“Not worth booking any food packages”

Scotland's Hotel & Spa
Ranked #17 of 18 Hotels in Pitlochry
Reviewed 24 October 2009

We booked into the Scotlands Hotel on a dinner bed and breakfast deal for a 3 night relaxation break, which was much needed.

The hotel itself was quite nice, the spa area was good though a little small. The rooms were clean and tidy and on the whole the staff were friendly.

On our first night when we went for dinner, everything was cold and tasted like scool dinners. Breakfast the following morning was much the same, tasted as though it had been sitting under a hot plate which was not hot enough.

Our second nights food was worse though we waited 30 minutes for our drink order to be taken and a further 10 for our food order. The manager was very helpfull and gave us a free upgrade to the al a cart menu.

When the food arrived it again was cold, the duck dish my partner recieved was clearly a chicken breast, and when querried she was told that the sauce made the duck turn white? The manager again was helpfull and offered to get us something else but we declined and went elsewhere.

Breakfast next morning again was cold, and we decided not to eat in the hotel that evening.

The kitchen and dining room clearly had issues as they were unable to get the simplest of things (like sausages) served to the clients hot, and what did come out tasted mass produced or bought in frozen.

Pitlochry was nice but the food issues at the hotel ruined our trip. We have stayed at the Crerar Loch Fyne hotel which has much the same menu and setup but it was far far superier to this.

Would I go back? I doubt it

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Scotland's Hotel & Spa

Reviewed 19 October 2009

I had read reviews before I went saying that they always overbook and guess what it happened to us! The morning of the day we were due to arrive I was left a message saying there was a problem with some of the rooms and we had been relocated to another hotel! I did not believe a word of it. The only reason I had booked this hotel was for the spa facilities! I would not book this in the future and a word of warning - If you think you have booked I suggest you check before you go and take a few of the reviews on trip advisor with you. I was told that I could use the spa facilities but the whole point of using it was that we would be able to go straight from our room not to the other end of Pitlochry. However a friend of mine did stay there the same night and said the food was cold and the whole experience quite unpleasant. So at least the hotel I was sent to the Dundarach was atmospheric and although a little dated had fantastic gothic like features, good food, friendly staff and fantastic views.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 13 October 2009

Booked this hotel because we wanted to use the spa facilities - we very much looking forward to our stay. When we arrived they told us they had double booked and sent us to another hotel (without spa etc).

We had this booked 4 weeks in advance. I feel it would have only been fair to let us know before we made the long journey to Pitlochry.

Stayed: October 2009, travelled with friends
1  Thank UkTweetyPie
Reviewed 3 October 2009

Went to the hotel for a relaxing anniversary weekend. When we got there on the Friday afternoon they told us the spa treatments we had booked in for were not available. They had no record of it despite the fact we booked six weeks in advance.

Friday evenings dinner was not great at all - Overcooked and a rushed three course meal.

On the Saturday morning at 2.30am the fire alarm went off then once more about an hour later. Utterly exhausted we slept through breakfast. When we finally got up I repeatedly tried to find out what had caused the problem. Every time I asked the staff just shrugged their shoulders and said, "I don't know".

No announcements were made, no reassurances were given that the situation was under control until I finally managed to speak with the manager about 12 hours later.

Feeling incredibly anxious the entire day, coupled with our sense of being made to feel unimportant, we went back to our room on the Saturday evening after a better dinner, settled into bed and the alarm went off yet again. Completely stressed out at this point we decided to cut our losses, check out there and then and find a better hotel, which we did. This was at 10pm in the evening.

Lodged an official complaint with Crerar hotels and wasn't at all satisfied with the response I was given. We were offered a discounted rate and a free spa treatment if we wanted to come back. Given the distance travelled and having absolutely no confidence in the hotel or the staff I didn't feel that was acceptable compensation for a ruined weekend.

In response to the complaint I was told that the situation had been, "handled correctly". That about sums up their attitude towards customers if you ask me.

I replied to the offer made telling them that I was not satisfied. That was two weeks ago and I'm still awaiting a response. Indifference is the word that springs to mind.

A totally spoiled anniversary weekend. I've never reviewed a hotel in my life before but felt so strongly about the way we were treated that I had to say something here.

The girl in the spa was lovely though. Shame about everything else.

In short, avoid!

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Domessa
Reviewed 1 October 2009

Just spent a couple of days here on a golf package. Arrived on the Monday afternoon about 14.00 hrs, and rooms were not quite ready, so my wife and I spent a couple of hours browsing shops in the main street which is only yards away from the hotel.Returned just after 16.00 and were given our room, and found it to be really clean and tidy, albeit slightly smaller than expected. Bed was comfy, shower fantastic and it proved to be really quiet. Decided to go to leisure facility and found it to be really well equipped - small gym but not busy so no hindrance to work out. Pool was quite cool, but very well kept and the sauna and steam rooms were very good(max 4 persons in each).
Went to book a table for dinner at night and receptionist informed of a bus party arriving so we booked early to avoid the rush, however bus arrived just after our starter and the place went into meltdown. Waited some time or the rest of our meal as the staff were so busy with the tour guests and the food turned out to be quite mediocre - seemed to be cooked and then kept under heat until serving. My wife had to return one dish that was nowhere near hot.
Breakfast was much better, with self service cereals, juices etc and a menu for cooked breakfast.
On going to the golf there was some confusion about the booking of the tee time before we arrived, and I ended up doing this myself direct with golf club, however it stated on booking confirmation that a free golf ball and dram would be part of deal but this never materialised. When I asked at desk receptionist had no idea and I decided it was not worth pursuing.
In summary a good clean hotel which is really central in the town. Food and service lets it down slightly and I probably not go back unless I knew that had changed.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Graeme C
RobertMcPhee, Manager at Scotland's Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 3 October 2009

Thank you for your comments regarding your break with us at Scotlands hotel. We are still getting a core team put together here and training is ongoing.You say you will come back again if things change,I believe that things are changing for the better at our hotel and would hope you you would feel the same on any future visit.
Kind Regards,
Chris Day
(Hotel Manager)

Reviewed 29 September 2009

Our arrival was dealt with efficiency.pleasant staff, the room is excellent with lovely furnishings, bed very comfortable, phone was not working but on request it was fixed within the hour. The restauarant serive is by far the best we have hadin all our travels. I would su up by saying that the Manager and staff deserve the highest praise.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 28 September 2009

Have just spent a weekend in hotel to celebrate my mothers 80th birthday. 10 members of family, with a varied range of ages and disabilities. My Husband needs lots of care and the staff were so helpful with him. I phoned reception for an extention for all his medical equipment and a fan to keep him cool. This was done with no problem and within 15mins. Food was a little bit fancy, Minted potatoes on the first night, not everyones cup of tea but that was my only complaint. spent the evenings in the bar playing Dominoes and Trivial pursuit. All staff were very friendly especially Matt who was our waiter most of the time. Would surely recomend to friends. added advantage of a swim before breakfast and we must have picked the best weekend for weather, it was great.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled with family
RobertMcPhee, Hotel Manager at Scotland's Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 30 September 2009

Thank you for your kind words.Your party were certainly a breath of fresh air and you all were a pleasure to deal with especially the birthday girl who I managed to steal a kiss from.I'm glad you enjoyed your time with us and will look forward to your next visit to our hotel.The Dominoes are in storage for you!
Hope to see you all again soon.
Kind Regards,