“The worst hotel I've ever been to.”
Review of Rosemount Hotel

Rosemount Hotel
Ranked #10 of 18 Hotels in Pitlochry
glasgow
“The worst hotel I've ever been to.”
Reviewed 2 January 2010

We stayed at this hotel for New Year and it was dreadful! Firstly our room had no real window, just a dorma in the roof. It also had a shower room/toilet whichwas tiny (I actually think it was a converted cupboard) and it had the smallest shower I've ever seen -so small that you had to enter it sidewards! There were no drawers for clothes, just a small freestanding wardrobe, of which the upper cupboard part was actually glued shut (presumably because the door was broken or something). Bizarre!

Our rooms were not cleaned because it was New Year!? Despite the fact we were paying a premium for coming at this time of year we were to expect to get less service than the normal minimum you would expect.

The lack of staff also meant that if you wanted a drink at the bar, or anything in fact, you had to wait till somebody happened to come by. This turned out to normally be the same woman all day. She certainly worked hard but the owners had left her with an impossible job of doing everything single handed.

As bad as all this sounds the worst was yet to come. Despite the fact that when I booked (which was only a few days in advance of going) I was told the rate for the special New Year package included dinner and entertainment, this turned out to be the owner stretching the truth. The first night the food was mediocre but edible and the entertainer was well appreciated. It was then announced that the New Year's day meal would be a buffet. This wasn't as expected but at that point we still didn't appreciate how bad it could get. On New Year's Day we arrived at the dining room to find that the buffet was in fact a very small spread of cold pasta and rice, some salad, half a poached salmon, some cold meat and some sorry looking vol au vents. There was also a small amounts of desserts and cheese laid out. As if that wasn't disappointing enough on a cold winter's day when a premium price had been paid, we also didn't realise that to actually have got a full meal would have required us to race to the buffet because once things were finished they were not replenished. We got no cold meat and no kind of dessert. What we did get was terrible.

Several guests complained and when I did so to the poor member of staff who had been running around all day, I was informed the owners had left the premises - lucky them! I asked her to pass my complaint on and to get them to speak to me when they returned. Needless to say that didn't happen. The next morning I was awoken by the sound of other guests complaining, or to be more accurate, the owner shouting at them that they had no argument, despite the fact that the 4 of them had so little to eat that they had to go elsewhere for dinner! They had been booked for another night but decided to leave that morning rather than suffer another night. When I was able to make my complaint I got an equal amount of abuse. In fact I was told that I was spoiling everybody's stay by complaining! Apparently the reason that there wasn't enough food was because some guests had dared to go up twice to a buffet! The fact that it was a cold buffet rather than a proper dinner was explained as being perfectly normal and what they do every year - that's a warning for next year's potential guests. It's just a pity that it wasn't mentioned during either of the two phonecalls I'd had with the owner. After an unsatisfactory discussion which involved me being insulted, she finally agreed to refund us a small amount of money for the meal. Should have been the end of it, yet when it came to checking out time more insults followed, including her saying to nobody directly (yet we were the only people there) that she couldn't wait for that evening since the poison would be gone! Obviously made for working with the public!

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple
5 Thank louloumel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
  • Greek first
Lanarkshire, Scotland
Reviewed 26 October 2009

After seeing not brilliant reviews I just wanted to praise the staff on their customer service. We were booked to stay here on 31st Oct. I booked through laterooms and because of a mix-up the hotel was fully booked. They called me to apologise for this and also to say they had found me another hotel and negotiated a discount for me. Pitlochry is almost completely booked out for this weekend so it was fantastic that the lady I spoke to went out of her way to help me.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
Edinburgh
Reviewed 13 September 2009

We stayed at the Rosemount Hotel when attending a wedding. We were warmly welcomed by a very helpful lady who helped us contact friends staying at a B&B nearby, the name of which we did not know. Our room was fine and the shower room very stylish and contemporary. Breakfast was good with freshly prepared fruit salad and a good choice of cold and hot items. Service was good and staff friendly. Our experience was very different from what we expected after reading recent reviews.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled with friends
1 Thank WinnieEdinburgh
Aberdeen
Reviewed 6 September 2009

After much research, the website showed this hotel to be of good calibre. Very very misleading, this hotel is very over priced, old and run down, bathrooms something out of the 80's with no hot water, I had no shower and toilet hardly flushed. My friends who had a "Standard" twin, these rooms were the same but really small and dark - they had a view of a wall. I just don't think this hotel deserves 3 stars and would not recommend it for the price they charge. Only positive was the staff, they were pleasant .

• Stayed September 2009, travelled with friends
2 Thank Tina321Aberdeen
West Lothian
Reviewed 30 August 2009

Paid extra for a Premium Room - overpriced. At breakfast, there was very little hot food in the buffet. Twice informed staff and was told more would be available in 5 minutes. Left after 45 minutes without a cooked breakfast. Checkout staff refused to reduce the bill. Wrote to the hotel expressing my dissatisfaction. No response but they debited my credit card for the full amount without my authorisation. One to avoid.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
4 Thank ABPLin
leeds
Reviewed 21 July 2009

We booked to stay at the Rosemount Hotel for a weekend away after discovering an advertisment about the Hotel which highly rated it, unfortunatley on arrival it became clear how very misleading the advertisment was. Clearly it was written by the discourteous, arrogant owner who also branded me a racist because we complained about the polish who couldnt understand the request for a soft egg!! The shower does not work properly and merley trickled and took 50min to get shampoo out of my hair! Dated decor, small and next to a council estate. Went for dinner on the first night and my husband ordered a steak rare, which with no surprise came well done!!
Well over priced for what can only be described as an extremley poor effort of a so called hotel, even worse is that VisitScotland has awarded it 3 stars which is laughable. I would advise everyone to avoid this hotel like the plague, unless of course you want to stay at a dingy, dated, poor managed, under staffed, view of a council estate mess of a building. The hotel is simply and purley an offense to the beautiful scenery and to Scotland!!!

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank laura696
Scotland
Reviewed 20 July 2009

I stayed at the Rosemount and was given a warm welcome. The staff were lovely and the standard of cleanliness good, both in bedroom and dining area. However, i did not particularly enjoy my stay for the following reasons: no shower in my room; very old, dirty carpet in the bathroom; mediocre food in the restaurant - seriously average, bordering on poor; and noise levels - you can hear everything in the rooms next door / across the corridor. Rooms also very small. The hotel rooms are very late 70s / early 80s and need a refurb. With some money invested, it could be a lovely place but for £75 a night, it is not good value for money, not when you can get a 4star place for the same or cheaper!

• Stayed July 2009, travelled solo