“Two gripes ...”

Blair Athol Distillery
Ranked #4 of 40 things to do in Pitlochry
More attraction details
Owner description: Blair Athol Distillery is one of the oldest working Distilleries in Scotland established in 1798. We are open to the public 362 days a year and are the spiritual home of Bell's. We have a range of tours and tastings available and the full list can be found by our website.
Reviewed 10 June 2014

Gripe no. 1. Very confusing if you are walking from Pitlochry to the distillery. No clear signage if you walk in off the road. If you find yourself in the courtyard you need to turn right to the reception area to buy your ticket for the tour but there is no clear indication. It's okay if you arrive by car/bus because you are automatically decanted into reception. Clear discrimination against pedestrians!
Gripe no. 2. The tour guide was not a native English speaker and her English was heavily accented. It was difficult to understand what she was saying against the noise of the distillery machinery - other native English speakers commented on this. I spoke to a French couple in the tour, one with reasonable English, who were totally lost. Lord knows what the Japanese in the party made of it. Nothing, I expect. This was a great shame and is a reminder that English is but an imperfect international language and all the more so under extreme, industrial circumstances. Note to distillery (and this is not a racist or nationalist comment): please use native English speakers with good, clear voices.

1  Thank misteresperanto
There are newer reviews for Blair Athol Distillery

Reviewed 3 June 2014

The staff was very helpful despite being overloaded by guests. The visit was interesting and the whiskey was quite good.

Reviewed 24 May 2014

A must try for scotch lovers. You see it sign marked as Bells as this distillery we were told supplies most of the scotch for Bells.
Vanessa was a wonderful guide and considerate of my wife and bub, so they could do the second part of the tour safely.
She had a fabulous knowledge of the distillery and the best ways to taste and enjoy whiskey. She was a fun and knowledgeable guide so she deserves a mention by name for sure.

I swapped my Friends of malts printed off pass for a full passport here and got free entry and tasting and the passprts was good for Dalwhinnie half and hour up the road.

The cask aged special Blair Atholl is brilliant.

Reviewed 21 May 2014 via mobile

I visited the distillery with three of my friends. We are great whisky fans and were absolutely delighted with our experience. Our tour guide ,Vanessa was both, entertaining and informative with a wealth of knowledge and therefore would definitely recommend the tour and the whisky. Beautiful building as well. Thank you for the great experience.

1  Thank William3183
Reviewed 10 May 2014

I have done a fair amount of distillery tours but this one was probably the best, myself and my wife were lucky enough to be in a small party of 6 people in total, the tour guide Rainer, was interesting, witty, and very knowledgeable, not only about Blair Athol but the industry in general, for £6.50 a person, very good value for money, and the single malt is lovely.