoon to a Scottish band.
The owners of Rosemount, Keith and Anne, made us so welcome...glad we didn't miss out.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
RosemountHotel, Owner at Rosemount Hotel, responded to this review, 11 January 2014
Hello!
Thank you very much for taking the trouble to post your review. We certainly enjoyed Hogmanay. It was a privilege to celebrate the arrival of the New Year in such rewarding company. It was hard work, naturally, but also a genuine pleasure and we are gratified that you enjoyed it too. Pitlochry has to be one of the most atmospheric places at this time of year, especially with its unique street ceilidh. Thank heavens some of the old traditions and sentiments are still holding strong! May we take this opportunity to wish you both a happy and prosperous New Year.
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 January 2014

We stayed here for one night just before new year. We had 3 rooms & all were of a very good standard. Clean, tidy & comfortable with en suites. We had a lovely greeting from Anne & were shown to our rooms with no fuss. Parking was included at the hotel which was a bonus & it was only a few minutes walk to the high street.
Breakfast was tasty. A very good selection on the help yourself buffet including both haggis & tattie scones!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Sarah L
RosemountHotel, Owner at Rosemount Hotel, responded to this review, 5 January 2014
Hello there. Thank you for taking the trouble to express your satisfaction with your stay. It was our genuine pleasure to welcome you, our only regret being that we were exceptionally busy preparing for Hogmanay and didn't have longer to chat. We hope you enjoyed your day exploring Perthshire and that you managed to find somewhere nice to stay that evening. Your gift of your mum's excellent "Bara Brith" was greatly appreciated. It went really well with those cups of tea that kept us going over Hogmanay. Please come again. It would be good to have more time for a blether!
Stewarton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 December 2013

when we arrived the greeting was good and friendly ,we were shown to room straight away which was good , the room was dated but clean and combatable and was a much needed bath in en suite, how ever my good thoughts about place were short lived as in the evening there was no staff we were lucky to get a drink served to us which was a joke considering that we were the only couple in bar for an hour ...... it would have been quicker to go to shop and buy bottle of wine and pour it my self and that's exactly what we ended up doing after the dinner fiasco ... we were only people in dining room but service was slower than slow we ordered pie as thought that a safe choice it was not the best it was hard and not good, I asked for some condiments which the staff could not find what kind of restaurant does not even have mustard or horseradish ???? we also asked for a drink with meal but was not served it till our meal was almost over ... the one saving grace was the breakfast was a complete turnaround and was very good piping hot and was served very well however it was not enough to make me want to go there again sad to say ....

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank satinjen
We feel as though we have let you down, I must apologise. As you mention, the Hotel was very quiet during your stay. December is the month when visitor demand drops to about 10% of normal, in this town and we take the opportunity to give most of our staff a well-deserved break. We had around 8 guests staying and I think everyone else was at a wedding, leaving you here alone, which couldn't have helped the atmosphere. I'm a little confused about your comments re the wait-time for bar service. I welcomed you as you came down for your meal and immediately went to get someone to attend to you, which must have taken no more than a minute. I'll think you'll appreciate that we couldn't have someone constantly attending the bar all evening knowing that there would only be two customers for the duration. It is not a public bar, so no additional guests would have been possible. Many Hotels of our size now operate an honesty system involving no staff at all. Our staff member assures me he kept coming through to check you were happy and he registered no dissatisfaction from you. He must have read the situation wrongly. I apologise once again.
Durham
Reviewed 18 November 2013

I was booked into hotel for 2 nights in July. We arrived a couple of hours before the booking in time, as I was unwell, the staff allowed us to have our room early. I paid the balance for the 2 days in cash, along with the balance that they had kindly removed from my bank account. As I was still very unwell the next day I apologised and said we would be checking out early and would not require the 2nd night. Despite numerous emails to the owner and phone calls, the promise of a refund , minus deposit nothing has been returned. Phone calls to the hotel result in vague answers from foreign employees, if I am lucky to speak to owner a promise of refund is all you get!

• Stayed July 2013
3 Thank Durham43
RosemountHotel, Owner at Rosemount Hotel, responded to this review, 22 November 2013
Since there is no clear reference to the identity of this reviewer, I am not afforded the courtesy of a factual reply, which seems a little unfair. I can respond in principle, however: I would dearly love to be sufficiently wealthy to underwrite life's hard dealings when they result in late cancellations. Our cancellation terms are clearly indicated on all booking communication. The truth is, in the modern economy it is simply not an option to refund the cost of a room once the practical time to re-sell that reserved room has passed. We cannot insure against the loss of income resulting in this way since the market expects the individual holiday maker to insure themselves. Each room has to earn its keep in the busy season to allow us to be here for visitors next year and to pay our hard-working staff. On this point, I find reference to any staff's nationality in even a slightly derogatory fashion as representative of the thin end of the wedge of racism. I asked to have your review removed for that reason. This particular review platform did not agree.
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 10 November 2013

Hotel was OK - not bad - but not quiet what was advertised. What I mean is the location and staff are great. The rooms were in need of a refresh - again not bad. The restaurant, however, I wouldn't recommend. The website makes it look really nice, but to be honest, it was a bit overpriced and the food wasn't that great.

Don't let me seem too negative - I didn't hate it. The staff were great, and the rooms were OK. It was quiet enough, and there was plenty of room.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Thank you for your review. I can see this was an honest appraisal of your experience and whilst I regret we didn't score full marks, I am delighted you found our staff great and suspect that your comment about our, quote, rooms applied to the particular room you booked and maybe didn't account for the fact that we have four very distinct grades of room, priced according to amenity and facility. Our Economy rooms are well received for their cleanliness and general comfort, whilst a premium is placed on further comfort, size and decor in our Premium and Suite rooms. Sometimes folk see one of our many photos, which might happen to be, say, a Suite, and expect the same from an Economy Room. Unfortunately pure economics prevent that from happening.

We can see that our few remaining Economy rooms are presenting some negative reflections upon the service we offer and, as the economic outlook brightens, we are upgrading them, 2 into 1 into further, fabulous Premium rooms.

I do hope you visit again. I would like to offer you a free upgrade to allow you to see one of our better rooms. Have a warm, cosy winter. Best wishes.