“Lovely, centrally located, Pitlochry hotel”
Review of Rosemount Hotel

Rosemount Hotel
Ranked #10 of 18 Hotels in Pitlochry
Muir of Ord, United Kingdom
“Lovely, centrally located, Pitlochry hotel”
Reviewed 28 August 2014

We have just returned from a lovely weekend away for our wedding anniversary staying both nights at the Rosemount.

We received a warm welcome - albeit the majority of the staff aren't Scottish but that's life these days in our multi-cultural society - and was informed about the local area and special places to visit.

Our room - no 17 - was lovely and had obviously recently been done up. The bathroom, however, was quite disappointing. It was a mish mash of old/new fittings/fixtures and the shower lacked in pressure.

Breakfast was lovely on the first morning but quite disappointing on the second - having to wait whilst the hot plates were refilled one at a time. We opted not to eat in for dinner as we felt the menu was quite restrictive.

Location-wise it is ideal. Just a short wander down to the main street with all the shops, restaurants and bars.

Owners are lovely and are obviously trying to improve the hotel. Good luck! You never know - we might see you next year!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
RosemountHotel, Owner at Rosemount Hotel, responded to this review, 1 September 2014
Thank you for your lovely comments. We're glad you enjoyed your time with us and appreciated your welcome. I'm sure, like many other guests placing comment, that you found our staff cheerful, obliging and exceptionally well-mannered. It is a privilege to share our time with them. Hand on heart, I have to admit that wear and tear during the season, especially a busy one such as this has been, inevitably gives rise to a few requirements for quick fixes, simply because we don't have enough resources to source perfectly matching replacement items when things get broken - hence there is a bit of a mish -mash feel to that particular bathroom. We've had to hold fire on putting a new bathroom in Room 17 until the season quietens, but it is included in our first wave of winter improvements. . We've had a few helpful suggestions from other guests which we've taken on board for when we tear everything out. I'm sorry about the wait the Sunday morning at breakfast. It was one of those days when we couldn't run fast enough to keep up with some very hungry guests who'd been very active at the International Horse Trials and understandably tucked into the buffet with great relish. I'm glad you saw a better side of our service capabilities the morning before. It would be really great to see you again. Looks like Autumn's on its way. Have a good one!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
  • Greek first
Banff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 August 2014 via mobile

Hi..just home from rosemount..would just like to say we thoroughly enjoyed our stay..nothing was a problem staff are a credit to your hotel..the owners were always very helpful and chatty..breakfast first class..rooms spotlessly clean..what more could you want..

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank domino74
RosemountHotel, Manager at Rosemount Hotel, responded to this review, 24 August 2014
Hi there . . . Your enjoyed your stay! . . That is all each one of us wants to hear . . and you know something? It makes us want to work even harder to make our little haven of peace and quiet even better. Please come again and see if we managed that for you. It would be great to see you. It's gratifying that you appreciated our staff and took the trouble to mention the fact. They are truly exceptional people and a privilege to have around. We all wish you the very best.
Somerset
Reviewed 21 August 2014

I booked the cheapest room available which was a premier double room. Travelling by myself I had to pay the room rate however, on checking in someone had booked an economy room just an hour beforehand. So I paid more than I needed to. I guess the owner lets the expensive rooms first but a solo traveller paying more than a couple was galling.
The restaurant was very quiet and the food was average. The beer was expensive, wow. Ask the price before you order.,
Guest lounge not ready for use so sat outside on the garden wall as inadequate gardens or seating elsewhere.
Despite all that, the bedroom was comfortable, as it should be and the staff were pleasant enough but it would have been nice to have seen bonny Scots girls on the staff.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
RosemountHotel, Owner at Rosemount Hotel, responded to this review, 24 August 2014
Hello. I read your review with some concern that you appear to have the opinion that we deliberately mislead people into booking our most expensive available rooms. If you knew us, you would realise that we are of high integrity and work as hard as we can to give each and every customer the best possible experience. Your situation has several possible explanations: We don't issue all availability to each booking source since, at busy times, such as the day you stayed, that would inevitably lead to double-booking. In consequence of this fact, people visiting different online booking arenas get a slightly different view of our availability. Also, there is every possibility that the Economy room booked on the day of your arrival had been recently cancelled by a previous booker and had become available once more.

