“Bit of a dump!!”

Ranked #17 of 18 Hotels in Pitlochry
Scotland
“Bit of a dump!!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2010

No Scottish people working there. Pool not clean, steam room not working & a cold sauna what the hell? Boyfriend took me away to relax. Really enjoyed Pitlochry, good walks and nice restaurants around and about.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
PMcCurg, General Manager at Scotland's Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 8 April 2010
First and foremost I would like to apology profusely for the shortfall in our usual standards here at the Scotland's Hotel in Pitlochry.
As with all guests' comments, we do take them very seriously and on this occasion we thank you for your constructive criticisms.
In Crerar Scotland's Hotel a new management team, lead by myself, has been put in place to implement and improve the standards you would normally expect from the Crerar Hotels.
Once again please accept our apology, and we hope that you will return to the Hotel at a later date and I am sure you will see vast improvement in the hotel standards.

Peter McClurg

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (340)
Glasgow
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 April 2010

I'll cut to the chase and say first off that I wouldn't hesitate in recommending this hotel. Some of the reviews on here are scary and I cannot reconcile them with my experience.

Check in time was 3pm which I found to be a bit late as we arrived just after mid-day but there was no problem parking in the hotel grounds and just going for a wander round the town. We also made use of the free wifi in the bar/reception area while waiting for our room.

I was pleasantly surprised by the size and quality of the room. It was immaculately clean, nice decor (wish I could get a tester pot of the paint!), and had a great view of the surrounding hills. The in-room facilities were good: TV, iron, ironing board, hairdryer, tea/coffee, kettle etc. The only thing I felt was missing was a mini-bar / fridge. The hotel in general was in good repair and nicely decorated with only the stairwells and corridors looking a little tired.

At dinner on the first night it became apparent that they were having some staffing issues as we had to wait approx 1 hour before getting our starter. After that initial delay the other courses came quite quickly and the quality was good. As far as we could work out from other guests etc a new manager had been brought in to troubleshoot and the next morning the changes were obvious. Staffing levels had increased and breakfast went without a hitch. The customer facing staff were excellent and very helpful. It was a real shame that first night when they were fielding complaints for things that were truly out of their hands and lay with management.

I have to say I loved the food and the menus were interesting without being pretentious. Even my partner who is pretty fussy (sorry hun!) really enjoyed the food on the first night. Dinner the second night however was a bit of a letdown for her as there was no main course that took her fancy. It was unusual not to see a 'safe' chicken dish for people with an un-adventurous palette or who do not eat red meat (a demographic which is growing in numbers i believe).

The pool, gym, sauna etc was clean and well kept. Good opening times 7am-9pm.
The only thing that caused me to mark the hotel down was the outrageous bar prices. I don't mind paying a little extra in hotel bars but £3.45 for a pint of 'pouring lager' and around £5.25 for a glass of house wine really gave me the feeling someone was having a joke at my expense. I really think they are shooting themselves in the foot with this as guests which would have stayed for a drink were to be found 2 minutes around the corner in the Kingfisher hotel bar where the same beer was £2 a pint!

Pitlochry itself is a lovely town but you don't really need me to tell much about that. A great place for a relaxing trip, walking and taking in scenery. Can't wait to go back sometime in the summer and yes I'll be returning to Scotland's Hotel!

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
PMcCurg, General Manager at Scotland's Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 13 April 2010
Many thanks for your kind words and hope we can welcome you back in the near future
Glasgow
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 April 2010

On arriving the reception is small dark and only one girl on the desk. Very easy and pleasent check-in and given good guidance on facilities and timings to dinner and breakfast. The room was faboulas and the veiw from the bedroom (132) was breath taken especially with the snow over the past couple of days. Took a stroll to the gym and pool, sauna area very clean and an attentive worker was always on hand for any assistance. Dinner was excellent on both nights but the service was terrible on the first night probably due to staffing problems but was exceptional on the last night. The only flaw i could pick with hotel was the over priced drinks in the bar ( £5.25 for a glass of house wine and not so pleasent to taste at a costly price). Breakfast was in good supply and once again the scenery from the dinning room is outstanding in the morning, but the dinning room was very cold, due to heating problems which i believe they were working on. I did hear that the hotel has just recieved a new manager and has already made significant changes already but i would be intreasted to re-visit this hotel again in the summer to sample the more glorious weather and facilites this hotel has to offer. This hotel has an ideal position for shopping on the main street (without the noise of the traffic from the main road) and numerous walking paths as well. I do believe that if you book direct with the hotel they give you a better deal which was advertised in the room literature.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
PMcCurg, General Manger at Scotland's Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 8 April 2010
Many thanks for making the time to writing review.
We are looking forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

sunny dunny
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 March 2010

Just back from 2 night break at Pitlochry.
One or two comments to tell you don't expect the bar to be open during the afternoon/service when busy in the dining room very slow,not enough staff especially at breakfast. Good point very good value for money. Book with the hotel direct not easy breaks get a better room.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
Thank you fro your kind comment, we are looking forward to welcoming you back in the new future.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 March 2010

Our third and possibly last visit to the Scotland's Hotel in Pitlochry.
We thought we knew what to expect, tired rooms in dire need of some TLC, but decent food and service at a good price.
Well, we were wrong. Things seem to have taken a turn for the worse since last year. The dining experience left a lot to be desired. Service was at best haphazard. The recession is obviously biting with staffing and food quality cut to the bone. Leadership and organisation were sadly lacking (the first word out of the waiting staffs' mouths was invariably "sorry").
A real let down after our previous experience at the hotel. (My mother is currently there on my recommendation!! - we've spoken since, our experience wasn't isolated).
I don't blame the staff I blame the management at Crerar Hotels - get it sorted guys!

1 Thank Gee D

Kincardine, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2010

The scotland hotel has a good location that to me is the only good thing. The room is
small bed a bit lumpy r. really hot in the room no heater was on, window would not stay
open had to use a book, toirlet took many trys to flush and shower door was broken.
The stafff were ok . Told them about the shower door and toirlet never fixed for us.We booked B& B and Dinner. The dinner is a set menu the options are not great
a bit posh for me .I didnt like my food at all, my husband though it was ok.The servers
seem lost took forever to bring a coffee. The breakfast the first day was ok. That night we had dinner dinner at MCclays a 5 min walk away steak dinner just £7.95 was good.
Could not deal with anohter dinner there. Friends were staying and told us that they
ran our food and the service was slow .
The 2nd day which was sat morning hotel was real busy and we had to wait
10 min for a table . I ordered french toast which took 25 min to come , was just a slice of
bread and they wanted £4.95. they didnt charge me becasue I complained.
The spa person who does treatments was on holiday and there was no replacement for that person fo the rest of March. Did not get that at all. Didnt bother wit th the pool .There are plenty of other hotels to choose from
I Will not go back to that hotel but did like Pitlochry.

Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple

Peter McClurg

Travellers are raving about these Pitlochry hotels

scotland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2010

We arrived at the scuffy hotel to be told there was no room at the inn in fact we were told there was no room in Pitlochry. Overbooking is seems to be part of the ethos of this hotel what a welcome to Scotland. Thankfully we found a charming place up the road. The manager and I use this term very loosely promised to help us get our money back and guess what we are still waiting. So if you want to have your stay disrupted and have the added feature of being out of pocket this is the place to go.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled with friends