“Gloriously unfashionable”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Pitlochry
The Green Park Hotel
Ranked #2 of 18 Hotels in Pitlochry
Cleveland, UK
“Gloriously unfashionable”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 May 2013

A number of reviewers have commented upon the predominantly elderly clientele and how this can leave younger guests with the impression that they have wandered into an old folks home. Whilst I cannot disagree with this, I think it is important to stress two things: Firstly, even though the hotel is clearly uncompromising in its efforts to make the more elderly guest feel welcomed and comfortable, I cannot for the life of me understand how this could possibly make anyone else feel uncomfortable. The bottom line is that this is an immaculate hotel that provides levels of comfort and service that can be appreciated by all, irrespective of age. Secondly, I was more than thankful to be sharing my stay with a generation that prides itself in its standards of public behaviour and wouldn't dream of doing anything that would spoil the stay for anyone else.

I give five stars to this marvellous hotel and five stars to its guests.

2 Thank SercoMan
PitlochryAlistair, Owner at The Green Park Hotel, responded to this review, 14 May 2013
Dear SercoMan,

What a delightful and candid review. Your comments read like a mission statement for how we try and run the Green Park, and you have our grateful thanks for your perception.

I could not agree more with your implication that the world will be a less well off place, when the generation you mention is no longer with us. They thoroughly deserve the five star rating that you award them.

Thank you once again, and we hope to welcome you to the Green Park in the future.

For the McMenemie Family.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (192)
Glasgow UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2013

Booked well ahead for a big birthday celebration and must have mentioned this during booking process. Shortly after checking in, a bottle of champagne was delivered to our room courtesy of the management. Large, tastefully furnished room(9) overlooking the loch(lake). Large dining room with a sensible policy of first come first served as far as table choice concerned. Menu more than adequate as regards choice and a prompt and friendly service. The wine list represented excellent value for money starting off at around £11-£12. Superb breakfast, hot or cold, or both and served in main dining area. The conservatory-like extension to the dining area was popular and filled up first. We found the reception staff very polite and efficient and the manager frequently visible. Altogether a thoroughly enjoyable weekend

Room Tip: First floor with bay-window facing water
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
PitlochryAlistair, Owner at The Green Park Hotel, responded to this review, 25 April 2013
Dear JoolsGlasgowUK

Many thanks to the two of you for trying out the Green Park for the first time - and delighted to read that your stay was a success.

Your very generous comments are much appreciated, and with regards to the wine list, we will continue to keep prices as keenly priced as we can. The reason why we make little or no money from our "by the glass" sales, is that we always encourage the person pouring to imagine that they are pouring the glass for themselves!

We look forward to welcoming you both again, and thanks once again for the revue.

Rothesay, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2013

I used to live in Pitlochry and I dined in the Greenpark occasionally. Its reputation is very high and deservedly so. Its situation is superb, overlooking a loch in an area of rivers, mountains and woods. Everything about the hotel is superb except that the management systems have failed.
I have to write this to improve the hotel, alas.
After a 7 mile walk I needed to soak in a bath to avoid stiffness. I could not draw the bath! The plug would not remain in the hole, due to the water pressure and its design. I mentioned this and nothing was done about it, not even the next day. It meant I was stiff for several days. The shower also did not work very well. The temperature could not be controlled: fluctuated, probably because others were using hot water. Frankly, the equipment was not good enough. Most private houses are far better in this respect. The food was very good but not without flaws. The main one was that a dish of vegetables was often served with a main course but it was, alas, soaking in a not very appetising liquid. This happened twice at least during my stay. Where I live we have this in some of our restaurants and the veg is cooked perfectly and dryish: not swimming in oil, or whatever. Also, some dishes need to have a sauce: were too dry.
I mentioned all of these for a second time when I was leaving, along with my expressions of enjoyment and admiration and my promise to return. I did not want to make too much of them. I invited the management to call me and discuss these things and expected they would. They have not done so. This means that others will have trouble getting a bath or a properly controlled temperature in the shower. Not good.
But I would return. My complaints and difficulties were just not registered. I would have been better pleased had it a fitness room. But it is marvellous hotel and well run on the whole.

