“Just the place for R and R !”

Atholl Palace Hotel
Ranked #8 of 18 Hotels in Pitlochry
Kincardineshire, Scotland
“Just the place for R and R !”
Reviewed 30 October 2011

Was really pleased to have booked a 2 night Spa Break here for myself and my husband to celebrate both his big 5.0 and our Wedding Anniversary. You could not ask for better surroundings or a grander building. It was so peaceful and views were stunning. The hotel sits majestically in acres of grounds further heightening the "get away from it all" feel we wanted. Check in was quick and courteous and our room was ready well before stated checkin time. We were given a Feature Room on first floor with robes/slippers supplied. It had wall mounted flatscreen tv, tea/coffee/kettle etc, hairdryer, lovely feature bed and a large bathroom. Very cosy! There are tennis courts, pitch/putt, putting green and a basement Museum which we found very interesting, free to guests and a small charge for visitors. Our package included dinner and breakfast and also afternoon tea for 1 of the days.The food was fine and service polite, we were allowed 3 courses with coffee on the table d'hote menu and you could pay extra for anything else outwith this on the menu.
The Stagshead bar was comfortable for pre dinner drinks and they also served bar meals. You can take your coffees in the extensive lounges near the dining room. At this time of year, the log fires were lit which was nice.Our Spa experience was FAB, the 2 girls were superb, we had hot lava shell massages and full facials each, then relaxed in the room provided with herbal teas etc. We used the pool, sauna, steam room and jacuzzi, the only negative was the changing room floor could have done with a mop, but the girls were always busy.
Out and about, we walked the rural route from behind the hotel to Edradour Distillery which was interesting !! Took aprox 1/2 hour but wellies would have been a good idea!! Worth it though, as it is very pretty and had guided tours and a shop. Walked from hotel to Hydro Electric Centre, Fish Ladder and Dam, also visited Heathergems Factory. Wanted tickets for Enchanted Forest but was all sold out when we were there unfortunately.
We would definately return so go and enjoy the Atholl Palace as we did !

2 Thank Jennifer30

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (417)
  • Turkish first
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 October 2011

I looked at the photos/descriptions of this hotel on the hotels own web site and it looked fantastic. I then started to read reviews and as always they are mixed so I was a little apprehensive as this night away was for my partners birthday. All I can say is I am glad that I picked this hotel. It is set in a great location very near to the town centre of Pitlochry. The actual hotel itself is set in lovely grounds with lots of nice short walks around the grounds to enjoy. On our arrival we got checked in and found our room no problem. The room was great. Very clean, nicely decorated and very spacious (we were in room 108) and there were beautiful views. The room has plenty teas/coffees etc and some complimentary chocolates and shortbread. The bed was comfortable, shower hot and everything else in the room in good working condition. The main area next to reception is full off large sofas and real fires making it a lovely place to read a book, relax or have a glass of wine.
Breakfast was top class. There was a number of options to choose from such as cereal, toast, pastries, fruit, cold meats and then the buffet hot Scottish breakfast. The staff here were very friendly and were there to make sure you had everything you needed.
After checking out we used the hotel pool/spa area. The pool was a perfect temperature, jacuzzi and sauna great heat as well. The only "room" I found far too hot was the steam room, however that may have just been me. My only disappointement in this area of the hotel was the horrendous hairdryers. These really need to be upgraded. I appreciate this may sound minor, however it took me 20 minutes to get my hair dryish and that was with 2 hairdryers. I read about the heat in a previous review and wanted to touch on this. The hotel was warm and we didnt need to have our heater on in our room so we didnt have any problems with it being too hot, this may be different if you were staying in the summertime though.
All in all I would thoroughly recommend this hotel and would it would definitely be my first choice if returning to the this area again.

Room Tip: Room 108 - located on first floor in quiet part of hotel. Not too far to walk to the breakfast area...
Scotland. UK
Reviewed 27 October 2011

