Scotland's Hotel & Leisure Club
US$134
  • Restaurant
East Haugh House(Pitlochry)
US$174
The Pitlochry Hydro Hotel(Pitlochry)(Great Value!)
US$120
US$114
  • Pool
  • Restaurant
US$275
Priceline
1,711 results
All reviewscrerar hotelspa treatmentstaster menusauna and steam roomleisure centrefamily rooma bit tiredboth nightsrestaurant staffnight breakbed and breakfastfood was lovelyshort breakmy mumboth morningsgreat weekendthe main street
Reviewed 13 April 2012

Such are the contrasts in this hotel I am going to have to break this review in to sections. We were, as were many others, booked through Groupon for a D,B&B break.

The public areas : pretty tired and worn but clean, the reception/bar area had plenty comfy seats. The dinning room was big, bright and functional so do not expect an imtimate dinning experience. If you are in the centre of the room ( the dance floor ) it can be a bit like eating at sea as the floor bounces as the waiting staff pass by. There is also a very squeeky door to the kitchen which could do with a squirt of WD40.

The bedroom : we were in the old Bank House and our room (408) was fine, a good size bedroom and bathroom. Spotlessly clean and all the kit that you would expect. My only gripe would be the low water pressure made for a pretty poor shower.

The food : I think We got what we paid for, dinners were just OK, the starters and desserts were fine, the main courses were not the best but edible. A wee bit more imagination when it comes to presentation might have helped lift the standard. This may sound harsh but to try and indicate where we are hear, think somewhere between school dinners and average wedding fare. I thoroughly enjoyed my breakfasts both mornings, full cooked one morning and smoked haddock with poached eggs the next, spot on..

The Staff : I think charmingly chaotic is a reasonable description. All the staff were very pleasant and freindly but there seemed to be no system in operation in the dinning room, after ordering our meal from one person, we were always asked by another if we were ready to order. The sight of a puzzled looking waiter wandering around the room with a handful of plates then disappearing back into the kitchen was a common one. We were never asked if we would like a drink with our meal and both nights we had to ask for the bottle that was part of the deal. We were not told that coffee was available in the lounge and when we discovered it for ourselve found it to be cold.

As a couple of other reviewers have said, had I been paying full price I do not think I would have been too pleased but given what we paid for the break I think we got value for money.

Would I go back, I think I would just to see if they could get themselves organised, if they could the review would go from 3 to 4/5

1  Thank nessguy
DonaldMacleod, General Manager at Scotland's Hotel & Leisure Club, responded to this reviewResponded 16 April 2012

Thank you for taking the time and posting your review regarding your stay with us. We do have a rolling maintenace program and with such a large old building it does take time to get everything done. It is a very busy dining room and as you say very open but the later you turn up the hustle and rush of most diners has been completed and the romantics then come in. Will certainly check the plumbing in room 408 apologies this had poor power.Thank you for your mixed comments about your dinner but glad you had an enjoyable couple of breakfast, was surprised to read the coffee was cold as was being served in thermos flasks again my apologies. Thanks again for your review

Reviewed 13 April 2012

Me and my partner just stayed at this hotel for 2 nights through a groupon deal. £150.00 for 2 people, 2 nights at hotel, 4 course dinner, bottle of wine, breakfast each night plus the use of the swimming pool, sauna, steam room and gym. Anyone that has the cheek to slag this hotel really needs to get a grip.

We stayed in room 216. Fantastic views of the forest, large double bed plus a single one, excellent scottish decor, large bathroom and more than enough towels and toiletries.
Food was very good. Different set menu each night. Examples include, butternut squash soup, venison pate, caesar salad, trout, seabass, chicken, lemon tart, cheese, eton mess.
The level of service was also very good. We were seated straight away, staff very attentive and did it all with a smile and a thank you. I was needing wine glasses and a glass of ice and the gentleman behind the bar gave us the glasses and an ice bucket full of ice. We were very happy as our bottles of wine were kept well chilled!
Leisure facilities were fantastic. Swimming pool large enough, jacuzzi worked no problem, the sauna and steam fits 4 people not 2 like the previous reviewer stated. Hence the reason there's 4 seats in each room!!
Hotel perfectly located in the city centre. Butchers and a bank next door. The local off licence 30 seconds away.

