“Lovely hotel in a lovely location”

The Green Park Hotel
Ranked #2 of 18 Hotels in Pitlochry
London, United Kingdom
“Lovely hotel in a lovely location”
Reviewed 20 May 2014

My parents have been going on about this place for ages and I have bought holiday vouchers from the hotel several times so I was curious to have a look. I decided to do a surprise visit to see my parents when they were staying there and arranged to stay by email explaining it was a surprise. The staff were very helpful and even booked it in a different name so there was no chance of my parents spotting my name. It is about 15-20 mins walk from the train station and the centre of Pitlochry, although I suspect most guests are drivers not trainers! The staff at reception were very friendly and efficient and I was shown to my room - a nice touch. The room was very nice with some excellent touches such as a pair of binoculars for looking out on the loch and bottles of water and even a chrystal glass! For me the room was too hot - but with the windows open and discarding almost all the bedclothes, it was nearly bearable - but I do like a cold bedroom! The grounds are well maintained with a putting green in front and there are plenty of walks right on the hotel's doorstep. Dinner was simply excellent - a nice choice, changing daily - I paid the extra for the steak and it was simply huge! Breakfast the next day was again very good indeed and the staff, most of whom seem to stay for years, were always very helpful and polite. The hotel has many small civilities scattered around - wildlife books and binoculars by many windows, jigsaws with magnifying glass to hand, free mobility scooters, free afternoon tea & cakes and a nice library room upstairs. It aims totally at the retired, reasonably well off market and does it very well indeed - at 45 I was the youngest guest by about 20 years! If you want a pleasant stay in a friendly and immaculately maintained environment, you could do an awful lot worse.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank MalcolmT1
PitlochryAlistair, Owner at The Green Park Hotel, responded to this review, 23 May 2014
Dear MalcolmT1,

Delighted to read that your surprise visit was a success, and that we didn't give the game away to your parents. I used to work for a large hotel chain, and we put champagne and chocolates in a couples bedroom to congratulate them on their engagement, only to discover that he had yet to propose! Not a good day.

Here the Festival Theatre have unveiled ambitious plans for a £25million expansion. John Durnin's vision is to transform Pitlochry into Scotland's premier building-based producing theatre. The company would tour more of it's shows around Scotland and beyond, and would extend its summer season into the spring as well as the autumn. We wish him every success in this bold move.

Many thanks again for your surprise visit, your voucher purchases, and we look forward to welcoming mum and dad again in the future.

For the McMenemie Family.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (209)
Callander, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 May 2014

I have been visiting this hotel for many years and the experience has always been first class. During my most recent stay the service went beyond anything I could have expected, a Vegetarian Menu was printed for my use and the position of the bed was altered to meet my needs. No fuss, just exceptional attention to the details that make for an outstanding hotel.
Friendly staff, quietly efficient service, excellent food, very comfortable room and wonderfully relaxing surroundings with beautiful views. Unbeatable value.

Patricia M

Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
Dear PatriciaM1745,

Many thanks for your latest stay with us at the Green Park, and for such a generous review. We hope that there were enough vegetarian options on the menu we put together for you.

Here, the theatre's summer season starts tonight with the brand new Scottish musical comedy 'Whisky Kisses'. It's hard to believe that this will be the 64th summer season, since the theatre was founded in a marquee back in 1951. John Stewart would be very proud of his legacy.

Your many visits to the hotel are greatly appreciated, and we look forward to welcoming you again soon.

Alistair
Dundee, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 May 2014

We were here for a short stay 're first week in May 2014. It was our first visit the hotel having been recommended by friends, and we were not dissapointed. From the moment we walked in we were greeted with friendliness, our luggage was whisked away to our room, while we were shown round the public rooms, which are so bright and airy, with such comfortable chairs and plump cushions. Our bedroom was delightful and the view spectacular.
Food was delicious and staff so efficient and friendly. Our time passed much to quickly, I would loved to have stayed longer to enjoy the tranquillity of the hotel.

Room Tip: I'm sure all rooms are excellent as you see the Loch where ever you are in the hotel
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Christine C
PitlochryAlistair, Owner at The Green Park Hotel, responded to this review, 9 May 2014
Dear Christine C,

Delighted to receive your lovely review, and to read that you will still be speaking to your friends after they had recommended the Green Park to you!

