“christmas 2012”

Ranked #17 of 18 Hotels in Pitlochry
scotland
“christmas 2012”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 January 2013

had a great time at this hotel during Christmas the staff were excellent and full of fun we stayed for 4 nights DBB and stayed in the main building and although the room was small it was clean and adequate the spa was a little bit small but still enjoyed it the hotel is central the food not a la carte but enjoyable look for a deal at this hotel it is well worth it

Room Tip: ask for a room in the main building if you don't want to walk outside to reach the main building
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
DonaldMacleod, General Manager at Scotland's Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 10 February 2013
Thank you for taking the time review your recent stay with us over the festive period, glad you enjoyed your stay and that my staff looked after you during your Christmas break. Thanks again for your review

Donald Macleod

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (340)
Alva
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 January 2013

stayed here January 2013. Staff very warm and friendly, room was great spacious yet cosy, spa facilities are brilliant and THE MEALS WERE TO DIE FOR !!!! The menu for dinner was well balanced and everything was cooked to perfection can really recomend the"daub of meat"

Room Tip: corner room was very quiet
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank crown1
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us, glad you enjoyed your stay and everything went well, will certainly pass your comments onto my chef thanks again for your lovely review

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 January 2013

My family & I have just returned from another great stay at Scotlands Hotel.
The staff and managment care about their Guests, the food is good and well presented.
The leisure facitilties and pool are really nice and very clean, the rooms are clean, warm and comfy.
We all enjoyed our few days and cant wait to go back.
WELL DONE Scotlands keep up the good work,

Room Tip: I have stayed in different rooms within the hotel and each have been of a high standard.
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us, thank you for all your lovely comments and glad you enjoyed your stay with us again, thanks again for your lovely review

Crieff, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 January 2013

We came along last night to join our 12 friends for a meal who were spending the weekend on a D,B&B basis in your hotel. My husband ordered a sirloin steak which was completely rotten and stale, it had an awful cheesy rotten strong smell and was obviously not fit to be eatten. The chef should have caught this on while cooking it and was totally unacceptable that this was allowed to be served to us. We were offered a replacement but because of the disgusting smell it put my husband completely off. He did however decide to have chicken instead which arrived without any chips so by the time the chips eventually arrived my husband already had the chicken ate. We both had ordered a dessert at the time when ordering the meal which all of a sudden wasn't available after we had our meal and we had to choose something else which we didn't really want. (We felt this was the chef getting back at us at this point!) as this came across as being very odd.
The waitress collected the plates from our table before everyone was finished eatting which I thought would be a complete no no, especially as they didn't ask if we minded or not.
The dining room was freezing cold, we all sat with our coats on, I know it was snowing outside but this is no excuse.
The manager did not deal with our problem regarding the rotten steak well. We said we didn't think we should have to pay for the steak, the manager told us 'we can't give away free meals' We disagreed with him and said that it wasn't fair making us pay for something that was rotten. After a unsympathic discussion the manager eventually decided to waver the cost before storming off in an abrupt manner. A strange way of dealing with a problem especially from a 'manager'. His customer service skills definately need to be upgraded and fast. This manager then proceeded to ignore and avoid our friends over breakfast - not the proper attitude of a manager.
After this horrible experience our friends and ourselves have said they will never be back to this hotel.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank dawniou
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent dining experience with us, firstly my apologies that the steak you received was of a poor standard I have spoken with my chef about this as we get our steaks in packs of 5 and all the other steaks were good we have taken this up with our butcher to try understand why this could happen, my apologies if the restaurant manager was slightly off with you when complaining.I myself did contact you the day after I had received your email and apologised for the way this had been handled. I do hope you'll return again as for the sweets not being available that was geniue the kitchen did run short again my apologies. Thanks again for your review