Regarding your paying full rate for the room - again, people using different booking sources from the one you used are able to obtain reduced rates for single occupancy of rooms. It is a feature of the booking source you used that the reduction wasn't easily made available. and not our policy. Our own website offers variable rates for differing levels of occupancy. We are charged commission by each booking source for every booking based on the price at which the room was booked, and so could not offer you a discount on the room upon discovering your single status. The fact that you paid more than a couple occupying an Economy room is partly down to the fact that there is a large price difference between the rooms, reflecting the investment therein. Also the price was for the item purchased, not the number of people sharing it. One person buying a bar of chocolate has to pay the same as two people buying a similar item to share.

I regret you did not enjoy our food offering. It is a feature of our location that many summertime guests are touring, staying single nights at each destination and wishing to see as much of each town they visit. Eating out is part of this experience, and something I would do myself. We therefore offer a quiet and pleasant evening meal facility during the Summer, for those wishing to eat in. As the evenings draw in, our restaurant becomes busier again. Our product is generally very well received by very many guests. I am sorry you were not included among that number.

I am not comfortable entering a conversation that ascribes value to any person by virtue of their gender or nationality. I believe personal qualities are a feature of something far more intricate and precious. I'm pleased to say that our staff are highly appreciated because of their individual strengths and exceptionally good manners.

Regarding the lounge, it is always difficult to weave improvements to the fabric in amongst guests' requirements for the areas involved. Generally, in the Summer, guests are out and about enjoying the fabulous scenery, so we deemed this a good time to refurbish our Lounge, which is used more in the Winter time. As you mentioned, the restaurant was quite quiet, therefore the seating in our adjacent bar and bar-lounge area is usually enough for those few guests wishing to stay in of an evening. Our bar prices are set quite substantially below those in the very centre of town and reflect normal mark-ups on the price we have to pay for the items.

It's good to hear that you were comfortable in your room and found our staff pleasant. I hope you enjoyed the rest of your holiday.
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 August 2014

I wasn't going to leave a review but after reading some of the negative reviews on here, I felt I had to.
We were on a road trip around Scotland for our wedding anniversary with no definite plans and only booked the hotel online around 4 hours before checking in whilst having lunch in Edinburgh. When we arrived, we were expected and warmly welcomed.
The lady on reception gave us some great advice on the local area making our impromptu stop off all the more enjoyable.
The room we stayed in (No. 18) was well presented and clean, with all the facilities you would expect from a (smaller) local hotel.
Pros:
Very Clean.
Comfortable bed for a great night’s sleep.
Excellent location.
Attentive and friendly staff.
Cons:
(and I write this with due irony) #firstworldproblems-the shower in my comfortable on-suite could have had higher water pressure.

Overall, a relaxing 2 night stay in a beautiful area of the country... Will I be coming back to Pitlochry? Yes. Will I stay at the Rosemount again? I wouldn't say no. Pricing is slightly high, but in a tourist "honeypot" area not to be unexpected (let's face it, the average price of a pint in the town is £4.50, when you take that in to account, then more than reasonable for the quality of accommodation provided).
Close to the main street and with some great views (the hotel breakfast is a real highlight)

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
RosemountHotel, Owner at Rosemount Hotel, responded to this review, 21 August 2014
I am very pleased that you made the decision to come and stay with us and also thankful that you placed this balanced and helpful review . . . helpful not only to people reading it, but also to us, in that it gives a true reflection of what we are aiming for. I regret you found us a wee bit pricey. Unfortunately , this is a high cost:income industry, becoming ever more so. I notice that prices further north of us were more than double at the same grading level, this summer, but this merely reflects the requirement to fund our ever-increasing overheads - a basic necessity for us all to still be here for visitors next year. So much of what we charge goes straight out again. nonetheless, we always try to pitch our prices in the lower segment of the local offering.
Water pressure is a frustrating issue in the town. I really don't know the solution because our service providers insist they cannot increase the supply pressure. The problem only arises when the town is extremely busy. I only hope that people understand that the practical difficulties of supply of utilities in more remote and often beautiful areas is a challenge and that they can accordingly offset the inconveniences against the benefits.
It means everything to us that you enjoyed your stay and were comfortable. It would be great to see you again sometime. Always ask if a free upgrade is available. We like returning visitors to experience the higher end of what we have to offer.
Reviewed 18 August 2014 via mobile