Here at the hotel we have received our latest addition to the staff, namely a "Hearstart Defibrillator".
Everyone has decided to keep it on my desk at the moment, as seemingly I am the person most likely to require its services. This clearly indicates that I am the hardest working individual in the hotel.

Our Etape cyclists continue to arrive, and are all looking ahead to their challenge of completing the 82 mile course on Sunday. We wish them all well, and have our fingers crossed that the weather forecast continues to improve.

Many thanks again for the review, and we look forward to welcoming you both again.

Falkirk, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 May 2014

My mum and I returned for our third visit to this wonderful hotel last week for a two nights stay.

We were celebrating mum's birthday first day, there was a lovely surprise in the room, which was very appreciated!!

The hotel has everything you want for a stay - lovely room, beautiful view, relaxing and happy atmosphere, gorgeous food and very pleasant staff. We are already booked to return and can't wait!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
PitlochryAlistair, Owner at The Green Park Hotel, responded to this review, 8 May 2014
Dear ADuff1,

Many thanks for the very generous review, and delighted to read that your mum's birthday stay was a success. May she have many more of them.

Do either of you or your mum know what an "Oolit" is ? Well it's Scots for the Tawny Owl. I know this because one of our guests ( Dr. Robin Jackson ,) has just published a book entitled 'A Guide To Scots Bird Names'. For a small fee, I am now available to settle any arguments about said bird names, and I was delighted to see "Spug / Spuggie" included for the House Sparrow.

What a talented bunch our guests are.

Co.Antrim
Reviewed 29 April 2014

My husband and I stayed here with another couple for 2 nights 17th and 18th April. Hotel is lovely,very relaxing , beautiful grounds and food exceptional. But the best of all was the friendly staff - couldn't be more helpful. because of this atmosphere the guests were also all very friendly to each other. Will be back and would recommend to anyone wanting a luxurious break

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Co_AntrimJenny,

Many thanks to the four of you for choosing to join us at Pitlochry and the Green Park, and delighted to read that you lived to tell the tale. Your very kind comments are much appreciated, and they are shared with all our staff.

Here the town is gearing up for the Etape Weekend, which is probably the largest showing of lycra in the Western world. 3000+ cyclists pushing themselves through the agonies of an 82 mile bike ride, taking in the glories of Highland Perthshire. Richard - one of our chefs - completed the ride a few years ago, and he has never been the same man since. If there is anyone out there who is contemplating what to do for a mid-life crisis, I would recommend a wee look at the Etape website.

Sorry for the digression away from your review, and can I just thank you again for going to the trouble of posting one. We look forward to welcoming you all again!

oxon
Reviewed 23 April 2014

This is a very pleasant place at which to stay. The position, the friendly staff and the quality of
the food have been mentioned my many before. Room 31 has a lovely view down the Loch and the provision of binoculars was a thoughtful touch. Highly recommended.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
PitlochryAlistair, Owner at The Green Park Hotel, responded to this review, 26 April 2014
Dear ironmanOxon,

Many thanks for joining us at Pitlochry and the Green Park, and for posting such a supportive review.

Here all is well, with everyone fully occupied with the days events. It's amazing what seems very important at the time, but you are hard pushed to recall a short time later. I have taken to writing down lists of things I need to remember, which I am sure is not a good sign of things to come!

Thanks once again for joining us, and we hope to welcome the two of you again in the future.

Chester-le-Street UK
Reviewed 16 April 2014

If this hotel is 9th in TA's UK Hotels then I cannot wait to visit numbers 1-8 !This hotel is just wonderful - location,food,rooms,staff, friendliness,art works- you name it,it is top class. Even the weather was fab when we were there but, this being Scotland, you cannot always rely on that! All this greenery,the lochs and rivers require sustenance!

Room Tip: Ideally a lochside view but all rooms are fine.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
PitlochryAlistair, Owner at The Green Park Hotel, responded to this review, 18 April 2014
Dear BillC7197,

A big thank to you for taking the time and trouble to post a review. We were delighted to read that you were happy with Pitlochry and the Green Park - and even the weather!

Easter Weekend promises to be a very pleasant one, with sunshine forecast. Talking of sunshine, I hope that you have all noticed that Saint Johnstone have qualified for the Scottish Cup Final having tried and failed to do so for the last 130 years. This is roughly the same time that I have been trying to get my two children - Liam and Megan - to do the recycling at home. I have to report that I have yet to be as successful as the "Saints".

Many thanks again for the great review, and we look forward to welcoming you both again to the Green Park.

Alistair