Donald Macleod

Travellers are raving about these Pitlochry hotels

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 January 2013

After reading some of the reviews of this hotel, we were not sure what to expect. However we couldn't have asked for any thing better.
We were on a 2 night bed, breakfast and evening meal deal bought through groupon. We had to pay an extra £30 for a Saturday night stay which was well worth the money.
When we booked in the receptionist was first class and obviously knew her job. She was friendly and helpful.
The room was good but a wee bit dated. It was a good size and had everything we needed. The bed was comfy. The room was spotless.
Dinner was excellent both nights as were the breakfasts.
All the staff were eager to please and all were friendly.
The spa was great for a hotel of this size.
We would not hesitate in recommending this hotel. All in all a great weekend.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank 186525JohnM
DonaldMacleod, General Manager at Scotland's Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 21 January 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us at Scotland's, glad you came and decided for yourselves to find out how we are. Thanks for all your lovely comments and I'm glad you enjoyed yourstay with us, thanksagain for yout lovely review

Glasgow, Scotland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 January 2013

Through an online deal I purchased a 2 night DBB deal for half price. At half price it was acceptable, I think at full price I would have walked out and gone elsewhere.

I have real mixed feelings about this and really want to rate it higher, because the staff were lovely and the location was excellent, in fact the food although not modern was tasty. I'm trying.... the truth is the hotel is so dated and so very tired it's just not what today's travelers expect. On arrival, it's a lovely building, there's free parking and it's right off the main street, so very handy for a walkabout. The receptionist was lovely...after that it went downhill. The lift is a badly carpeted thing...when I say carpeted, I mean the walls too and not even very well, there are bulges in the wall and it's not even cut straight or edged. I think I could have done a better job after a bottle of wine... Ok, it works and we got used to it. The corridors are milky brown, and I mean everything, the doors, the woodwork and the woodchip walls. Its like that scene out of Mr Bean where he lets a paint bomb off in the room and everything is the same.

The room was a good size, but so drab and depressing. The bathroom had a shower curtain which didn't really stop the water spraying everywhere as it wasn't quite long enough to stay inside the bath. The old sash windows, although beautiful had no secondary glazing and the traffic started at around 7am every morning (the gritter at 6), that coupled with the creaky floorboards outside the door was just too much to sleep through, so no lie ins. The mattress would really have benefited from a mattress pad on the top as I could feel the springs pressing into my hips, 3 days after returning they were still bruised.

Dining lacked a few finishing touches. the inclusive wine we had with our online deal wasn't offered and one of the nights we weren't asked about drinks until the starters were on their way. We were presented with burnt toast at breakfast and were never asked if we wanted brown or white bread, Ok, little things, but when we both prefer wholemeal and a mixed tray only offers 2 small pieces and the rest is white, it's noticeable. Also the breakfast portions were a little on the small side, one sausage, one rasher of bacon etc seemed a little stingy for the £17.95 price tag and although we had our daughter with us, we never offered any children's menus or smaller portions at any of the meals. What I would say however, is the menus changed each evening, which was good and the food, although old fashioned, was well seasoned and tasty.

Finishing on positives, the pool was enjoyable and we loved the lounge off the bar, which was like an old hunting lodge with lots of comfy chairs and couches. There's a great range of whiskies to try at very reasonable prices and we had a lovely time chatting to other guests. The hotel really attracts a laid back client and everyone was so friendly. Times are hard and money is tight, but when things pick up this hotel should invest and it'll be a real treasure.

Room Tip: The 1st floor is actually ground level at some parts and the noise from the road is loud due to sing...
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us, sorry you feel the hotel is dated we get the hotel re-painted twice yearly by outside contractors and my maintenance man keeps up with all the other issues on a daily basis, the hotel is an old building and I'm sure you understand it takes a lot to maintain. Thank you for the lovely comments about my staff I'm glad they looked after you during your time with us. We do have some new staff and we do need to fine tune them its all the little things they need to remember. Thanks again for your review always helpful.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 January 2013 via mobile

Don't look for much in life. This was a great place to stay. Everything about it was grand. Stayed over an extra night and they also gave us the same rate as the previous nights . So if you don't ask you don't get. FANTASTIC 10/10

• Stayed March 2012
2 Thank Harkie1
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us at Scotland's Hotel, glad you enjoyed your stay with us and that everything went well thanks again for your review