My wife and I stayed here for own anniversary and had a very nice stay. The staff were friendly and helpful and made our stay relaxing. The room although quite small (standard double) it was comfortable. The shower was a bit weak and the toilet was a bit tricky to flush (although we were made aware of this). The wifi connection although free was very weak and we were unable to connect in our room, which was a little frustrating when checking the location of the places to visit the following day. The breakfast was very substantial and were given a choice of cereal, yoghurt and fruit along with a buffet cooked breakfast. A nice place to stay and in walking distance of all amenities in Pitlochry. Thank you for a lovely stay.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you very much for your helpful review. It's great to see that you enjoyed your stay overall and that you appreciated our wonderful staff and the breakfast buffet. Free wi-fi is a bit of a headache, because providers have little control over its consumption. It only takes a few users on tablets, streaming some bandwith-heavy material, such as videos or catch-up TV and the signal becomes greatly weakened. We believe that an online-etiquette is emerging about such practices and, in line with many larger companies facing the same problem, we have a polite notice at Reception asking guests not to use the service for such practices. Because the environment is new, many folk don't realise they are preventing other service sharers from having a good service experience when they stream on free wi-fi. All such things take time for the good practices to become known.

The provision of utilities, such as good-pressure water , mobile signal and broadband IS our biggest issue in Pitlochry. I only hope that people can understand the practical difficulties faced by utility providers in more remote, quiet areas and balance the benefits of being in a stunningly beautiful place against the slight loss of convenience, the provision of a greater level of which might destroy the surroundings so highly valued. I can only presume the provision of a higher pressure water supply would involve a fair amount of hacking of the local countryside - and better broadband, more masts and cable-laying. Don't know about you, but I can put up with a few inconveniences if it means I can take a walk each day in this stunning place!

We hope to see you again. We'll continue to work hard to make everything a little better each day.
Whitby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 August 2014

Really enjoyed our stay. The room was kept spotless each day and all of the staff were cheerful and friendly, nothing was too much trouble. Breakfast was excellent also and the bed was one of the most comfortable we have ever slept in. We also liked the fact that the hotel was dog friendly, which is worth knowing for future reference. Couldn't fault anything and would not hesitate recommending the Rosemount to others.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
RosemountHotel, Manager at Rosemount Hotel, responded to this review, 15 August 2014
Hi there. It was good of you to share your experience of your stay with us. We are working hard to make daily improvements to our great little Hotel and it's rewarding to us that you picked up on the fruits of some of our labours and that these made your stay special in some way that was important to you. This level of satisfaction is like oxygen to us, so thank you once again for taking trouble to publish your review. Best wishes.
Doncaster, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 August 2014

we stayed just the one night last week.The hotel is clean and the owner and his wife always there to help. the dining room is very clean and bright with a buffet breakfast. There is ample off road parking. Our room which I found quite small was clean but a bit of a squash.The hotel is approached up a hill from the main street of pitlochry and takes about 10 mins to walk into town.

Room Tip: at the back is quieter
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
RosemountHotel, Owner at Rosemount Hotel, responded to this review, 15 August 2014
Hi there.
I've tried to locate your booking by name without luck and so cannot pinpoint which room you were in that was a bit of a squash? Our Economy rooms are advertised as compact. I am assuming it was one of these. It's great that you found it clean, but I'm disappointed we didn't get the message across well enough about room size when we also have a good number of larger rooms. These are quite a bit more expensive, in line with the pricing of the area and are, amongst other features, spacious for occasions when this is a priority.

We're always set on the horns of a dilemma with our Economy Rooms. Most folk appreciate their offering as the cheapest-available rooms of the standard, but one or two guests have disappointed expectations. I always hope the price difference will speak loudly, if the room description doesn't grab attention, for some reason, during the booking process. I don't really know how else to express our genuine intention to offer an alternative between the cheapest accommodation in town against the option of more expensive, but very much larger and well-appointed rooms which are priced according to our investment in them.

It would be great to see you again, but may I recommend a Premium or Suite room if size is the main priority? We plan to upgrade nearly all of the Economy rooms, repositioning walls and investing in the fabric this winter. We shall however, retain a few to please those of our guests who wish to prioritise the superb value they offer.

I hope you enjoy the rest of the Summer. Best wishes