“Not what I thought”

Scotland's Hotel & Leisure Club
Ranked #16 of 17 Hotels in Pitlochry
Reviewed 25 December 2013

I got what I thought was the deal of the year when I turned up. How wrong was I
The internal parts of the hotel was falling down. There was a bit of a pong in the communal areas, the room needed refurbishing and in the bathroom the shower worked.
The gym sounded great.... The exercise bike had broken straps and clunking crank.
At Breakfast the porridge was unedible.
I mentioned all this as I left and the receptionist said the staff were great but the manager was aware of the problems

Room Tip: Take a tent
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank chardhut
DonaldMacleod, General Manager at Scotland's Hotel & Leisure Club, responded to this reviewResponded 29 January 2014

Thanks for your comments,unsure what part of the hotel is falling down thou or what your smelling.. The hotels gym is in good working order be it just a small gym, the hotel it's self does need some work but that's out with my controls

Donald Macleod

Write a ReviewReviews (1,680)

Reviewed 24 December 2013

First arrived and the receptionist came back after 10 mins smelling like an ashtray, not exactly a great first impression of the place. I asked for some basic details such as times for breakfast and details about the spa and she seemed a bit clueless really and disinterested which is an understatement!!!! I stayed there with my partner a few night but to be honest I would have been happier at home sleeping on clean sheets, the room wasn't great at all it was very tired and dark. It wasn't very clean the bed sheets were stained and the bathroom was filthy. The staff were shocking especially in the restaurant, they were unable to understand English and after asking approx five times they got my dinner right, it was only a steak I wanted, I had to point to it and even then they went to get another foreign person to try and understand what I wanted, seemed more like faulty towers I was in. The restaurant staff appeared very unhappy and kept speaking in a foreign language to one another, cant say i came across many scottish staff at all which was a bit odd but also spoke volumes about the running of the place. The food was great just what I wanted nice and tasty, shame the waiting staff were useless to say the least. We went to McNabs on our first nights stay the pub was very very quiet and lacked any kind of atmosphere at all felt like everybody had gone down the street for their night out, pretty obvious why given that the place was overpriced and seriously in need of a revamp.

To be honest my overall impression of the place was that there was next to no staff on and they all looked miserable, it was run down and I couldn't see a manager anywhere during our stay, hotel is terrible value for money please go elsewhere and save your money. The hotel itself isn't good in comparison to all the other hotels in the area that we saw which were as it turned out a bit cheaper aswell and a lot more central.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us,very sorry you never enjoyed your stay with us and sorry their was nobody at reception when you arrived. We do have a few foreign staff working here and their normally very helpful and learning English every day. Thanks again for your review

Reviewed 22 December 2013

Just back from one night at Scotland's Hotel and its a pity Crerar don't invest some money in upgrading their hotels. We had a small room 103 and although it was fresh and clean, the Windows and bathroom would benefit from being replaced with new and generally the corridors to all the rooms need new carpets and perhaps fresh paint, pictures and soft lighting, flowers just something to lift the decor. That said we had a lovely evening meal, couldn't fault the food. Better than we had at Kingsmills Inverness the previous week. We were off to the theatre and Donald the manager very kindly drove us there as we were limited for time, it was raining and there was no chance of getting a,taxi. He collected us after the show too. The hotel had hired a band perhaps thinking guests would like music around the festive but unfortunately for whatever reason there were only a handful in the hall which is a real shame as the 3 piece band Head2head were excellent. Breakfast was very good also with plenty choice and quick pleasant service. Check out was slow but then if there is only one receptionist then she can only check out one group at a time but she had a lovely manner and was very apologetic. Would I stay again? Yes but would probably upgrade to a bigger room. All the staff work very hard and long hours and all were pleasant and helpful. The food was excellent and I would go here for a meal even if I wasn't staying over. I have rated it average purely on decor.

Room Tip: 103 very small. Showers but no bath
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
DonaldMacleod, General Manager at Scotland's Hotel & Leisure Club, responded to this reviewResponded 16 January 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us, thank you for all your lovely comments and you were very welcome, the hotel is in need of wee upgrade I won't argue their. Thank you again for your kind comments.

Reviewed 16 December 2013

We travelled in a group aged from 30 to 80 years old. We all found the hotel excellent with super service. The rooms were clean and well set out and the hotel is well placed for walking everywhere.

The meals were very good quality and value for money. We even got a packed lunch for the trip home supplied by the hotel.

Staff can not do enought for you.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us, I'm glad you enjoyed your stay with us and thank you for your kind comments.