Room Tip: My room was a single room. I liked it except for the inadequate equipment in the bathroom. There is...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank William S
PitlochryAlistair, Owner at The Green Park Hotel, responded to this review, 26 April 2013
Dear William S,

Many thanks for your review, and for taking my call. It was nice to chat about your stay, and we are delighted that you intend to return to us. I promise that if you have any more plumbing concerns next time, I will personally escort the plumber to your bedroom and not allow him to leave until you are 100 percent confident in the arrangements.

I will also hold you to your promise of a signed copy of "The Genius of Bannockburn" which will be a welcome addition to our library.

Thanks again for the review, and we look forward to welcoming you to the Green Park in the not too distant future.

ARBROATH
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2013

This is a hotel for those wishing to take the slower pace in live in which the standard of service, food, hospitality, welcome, comes second nature to the management and staff. From the moment one walks into this hotel there is a genuine warmth in the welcome you receive, one never has to wait for service, the staff are just excellent, the food is first class and as you can see from the enclosed photographs, the views are just stunning. This is a hotel in which you do not rush, this is not an activity hotel, this is one to relax in, chill out, read a book, magazine, just slow your life down and enjoy. This was an excellent week-end in which to celebrate my forthcoming 65th birthday and I have no doubt that we will return.

Room Tip: Always ask for a room overlooking the Loch.
1 Thank WELSHMAN50Arbroath
Dear WELSHMAN50Ar,

Delighted to read that all went well with your stay, and that you got to the nub of how we try to do things at the Green Park.

A local saying that we often use is that - "there is no rush north of Perth" - and we try to abide by this premise. Activity hotels have an awful lot going for them if that is what you are after, but the most strenuous activities that we lay on are putting on the lawn, and a 1,000 piece jigsaw in the main lounge. Bruce Willis would be very bored at the Green Park.

We hope that you have a great 65th birthday, and we look forward to welcoming the two of you to the Green Park again.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2013 via mobile

We have just left the hotel this morning after a nights stay. We chanced upon it whilst touring on our motorbikes and arrived around 7pm. The reception staff were very good and two rooms were available. The receptionist let us sort our clothes etc into our rooms before finally checking in, which was very much appreciated, as anyone who is touring on a motorcycle will know how much 'stuff' you wear and how quickly you want to de-cant when you stop! The hotel is spotless and although we were at the lower age spectrum, than most of the other clientele, there were others staying around our age group. The decor would be mostly more towards the older taste. Regarding the food, I am hard to please and I just loved it. A good menu and best steak I have had for a long time. The breakfast was just perfect and everything I would have in my breakfast 'tick-list' was there. The wine and alcohol was reasonably priced although the option of a draught beer or two, would be a nice touch. The staff were very friendly and attentive. Nothing was a problem.The four of us have been very lucky and stayed in some very nice hotels around the world on business and pleasure and to be honest they all start to look the same inside. For me I have only ever felt the need to write one other review prior to this one. This hotel seems unique in regards to it's main clientele and older style decor, but once you get over this and realise what a great place it is, with the attention to detail and the quality food, you will want to return again. I know that we will be!

• Stayed April 2013
2 Thank Benfaylou
PitlochryAlistair, Owner at The Green Park Hotel, responded to this review, 13 April 2013
Dear Benfaylou,

Many thanks for the generous review, and for making the day for more than few of our female guests in residence. It is not every day at the Green Park that a group of leather clad bikers descend on reception!

That said, you may have started a trend. Yesterdays lunch was enlivened by two Lycra clad cyclists on a charity ride, who stopped in for a bowl of soup on their way to Lands End. Little did they know that they would end up being waved on their way by all of the guests in the sun Lounge, after enjoying a free lunch to boot! Its nice to get the chance to be nice, though both of my kids will say that this is totally out of character.

