“Great food shame about the room”

Scotland's Hotel & Leisure Club
Ranked #16 of 17 Hotels in Pitlochry
Reviewed 15 July 2014

Good points, excellent food . Had the "taster menu" which is six courses , all quite small portions and I was hungry an hour or so later but never the less delicious and i do have a large appitite.Nice. Pool area with sauna and steam room. Comfortable bar areas with warm atmosphere and friendly staff. Great breakfast all top quality food.

Bad point , the room. Very tired and dated. Blistering wallpaper , poor paint job , large bathroom but ancient Lino on floor gave feel of an old public baths. Overall room was more akin to a hostel than a hotel.
However room was clean and would probably return because good points compensate. Was also good value £60 pp dbb

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,680)

Reviewed 15 July 2014

I stayed here for my Stag weekend, with 6 friends we where in family suits and they where quite cramped. and the room I was staying in had Damp water stains on the walls, The windows only opened Half an inch and it was 27 degrees outside so when we came back from playing golf it was like walking in to a oven. The Bar seemed over priced and only had a limited selection of beers. But the pub up the road was great!! The best bit about this hotel is the swimming pool and steam room we spent quite a lot of time in there. Over all it was not the worst place I have stayed in but was just too over priced for what you where getting

Room Tip: All of the rooms are quite so any would do.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 15 July 2014

Where to start! This was the second time we've visited and have visited other Crerar hotels. Very small bedroom, bed against the wall, no bedside cabinet - but the shower was good. Stayed on a DB&B deal (dinner on first night only thank goodness). Seemed to become invisible to staff as soon as we entered the dining room whether for dinner or breakfast. Chef was incapable of making a poached egg which wasn't hard in the middle and staff had to be reminded several times over that we were still waiting on our breakfast. I did have high hopes for the second morning, but to no avail. Once again we waited about 20 minutes for breakfast to arrive and once again my poached egg was hard. Eventually settled for bacon on toast - not acceptable. Staff were very apologetic about the slow service from the kitchen. We won't be back!

Room Tip: The separate house had nice rooms, not sure about the main building.
Reviewed 14 July 2014

Nice clean wee rooms, despite booking a double room, we got a twin. No hassle there but it was roasting through the night and outside was very noisy with people heading home from the pub. The decor could do with a bit of updating and there's a horrible musty smell that meets you at quite a lot of corners of the hotel.

The meal at night is a 6 course taster type menu which wasn't clear how it operated. The first course, smoked duck was disgusting and the following bruschetta was terrible. Things picked up slightly with the watercress soup and the beef but overall it was a big disappointment even before the waiter spilled gravy all over the table. Was so bad we didn't even bother going down the second night, booking a restaurant instead. The supplement you have to pay at the restaurant for alternatives to the 6 courses was expensive too so that helped make the decision. With the weather being warm, naturally we had worked up a bit of a thirst. We weren't offered any water or drinks with our meal. The wine we took through was stuff we had bought from the bar in the hotel. Eventually I was able to get some water.

Breakfast was okay the first day with a selection of cold buffet stuff. You can order tea/coffee and there's a half decent cooked breakfast and other things. The second day breakfast was a complete disaster. They were so short staffed we had to queue at the door for 10 minutes before even getting to our seat. Once we told the told the person our room number and it was crossed off the list, we were ushered to a table of their choice. Tea/coffee was ordered and arrived promptly but that was where there the service stopped. A good 45 mins passed before I was able to order a couple of eggs. People were kicking about the door waiting to get in, only to find that their experience included forgotten orders, wrong orders, hairs in their food etc.

The spa was okay but nothing special.

1  Thank Madeinchelsea2013
Reviewed 11 July 2014

I liked the rooms but I didn't really like the restraint I liked the food but u had to wait around 2 hours for the whole dinner but the breakfast is superb and has a lot of choices unlike the dinner. I loved the hotel so I would go back.

Room Tip: Near the lift
1  Thank Correce J
Reviewed 10 July 2014

I booked the scotland hotel as I had been there on any other occasions,to use the spa
and have meals.
the breakfast is very good but they have changed the evening meals to a 6 course taster menu.
we did not like the first 3 courses and moved on to the main course and sweet course which were very good but the whole meal took 2 hours to serve was my 11 yr old G\daughter found boring.
the staff are all very nice but the hotel is old fashioned but the room was very clean.
I hope they go back to the old way as I like this hotel .

Room Tip: get room near lift
1  Thank Irene W
Reviewed 8 July 2014

We stayed here as a deal through hotel Connexions, as for value for money it was superb. We had a 6 course taster menu which could not be faulted. Only down side was the menu took a bit of explaining and the poor restaurant staff had to go through it again and again and again. This could have been made clearer by printing on the menu "you get this course automatically" " and you choose from here" would have saved a lot of time for the staff. The dining room is well set and has beautiful views. The bedrooms are clean and have all you need in them. The hotel itself is a bit tired but the location is perfect, 1 minute form the heart of Pitlochry. Although didn't use leisure facilities they looked adequate and pool was a good size. Breakfast was excellent, great choice of cooked dishes. Someone had said it wasn't for the disabled, well we had a wheelchair and there is a lift so wasn't a problem.
Only down side was on paying bill it was wrong and receptionist was adamant it was right, I did pay it however still felt it wasn't right as I had already paid deposit. As a customer I shouldn't have to feel awkward questioning something. As it was I overpaid approx £50. The lady before me questioned her bill and as were leaving 2 !!!! Other couples were questioning their bills, so make sure you know what you have to pay. Manager was telling us he had just started and so had restaurant supervisor. So hopefully once the bills are fixed out !!! This hotel will go onwards and upwards and I look forward to coming back

Room Tip: Rooms aren't luxurious so it's probably just your luck. Hotel is away from the busy town so...
1  Thank Elaine H