“Warm and welcoming”

Ranked #17 of 18 Hotels in Pitlochry
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Warm and welcoming”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2011

We were given a warm welcome considering we had changed our booking several times and finally booked at the last minute due to family circumstances. Staff were friendly and very attentive, service was excellent and the bedrooms were clean and well decorated. However, the evening meal menu left a lot to be desired, there was not much choice and the 4 courses dinner was served within half an hour which left us feeling rather rushed and not as if we were on holiday and relaxing over our meal. We would definately stay here again if the evening menu improved and service was not so rushed however the breakfast choice was excellent and had our evening meal been served with the same relaxed atmosphere then we would definately recommend.

• Stayed April 2011
DonaldMacleod, General Manager at Scotland's Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 28 April 2011
Thank you for your comments on your recent stay. My chef and I have taken on board your comments with regards to the menu and are looking at how improvements can be made. My apologies with regards to the service, we are aware that training is required. We would be delighted to welcome you back in the future.

Donald Macleod

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (339)
Edinburgh
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2011

We also stayed here as part of the Groupon £85 dinner, bed and breakfast deal. Like others have said, I'm glad I didn't pay more. The receptionist was a really rude and unhelpful person, several times she was on what appeared to be a private call and made us wait several minutes to be seen to. We wouldn't have minded if she had the courtesy to aknowledge us and say 'I'll just be a minute" or something, but she just completely ignored us, and we just had to loiter around in the hallway. When she did finally serve us, it took her about ten years to find our booking, and seemed to disbelieve us when we showed her that, yes, it's definitely booked for tonight! Then she said our room wasn't ready yet and to come back at 3pm, even though it was 2:57! Our room was actually ok, 3 floors up on creaky stairs, but quite a nice view of the church, although a bit noisy as it was above the kitchen/ staff areas. It was clean and comfortable and just fine. The communal areas are dark and shabby and a bit musty. The dinner was ok, I ended up paying the £13.95 supplement for the steak, which was fine, although not fantastic, and my hubby enjoyed his chicken and mashed potato and gravy. The desserts were really very nice. I found the waiting staff, although rushed, to be really pleasant and friendly. We were hurried out a bit at the end, and told we could have our tea and coffee in the lounge, but when we got there, there was nowhere to sit down, so we just went to our room and used the kettle up there. Breakfast was ok, although the food must have been sitting in a bain marie for a while, as there was water all over my plate, and I had to drain it all off onto a saucer. But it was all quite tasty. The pool and spa were fine, nice to have a swim after a lovely walk in the hills, and there was a lovely view of the hills from the pool and restaurant. The location was fantastic, just one street back from the high street. It was not too bad, but I would only recommend this hotel if you got a cheap deal, don't pay the rack rates.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
Many thanks for taking the time to review your stay, please accept my apologies for the experience you encountered on reception, this is unacceptable and I will ensure further training of our staff. Again I apologise that you felt rushed during dinner service, this is also an area in which further training is required. Once again thank you for your review, your comments are invaluable in helping us improve.

scotland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 April 2011

We stayed here on a dinner, bed & breakfast overnight break. Was really pleased with our double room. The location of the hotel is excellent, just one street back from the main road so very central yet quiet. Swimming pool was a welcome retreat after a 3 hour walk in the hills. Evening meal was enjoyable but a bit disappointed with the fixed menu. Choice was lamb, fish or vegetarian. The other 2 choices on menu were steak and duck with a supplement of £13.95 & £14.95 respectively. At these prices I didn't feel this was a supplement but probably full price for a meal which you thought you had already paid for. Apart from that we had a lovely stay. This is the 2nd Crerar Hotel we've stayed at and would recommend.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us. Glad you enjoyed your stay with us and made good use of the leisure club. My apologise that our full A La Carte was not available during your stay, you'll be glad to know our A La Carte its been fully up and running now should you wish to re-visit in the near future. Thank you again for taking the time and reviewing your stay with us.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 April 2011

Apologies for the length of this review, but I thought the full details are required to see the full extent of the poor service we received.....

My partner and I booked a one night stay via Groupon. The deal was dinner, bed and breakfast plus an overnight stay for 2, for £85. We thought that sounded good, and booked it. I clicked through the Groupon email, which took me straight to the Crerar hotels site, for booking online. I followed through the process, but at each stage I was being urged to fill in a voucher code, which I didn't have. I continued through the process anyway in case it was just a standard notice, and sure enough, I had a confirmation stating " Twin/Double Room Groupon Voucher".

I was still concerned about the voucher code as the site stated that they could not guarantee any rates with out them, so I emailed the hotel via the address on the confirmation. I sent the message on 6th April, and had no reply. I emailed again on 17th April, figuring two weeks was more than enough time, and again had no reply in the days that followed.