We hope that the rest of your ride went well, and thanks again for both the visit and the revue.

Glasgow
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2013

Since our wedding anniversary is on the first of April ( no witty comments, please....) we are not likely to forget it; and this year we chose to celebrate it in this charming Pitlochry Hotel. We chose the hotel partly because we hadn't been to Pitlochry for a very long time; and partly because the deal it was offering - dinner, bed and breakfast for a total of £182 pounds for one night - seemed to represent very good value. Having taken advantage of these kinds of deals before, I fully expected that we would be comfortably placed in one of the less desirable rooms, since these deals are often used to fill up rooms at less popular times of the year. However, not in this hotel. We were actually given possibly the nicest room in the hotel. On the upper floor of the main building, it is a huge room, with twin aspects - a bay window at the front overlooking the loch, and a side window - which also means that light pours into it. The furnishings are fresh and attractive, and the toiletries of a high standard. But here was the nicest touch - waiting for us, on a little table, was a bottle of sparkling wine ( brut, very nice), a bowl of sweets and a personalised card, congratulating us on our anniversary. At no extra cost. And it is touches like this, little things that make the visitor feel welcome and valued, that lift this hotel from very good to excellent. Similarly, the complimentary tea/coffee and cakes, and sherry before dinner all ramp up the feel-good factor. The food is unpretentious and delicious. There is a particularly good selection at breakfast, and the small dinner menu is carefully chosen and perfectly cooked - my husband said that his steak was probably the best he had ever eaten. The hotel is very well located - only a five minute walk from the centre of Pitlochry. I note with interest the complaint of a previous reviewer that the clientele tended to be 'old' and it is certainly true that the majority of the guests were sixty plus - probably because they have lived long enough to know a good thing when they see it. I am in my fifties and my husband in his early sixties. We are active travellers and have stayed in all sorts of hotels, all over the world. One day we will be very old, and I hope that we will continue to have interesting conversations with people of all ages, who can look past the wrinkles, to the person beneath. One thing is for sure, we will be visiting this hotel again - in fact we have already booked for the first of April next year. Maybe see you there??

Room Tip: The beautiful room we stayed in was room 9. However, there seem to be plenty of loch view rooms.
2 Thank Fiona605
Dear Fiona605,

Thank you very much to the two of you for joining us at the Green Park for the first time - and especially so as it was for your anniversary.

Your review goes above and ( well ) beyond the call of duty, and can I add a special thank you for your very candid and perceptive comments about the fact that we are all getting older. I drag myself to the gym on a semi regular basis, though if they ever decide to install a coffee machine and supply newspapers I will be done for. Latte would replace lycra in an instant, and any huffing and puffing would be overtaken by the Herald.

We look forward to welcoming the two of you again next April!

dundee
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2013

Just returned from a stay at this hotel and it will not be our last. Very welcoming on arrival and helpfully shown around to let you get your bearings. Huge choice at breakfasts and dinner menu different every night. Food beautifully presented and cooked with a good variety of dishes. The wine list is extensive with very reasonable prices
Bedrooms are a very good size and well furnished. There are a number of elderly folk here but there is plenty of space in the hotel to be on your own if you wish and our room had 2 lovely easy chairs where we sat and read at the window looking over the loch. If you are very active you will be out and about anyway so no issue.

Room Tip: Any room with a loch view and there are quite a number
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear brodgarDundee,

Many thanks for your very generous review, and for trying us out for the first time. Visiting a hotel for the first time can be a real voyage of adventure, so we are glad to read that you lived to tell the tale!

Here in Pitlochry, we await tomorrows promised heatwave so we all have our Bermuda shorts and Ray bands at the ready. Hope springs eternal.

We look forward to welcoming the two of you again as promised, and thank you again for going to the trouble of posting a review.