“Proper tea and proper tearoom - simply the best”
Review of Hettie's Tearoom

Hettie's Tearoom
Ranked #1 of 3 Dessert in Pitlochry
Cuisines: Scottish
Dining options: Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 28 May 2014

The first thing that "shocks" the unsuspecting customer is the pink and blue design but your eyes become attuned very quickly and settle down to reading the tea menu which is the most extensive I've come across in Scotland. My wife plumped for an old favourite, Earl grey whereas I toyed with the Lapsang Souchong (not everyone's taste) and eventually went with "A very fair maid" which is mix of lapsang and roiboos and very delicious.

The soup came in large square-ish bowls and was accompanies by a large slice of bread and butter.

The challenge was the "big cake" - we had opted for the soup and "big cake" deal. The only way to really see the cakes was to go outside and look in the window but it is a small tearoom as the queue which was building up behind us attested. You really wanted to have everything but I went for the carrot cake and my better half for the chocloate cake. Both were superb and huge. My carrot cake was the most succulent, carrot (yes, real carrots!) and walnut packed version I have EVER tasted and I savoured it slowly.

Loved the special electronic waiter! (If you want to find out more, you'll need to go)

Wont be able to pass Pitlochry ever again....

Write a ReviewReviews (1,456)

Reviewed 21 May 2014

Been here a couple of times now and on both occasions our plates were, in the main, tasty and largely portioned. Mind you, you pay for it. Cake portions are massive and the sandwiches' are wedges served with salad but with a sorry portion of crisps. They also add their "famous" pink coleslaw. If, like me, you like sultanas in your slaw you're sorted, otherwise :-\

Decor is a bit crap though. Garishly pink and blue and you need to like them on facebook to use their wifi. That's fair enough I suppose, but it's also fair enough that I un-liked them 5 minutes later. Oh and there was a used tampon on the toilet floor :-S

All said and done though I'll probably set foot in Hetties again, but some people say I'm just lazy

Reviewed 15 May 2014

I have visited this tearoom several times and the service has always been good. The homemade cakes are nice and the portions a good size. However, I think it is REALLY expensive. There are far cheaper cafes in Pitlochry that provide as nice a cuppa. They are a bit gimmicky with their timers for your teapot etc. Nice but there are plenty of other places to choose from.

Reviewed 12 May 2014

I am a tea person and so I walked in wanting some guidance on the selection. What I got was a personalised service with a good dose of jokes and laughter to help me choose the best tea for me. It was the Hettie in the Heather and another one which was the Earl Grey. With this I had a high protein flapjack which they had baked especially for the Etape race (with the bikers in mind). It was delicious.

Warm decor and smells of tea as you walk in which is lovely. Slightly confused with the hi-tech buzzer system to place orders (is it necessary in such a small tea room?) and the tea pots could be updated (just plain metal ones, burned myself trying to open it to stop the tea from brewing) but it didn't affect the lovely experience I had there. A very friendly service and great quality tea.

Reviewed 7 May 2014

Friendly staff here make your visit worthwhile. Soup sandwiches and delicious cakes and scones what more could you ask for.