Booked through a deal on Groupon to stay at the Atholl Palace. Had stayed twice before approximately 4 years ago so was really looking forward to going back.
The hotel is a lovely old Victorian building, set in some brautiful gardens. Arrival was very welcoming, with a liquer offered to us at check-in. Receptionist asked if we would like to book a table for evening dinner, but we declined as we were going into town.
The main disappointment of the stay was definitely the room. At first we couldn't even find it! There was no lift to it as it was situated literally halfway between the first and second floors. As i stayed in teh hotel before I know how beautiful the rooms are, but this felt a little like staying in staff quarters. The room size itself was ok, and the window looked out onto the front parking area of the hotel. We had a double bed, television with a good selection of channels, and a kettle for tea and coffee, but it was extermely sparsly decorated. The bathroom, which had a step up to get into, was minute, so much so that I had to keep all my toiletries in the wardrobe! I don't know if we were given this room because the hotel booking was made through a deal website, but it was so disappointing not to be in better quality surroundings. The bath was very small indeed, and the floor was prone to flooding when in the shower.
The pool, jacuzzi etc. were fantastic. We had chosen to go down just before 7pm, as we had been out walking in the town for the day, and we were pretty much the only people using the facilities, which was nice, as it wasn't busy at all. There was a wedding on in the hotel at the time, and the wedding guests were in a function suite, but it was a nice comfortable atmosphere for both the wedding party guests and hotel guests.
Breakfast was lovely - it's the one thing that I remember looking forward to during previous stays. Lovely staff, very helpful, despite being extremely busy.
I'd love to go back again but would avoid the room I had during this stay.

Room Tip: If possible, avoid rooms 94-98. They're tiny!
1 Thank Lauren1971
Reviewed 19 October 2011

was apprehensive after reading reviews on this site , but found the Atholl Palace a stunning building set in beautiful surroundings. the foyer of the hotel is a lovely place to relax with comfy sofas and log fires.swimming pool was lovely ,but a pity that the jacuzzi was cold ( was told that they were waiting on someone coming to fix it).food was delicious and served by very polite staff.a walk in the grounds is a must especially at this time of year with all the leaves changing colour . all in all a lovely place to stay with family and friends.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
edinburgh
Reviewed 18 October 2011

My family and I have just enjoyed a few days at the Atholl Palace Hotel, it was warm welcoming and very comfortable, the hotel was very busy but despite that the service was very good and it was quiet at night. There is a fabulous Spa with a warm swimming pool which my grand daughter simply loved. The log fire was a welcome site as the weather turned colder, it was also good to be able to control the heating in the bedroom and to have a heated towel rail in the bathroom.
Everything was just as expected and we will certainly return.
Margaret

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
Halesworth, Suffolk
Reviewed 14 October 2011

We have just returned from this hotel, having booked the Garden Apartment for four nights.
We arrived on a motorbike, looking absolutely wrecked having travelled 530 miles from the East Suffolk Coast. Although the main hotel where we had to book in was absolutely beautiful, the reception staff never battered an eyelid at me standing their dripping water from my wetsuit onto the floor. The apartment was not ready as we were early, so we were invited to take a seat in the lounge until it was. Having been on the bike for 8.5 hours, this we gratefully did. After an hour we were directed to our apartment and I have to say it was very pleasant. We opted for self catering as our son is a wind turbine technician and lives on the same site, so we were able to entertain him comfortably with a TV etc. The apartment was spacious and had everything you need for self catering and I mean everything! The bathroom was large along with the kitchen, so if you wanted to share the cooking, there was plenty of room to do this. We met our son, James in the bar that evening, having had a reasonable bar meal but the drinks were pricey at £6.50 for a glass of rose wine and £4.00 for a pint of lager. The rooms had their own heating so we could control our heat. The only thing that did slightly spoil our break were the midges. I got eaten alive whilst I was there and bearing in mind this is October, I hate to think what it is like during the summer. The Atholl Palace Hotel is set in fantastic grounds with Lodges spead across the 50 or so acres it is set in. I would definately go back again. On the morning we left I again went into reception with all my wet gear on and crash helmet and not a second glance of disapproval from the lovely receptionist and hoped that we would come back again. If you are going to Pitlochry, then use the Atholl Palace. A Gem!

Lowestoft, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 October 2011

Arriving at the hotel feeling very unwell from a heavy cold, the reception staff offered me a complimentery glass of Whisky Liqueur, I accepted and it was gorgeous.

I was offered a table for dinner which I declined as I was feeling very unwell. I ordered a sandwich for my room from the night porter later on. The Sanwich duly arrived along with a hot toddy cold remedy of the night porter's making, again complimentery , I drank it down and I slept like a log.

I travel a lot on business and I have to say I have never felt more warmly welcomed. I am adding this hotel to our company's list of approved hotels. I will be back. Thank you! RP McROBERTS

Room Tip: Not sure about other rooms but I was on third floor with a wedding on downstairs and I never heard a...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled on business