Reviewed 12 December 2013 via mobile

Stayed for just one night in November- the hotel did the trick good wifi and pc use etc. Surprised that it calls it's self a spa though- there is a family pool with jacuzzi beside it and a sauna and steam room that look out into the pool... not relaxing at all!
Didn't eat in so can't comment on dinner but the cooked breakfast was good. The service was lacking slightly though- my toast was forgotten about since I didn't want tea or coffee?! That was the excuse anyway.

It also seemed at checkout that the girl on reception had had no training- felt a bit sorry for her when she needed to deal with a tricky customer infront of me!

• Stayed: November 2013
1  Thank rebeccaE86

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us, I've never had a problem relaxing in the pool their are chairs around poolside for guests to use. Sorry about my staff forgetting your toast. Thanks again for your review

Reviewed 10 December 2013

Stayed for 2 nights. Got a great deal via Hotel Connexions. Expected the hotel to be a little tired looking in places based on previous reviews - and it was, but I had set my expectations accordingly so I couldn't grumble - might have if I was paying full prices though.
The breakfast was superb & really enjoyed the pool which was empty both times I went.
Need to sort the drink prices in McNabs bar - especially the Ossian Ale - I was charged £4.60 for a pint!! Now I know I can expect to pay a bit more in hotels, but this was the hotels public bar. The situation was proved to be even more ridiculous given that the same ale was £3.10 in the Fishers Hotel on the main street. £1.50 difference is OTT. I noted other beers/drinks had a sizable differential. No wonder we were the only two customers in McNabs and the Fishers Hotel bar had dozens of customers and a great atmosphere!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us, sorry you felt our bar prices are on the high side the bar your comparing us to is the cheapest in town. Thanks for your comments.

Reviewed 9 December 2013

we arrived at the hotel on a Friday night, there was no staff in sight, after looking for somebody for about 15 mins, the receptionist came back, she was very apologetic, she was seeing a guest to their room. we checked in got all the details of the meal times,we were given the wrong time for breakfast, etc, including the attached bar, we got directions to our room. Got to the room, on first look seemed nice, my husband went to the toilet, the tile by the sink was so loose you could lift it up, the towel rail was bound up with electrical tape at the connection point but was still loose. We met the rest of our party and decided to try McNabs, we ordered the food, my steak salad turn out to be a steak sandwich, i accepted it as i was hungry, my sister-in-law ordered a mushroom, goats cheese and spinach salad, and was presented with mushroons on leafs that did not resemble spinach, she complained and was given the goats cheese, the "real chips" were frozen chips. overpriced bellow average service. we went out for the evening and came back later where we got some drinks from the hotel bar, they had run out of Jack Daniels, so the porter got another bottle, which was nice of him, the cost for 2 drinks £8.40. went to our beds i noticed there was a stain on the tartan throw on the bed and the curtains were also stained. Breakfast was pretty good, plenty to choose from. later that day we used the pool facilities, the changing room was untidy, shower floor was dirty and the laundry basket was overflowing, the attendant spent most of his time on his phone. enjoyed the facilities though.
Dinner that night, 3 of us had soup which was lovely, 1 had the crayfish and salmon which again was nice, the other 2 unfortunately order the caramalised onion tarte tanin with a sweet pepper coulis, this was actual a vol-au-vont filled with cold saute onions, again we complained the waiter came back and told us that the chef accepted that it wasn't right. the turkey was ok, the roast potatoes were covered in pepper, and no oatmeal stuffing. the chocolate brownie with almond ice-cream, the brownie was hard didn't have that chew to them, and the almond ice-cream was vanilla. i bought the same drink as the night before from the bar before we left for the evening £9.20 more expensive than the night before. breakfast the next day, we arrived at 9.20, the waitress said table for 4, even though there is six in our party, we declined and took a table for 2, we ordered our cooked breakfast sausage bacon and egg, and waited we had our coffee and toast the rest of our party arrived after 930 and other guests came in after us also, we noticed that everyone who arrived after us had their breakfast served before us, while my husband and i were discussing the length of time our breakfast was taking, the restaurant manager was clearing a table right next to us, she never acknowledge our conversation, we called a waiter over and 40 mins after we arrived we got a cold rasher of bacon, a lukewarm sausage and a rubber egg. All we heard from one paticular waiter during breakfast was apologies to other diners about other issues. Scotlands hotel, full of heart and soul, i couldn't find any.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us, my apologies your stay with us was not as good as it should have been and I'm sure I had a talk with you at reception about all these points but again I do apologise that this marred your stay with us, thank you again for all your comments feedback in any form is always very helpful, thanks again for your review