All in All a fantastic trip.

Room Tip: 216 was fantastic as we had views of the forest.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
DonaldMacleod, General Manager at Scotland's Hotel & Leisure Club, responded to this reviewResponded 11 August 2012

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us at Scotlands Hotel, glad you had such a wonderful stay with us and that my staff looked after you so well, thank you for all your kind comments and hope you'll be returning again soon.

Reviewed 12 April 2012

staff lovely, room fine, spa decent if small- food consistently awful; desserts clearly prepared hours (days?) in advance- the sauce was so hard I thought it was a painted pattern on the plate; ravioli was actually tortellini and clearly bought in dried, dessert second night was burned past being edible. Really awful, awful food. Hot breakfast when not inclusive is £18, which is perhaps the worst value for money I've ever encountered in any area of my life.

Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Martin S

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us at Scotlands. My apologies that you never enjoyed your meals with us, all the days dinner is prepared through the afternoon in readiness for the evening. The breakfast at £18 is for people that walkin of the street not for our guests.Thank you for your lovely comments about my staff, rooms and spa. Thanks again for your review

Reviewed 10 April 2012

Myself and my husband booked this hotel for our 1st year anniversary and stayed there for two nights over Easter weekend.

On arrival we were directed to our room, immediately I noticed the hotel was quite outdated and everything was quite dreary and dull. The room itself was tiny and we could barely move around. You had to shut the door before the other person could get in! But it was clean and the decor wasnt too bad within the room.

The spa was average, it was very small and you could only fit two people into the sauna and steam rooom. But it was fine for what it was!

All in all it wasnt too bad, but the service was a bit shocking for a place that seemed to be quite busy the bar shut early even when the residents were still in it. You also had to wait or go to reception to get someone to serve you from the bar! The staff in the dining room were all over the place. My husband actually had to go to a table and take butter and milk as no one seemed to come over and ask us if we needed anything. On the second day we were directed back through to the lounge as there was no clean tables. It then registered that we had been forgotten about and we waited 20 minutes before I went back to the dining room and told them we had been waiting.

I didnt complain at the time, but I dont think it would of mattered if I did. We are both laid back and don't tend to complain and usually see the good in most situations but I have to say in this instance I was slightly disappointed. I would not go back to this hotel or would recommend it to my friends based on this experience.

Room Tip: If you go to your room and it is really small - ask reception if you can move to a bigger room, we didnt and I wish we had done!
1  Thank JenTerr

Thank you for taking the time and reviewing your stay with us, sorry you found your bedroom on the small side just the luck of the draw, we do have bigger rooms available. Our spa is small each room wild hold about 4-5 persons which is big enough. My apologies about the service you received in my dining room I know we had started some new staff that were getting trained over that weekend but this should have made the weekend all the easier, my apologies you were kept waiting. When it goes to night porter service he has to close the bar as he has fire checks to do, normally he goes round the tables and lets you know if anyone wants anything he's just at reception.Thanks again for your review

Reviewed 9 April 2012

just stayed for a two night break with my husband through a groupn deal. The deal itself was excellent value for money, however if I had been paying the full price I think I would have been disappointed. Staff were very friendly and helpful. Hotel itself was clean, although tired looking in terms of carpeting and decor in some places. Room was small but sufficient, bathroom larger and clean. Spa pool and steam room / sauna were good. Dinner was disappointing at points - turkey extremely dry - and I would have complained if full price had been paid. Execellent cheeseboard to finish however! Breakfast was fine, staff in kitchen accomodating to tastes (although my favourite type of cooked breakfast in a hotel is a buffet which was not the case here). Have previously stayed in chevin, another crerar hotel which was brilliant, and this hotel is not of the same callibre.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us. Thank you for your comments we do have an rolling maintenace program in place and being an old hotel does take time.My apologies that you found the turkey a bit on the dry side will certainly speak with chef about, glad you enjoyed your cheeseboard, we don't sadly have the space to do a buffet breakfast as we need all our tables for our guests as I'm sure you seen how busy we get. Thanks again for your review