I was becoming really concerned that my booking hadn't gone through, so I called the hotel around 20/21st April. I called 3 times - no answer. I called the Crerar hotels central booking line, and had the phone HUNG UP on me TWICE without anyone speaking. I eventually got through, and was informed I'd need to contact the hotel. I did so, and finally got through after another 2 tries. The phone rung out each time, it wasn't engaged! The person I spoke to was extremely rude and "snippy" and didn't seem willing to listen, and clearly wanted to interrupt me at every turn. She did however confirm that the booking was through, and that I should bring my confirmation email to receive the deal. I then finally received a reply to my original emails on 23 April, again confirming my booking.

And so 24th April finally arrived, and we made our way up to the hotel, thinking everything was fine, we'd had two separate confirmations. When we arrived, I handed my confirmation email, and the receptionists had a quick whisper between themselves (very rude), and asked us to wait in the lobby and someone would "speak to us about our booking". I was worried straight away. I also checked my phone while waiting and discovered that 10 minutes before we had arrived, I had a voicemail from the hotel asking me to call urgently.

I made my way back to the reception, very concerned at this point, and was sharply told to sit down again! Eventually a receptionist came over and informed us that they were very sorry, but the hotels systems had gone down recently, they had managed to overbook, and there was no room for us. This is despite TWO seperate confirmations that we had a booking and they were expecting us.

They made a call to another hotel in Pitlochry who were willing to honour the £85 deal, which was very good of them, but it wasn't where we had paid to stay!! We were not the only couple who had been left without accomodation in that hotel either - there were other couples sitting in the lobby receiving the same chat as we did.

I have never written a bad review about any hotel I have stayed in, but I found every dealing I had with this hotel and Crerar to be substandard. To confirm a booking twice, then allow people to travel to the hotel, only to be told there were no rooms available on arrival. Crerar hotels should be avoided at all costs.

We would like to thank the Acarsaid for taking our booking, and giving us a place to stay eventually......

Room Tip: Don't take their word for anything!
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time and my apologies about the way your whole booking was dealt with since purchasing the Groupon voucher, since advertising on Groupon we have been inundated with calls about bookings. Regarding the overbooking again my apologies and if you wish to contact me regarding this please do again my apologies.

Donald Macleod

Travellers are raving about these Pitlochry hotels

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2011

This hotel could do with some upgrading but loudly for what we paid for it as part of the groupon deal. The hotel is in a good location in the centre of town, close to local shops, restaurants, pubs and walks. We stayed here as part of a package which included 3 course dinner and bottle of wine, bed and breakfast; it was £85 for both of us.
Our room, was in fact, fairly well decorated; the was disappointing but not a big deal as hardly spent time in our room. Our room was clean and had no complaints.

We used the spa area twice once in the afternoon and morning which had everything you would expect; pool, jacuzzi, sauna and steam room. It was clean, relaxing and great extra for the money.

Our meal was lovely and delicious. The wine offered was enjoyable and very nice. The service was great and friendly. Our breakfast was really great.

Although this hotel could do with some upgrading which has happened in some areas it is a nice hotel and a great deal with groupon.

• Stayed April 2011
DonaldMacleod, General Manager at Scotland's Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 3 May 2011
Thank you for your time and reviewing your stay with us and glad you enjoyed your short break, good to read you enjoyed our spa facilities,The hotel does have a rolling maintenance programme in place now. Thank you for taking the time to review your stay.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2011

An extremely professionally run hotel with a welcoming and relaxing atmosphere. Rooms are fantastic and staff are amazingly helpful. Restaurant and food is top quality and realistically priced. Spacious, clean and located yards from the main street. Will be returning.

• Stayed April 2011
DonaldMacleod, General Manager at Scotland's Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 12 August 2012
Thank you for taking the time and reviewing your stay with us, my apologies that i seemed to have missed this review, glad you had such an enjoyable stay with us at Scotlands, thanks again for your review

Regards
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2011

I am sorry to say that our stay in this hotel had to be the least value for money ever and I am not sure how long ago the brouchure pictures were taken but I guess a long long time ago - either that or they have a very good photographer, Rooms could not be further from the truth. Ours was foisty, old, tiny and so so sparce! The view from our bedroom overlooked a row of tin huts that staff visited often, shouting and smoking etc...Looking forward to some nice treatments - unfortunately we were informed when we enquired that they do not have any staff to carry out treatments?? Food menu was very limited and uneventful.
Hotel lacks atmosphere and any form of luxury .......very dissapointed

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time and reviewing your stay with us, I wish all my rooms had fantastic views but sadly they don't, my apologies for my staff making such a noise will make sure this is controlled for future guests staying in that room. Unfortunately I'm still seeking to employ a therapist as this would finish off my leisure club again my apologies. The hotel does have a rolling maintenance programme in place now. Thank you for taking the time to review your stay.