“Simply stunning”

Ranked #8 of 18 Hotels in Pitlochry
Aberdeen, Scotland, United Kingdom
“Simply stunning”
Reviewed 21 December 2012

When stayed in the hotel during snow and the scenery was stunning. Eating breakfast looking over snow covered mountains was a great way to start the day. The rooms are large and have the kind of charm expected in this lovely hotel. The staff were brilliant and the food was first class. Roaring log fires greeted you in the many lounge areas, which was most welcome. There are very good walks around the grounds and Pitlochry is only ten minutes walk away.
We will definitely be back during the new year and recommend this hotel to all ages.
We loved our stay and thank the wonderful staff for looking after so well.

Room Tip: We had a room overlooking the Tummel valley and the view was fantastic.
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Dougie L

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (430)
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
Oban, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 December 2012

great location & wonderful views; splendid features throughout the hotel; fantastic spa and pool, plenty of room/sofas to sit and relax, some by fireplaces; very quiet in December which was great for me and my partner; staff very helpful and polite
The major thing that was disappointing was the food, though there was a good fresh selection for breakfast. I would go back to stay but would eat out for dinner.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled on business
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 December 2012

What a fabulous party our group had. We had 3 suits in the Manor House, fabulous accommodation.
We had afternoon tea then went to the spa/swimming pool.
Christmas party at night. Great food, music and everything ran smoothly.
So well organised with a fabulous setting.
Loved it!
Many thanks to everyone at the hotel for making it so special.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank Carolyn R
Angus
Reviewed 3 December 2012

My wife Diane and I were back at the Atholl palace hotel for another break having been at the hotel last in 2010 and we had a late Spring break then so wanted to try out the late Autumn one in November that had a special offers on during the month . We found the hotel upgraded from the previous visit as it was needing an upgrade then . The staff in the office were again very helpful and friendly and some of them remembered us from our previous visits to the hotel and mentioned that it was nice seeing us back at the hotel once again, The staff in general were helpful and the restaurant too were excellent and Barry, the Restaurant manager was ideal for the job in getting the staff at the various locations at the right time during the meals that he was incharge . We were sorry not to see James in his usual position as Restaurant manager but he was on holiday . The staff generally were excellent and they gave everyone the excellent service that is expected from staff and I recall that someone asked for poached eggs for breakfast instead of fried eggs and they got them with no bother so the staff provided the needs of the customers when people asked for a variation in a meal which is great.

The hotel and swimming pool and facilities were very clean and ideal during our 2 nights stay for D B & B from Monday 12th November 2012 and we would recommend this hotel to anyone

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Letham45
Aberdeenshire
Reviewed 2 December 2012

Not sure why I've never reviewed this before - for nearly 10 years I organised an annual dinner dance here, and the last 2 years have had the pleasure of attending but not having to work!!

It's a beautiful hotel with fantastic views and an amazing variety of wildlife in the grounds. It must be a nightmare to keep, and each year I noticed changes for the better - it's good to see the Irish consortium of 3 (?) who own the hotel (and have recently bought the Fishers in the town) are happy to spend money on it. as has been said the rooms are under a permanemt cycle of decoration ,and from experience I know vary greatly - it's luck of draw almost what room you get unless you specifically ask (and pay for) a turret for example. This time we stayed in 1 of the 8 rooms in the newly refurbished manor house, which is accessible from the hotel via outside steps or you can drive on 2 private roads. Our room was lovely - immediate reaction was Wow at the size of the room, the tasteful furniture and the new bathroom. After settling tho I did begin to think it a little 'sterile' - there's none of the art in the main hotel, nor any what my husband calls 'clutter' (vases, ornaments etc). I did comment on this - will be interesting to see if it's picked up on. The hotel do listen to comments - a couple of years back we struggled with hot water - this was apparently traced to a sticking ballcock, which is now attached to an alarm in reception which if it goes off someone goes and hits it - seems fair to me!

I said at the start management was the key - Dougal the GM has been there since Day 1 I think and is often seen all over the place, just 'being present'. The restaurant manager runs a tight ship and has been there as long as I've been going, the former conference organiser is now spa manager and the current conference organiser is so good holding a party there is easy!!

Food is a matter of taste - sometimes I've been less than impressed other times ecstatic - I remember some truly delightful lamb 2 years ago!! Breakfast is always good I think and was one area I always had good feedback on when I ran the event. It's buffet, continually replenished even up to closing time, has a good variety and choice - yes the orange juice may not be very chilled but I can live with that - I'm more concerned with th efact any of the waiting staff will stop by as they pass and clear your used crockery and take orders for more tea or butter, rather than have allocated tables, than in the temperature of the juice - but that's just me!!

I love the Arran aromatics toiletries and Duncans shortbread, and the fact I don't just have 2 tea bags and 2 sachets of coffee, and the towels are big enuf for me too!!

They do have a lot of weddings - thats how they make their money!! - but it's poured back into the hotel with ongoing improvements and I've yet to find a hotel where a wedding party doesn't cause some 'inconvenience' to other guests.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank broomsticklady2
Reviewed 2 December 2012

Everything was very good about our stay, rooms, food, staff, exept for the fact they put us in room 115 which was situated above the function room, which at the time was holding a wedding party, so loud music till 12 midnight not good as was expecting a quiet romantic night with my lovely wife. So complained and give them there due they did offer another room. And a discount. Next time they need to inform guests about private functions and remembering to move guests from room 115 if not part of the private function.

• Stayed December 2012
2 Thank Pmungall
Perth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 November 2012

Stayed here a few years ago, it was great; full of old world charm, you easily could imagine what this place was like at the turn of the century. This time, much the same. A friendly reception on arrival, with a nice complementary liquor, a couple of fires (one real the other gas) in the main lobby, it was nice just to sit to soak in the ambiance .... oh this was a Sunday, so nice and quiet. Well went up to the room, how many lifts do you know that are carpeted? Our room was small, especially when we looked at the plan on the wall for surrounding ones, but it's clean, with nice views, warm and only in need of a little TLC, but that's the charm here. The room refreshments were very well stocked, linen fresh and my girlfriend loved the bed, so comfortable she said.

We were here only for one night so chose to eat in. A couple of drinks in the Stagshead bar first, again very old world with a log fire, but unfortunately didn't give out too much heat and after dinner it had virtually gone out. Back to dinner though, we had the 3 course option, starters excellent as were the mains, served with appropriate speed and rest in between courses. Desserts were just as nice, I'm not a big dessert person so easily pleased. There was a pleasant interlude for all the dinner guests, early on at least, as the owner was in town and took time to circulate and have a nice anecdotal chat to all as he went round tables.

The sleep was excellent, warm rooms, no undue noise .... many floor boards creak though; like an old house should! In the morning breakfast ..... great! All self service save for the coffee & tea, a large selection of cooked food, nicely presented and looked after/stocked. Orange juice that was not chilled to an inch of loosing real taste, and a selection of cereals (I couldn't manage those, not after the fry up .... yum)

Finally was time to go, check out was quick and painless ... and the staff continued to be pitching the pleasantness appropriately, some places are just to 'thank you have a nice day'!

So would I go back again, yes no doubt, despite the charmingly dated interior; which for me is a draw. Its has always been quiet and very roomy here this when coupled with the setting and beautiful exterior for me makes it a must. Thanks :-)

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple