“A shock when I opened the bin!”

Atholl Palace Hotel
Ranked #8 of 18 Hotels in Pitlochry
UK
“A shock when I opened the bin!”
Reviewed 27 August 2012

I have just got home and am still fuming!!
The hotel is in a lovely location, well kept grounds. Reception staff did not greet the guest, very cold and unhelpful check in.
The room was perfectly adequate. Bed comfortable, everything worked including the shower. I heard some complaints about them not working well in some rooms but mine did. HOWEVER...when I opened the bathroom bin to put soap wrapper in it I found to my disgust a pile of the previous occupants sanitary towels.
When I reported this to reception the actual words spoken by the young lady were
" I will mention it to housekeeping"
No apology at all which I was amazed with considering the clientele frequenting this hotel.
The bar staff also do not engage with customers at all, no smiles or words of welcome not even a thank you. When I went to pay cash for a meal in the bar the impression I was given was that I was inconveniencing the man as he wanted it charged to my room.
When I checked out the staff were the same I had reported to "bin matter " to and they did not ask if we had a nice stay or any comment at all and cartainly no reduction on the bill following our disgusting find.
I will not be back which is a shame because its a great part of the country.

Room Tip: Keep to low level rooms if you want a working shower.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank travelleringscot

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (424)
  • Turkish first
west lothian
Reviewed 26 August 2012

First impressions were very good. The hotel has lovely gardens and its setting is very grand.
The room was fine and kept spotless by housekeeping but was far too warm making it very uncomfortable for sleeping ,even with the window open.I asked next morning if I could have a fan and was given a small one which I kept at the side of the bed.
A couple of days we had heavy rain showers and water poured in through the ceiling near the window. I informed reception of this but they did not seem too concerned.
Breakfast was in a lovely room overlooking the gardens.I felt the quality of food on offer was not of a high standard and I was surprised to see guests queuing to make their own toast.
Hate to be so negative but not what I expected from a hotel of this rating.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
Guildford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 August 2012

The outside of this hotel is stunning, and the open areas with dozens of sofas etc are lovely. The tennis courts and pitch and putt are fab. But I was disappointed that my 12 year old was not allowed in the spa parts eg the jacuzzi. I was told by a very rude lady on the phone that this was for health and safety reasons. When I pointed out that we are members of a health club that allows her to use the same facilities, and that she can use these elsewhere, and said I wouldn't have booked if I'd realised, I was met with a stoney silence. Not good at all. The room was OK, but could do with a bit of paint and better lighting. I guess it is unfortunate that the outside sets up expectations that the staff and the inside just didn't live up to.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 25 August 2012 via mobile

My wife and I have been coming to The Palace for 6 years now, were married here in 2007 and come up at least twice a year.

Each time we come up the staff are consistently courteous and attentive. The rooms are always in excellent condition and the food a real treat. The breakfast is the ideal start to the day particularly if embarking on a Distillery tour or two :)
I think it's testament to the consistency that we come back twice a year, every year. We may have been lucky and not experienced the kind of issues other guests have experienced but after 6 years and upto 15 visits so far I think if something was likely to happen it would have happened by now.

Would always recommend, bring my family and friends every Christmas and its always as magical as its always been.

Absolutely love it!

• Stayed August 2012
Aberdeen
Reviewed 22 August 2012

We spent the weekend at Atholl Palace. After recent reviews, i was a bit apprehensive but overall, the hotel is lovely. Yes it does need a bit of TLC but the location and building is really stunning. ( it is a victorian hotel ). We had food on two nights in the restaraunt and on both occasions the food was really good.
The hotel seems a bit understaffed but the staff are a credit to the management as they will try to help as much as possible. The stags head lounge could really do with more staff as you can wait a while for a drink.
The museum on the basement was very interesting.

Room Tip: Upgrade to a suite as its more roomy.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
Edinburgh
Reviewed 21 August 2012

With recent reviews, I was bit concerned after booking this hotel for our 30th wedding anniversary, I needn't have worried, the stay exceeded expectations. Beautiful hotel, lovely grounds and easy walking distance to the town centre for livelier entertainment at night if required. Can not fault the breakfast and evening meals which we had booked for two nights and a big thankyou to the staff who were extremely friendy and welcoming including the hotel manager Fion who took time out to personally greet us.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
Tweed Heads, Australia
Reviewed 20 August 2012

We stayed here for 4 nights From the 15th to the 18th Aug. We had a better room than the standard room and it was ok. We had friends staying in the standard room and was nothing like our, in saying that ours wasn't that great, but we were not here to spend time in our room. The bathroom is like something from the sixties , with very low water pressure . The bed springs squeak the floor boards squeak ,the room had no air con or fan and the nights were quite warm while we there.They also told us not to open the windows at night because of the Midgees.The restaurant breakfast was good but dinners very average and expensive.But in saying all that we were here for the sheer beauty and location of the area. The exterior grounds was amazing as well and so was the exterior of the Palace. They could also use a interior decorator.

Room Tip: Don't go for the basic room
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends