“Weekend spa break”

Ranked #8 of 18 Hotels in Pitlochry
Newcastle, United Kingdom
“Weekend spa break”
Reviewed 6 November 2013

Had a very nice stay for a long weekend. Welcoming friendly staff throughout the hotel and a comfortable room. Had a very nice huge afternoon tea which took over an hour to eat! Breakfast was all you could eat and evening meals were also very nice. Spa treatments were very relaxing and had a lovely afternoon relaxing round the pool. The hotel grounds are lovely to wander round especially out the back of the hotel into the woodland.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
DSpaven, General Manager at Atholl Palace Hotel, responded to this review, 15 November 2013
Thank you for your review. I am delighted to hear you had an enjoyable and relaxing stay!
We look forward to seeing you again soon!
Dougal Spaven

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (425)
  • Turkish first
Ireland
Reviewed 6 November 2013

It took ages to pick a hotel in Perthshire! and the mixed reviews for Atholl did make me wary. We were travelling, 2 adults and 2 children (10 & 11) and we were on a a few days break to Scotland and wanted to see some of the Highlands. The scenery is stunning and so picturesque. The hotel itself did not disappoint me, I knew it wasn't a shiny modern hotel and warned the family it would be quaint and characterful so they were well prepared. We were in a family room - great size, but they could do with putting more toiletries in a room for 4! we were on the top floor which added to the ambience and view!
We ate that night in the restaurant, the food was as advertised, not haute cuisine but very acceptable and with great service and great value. Breakfast again was superb and set us up for the day, we enjoyed a walk on the grounds before leaving and would not hesitate to recommend this hotel - the staff at every service point were very helpful.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank LisaJIreland
Thank you very much for taking the time to post your kind review. I will pass your comments onto the rest of the team, and I very much hope to welcome you and your family back to the Atholl Palace Hotel again soon.
Woolaston Lydney
Reviewed 5 November 2013

The Atholl Palace is impressive. It is early Victorian and was built on a grand scale. The public spaces are enormous, but comfortably furnished and of a good decorative standard. Some rooms are small, OK for short breaks, but storage could be an issue if on a longer stay, bear it in mind when booking. The restaurant has good views to the south and is a pleasant place to eat, the food is good without being memorable. The facilities are good with a pool (now indoors unlike 20 years ago when we first stayed), treatment rooms and a games room, outside, there is putting, pitch and putt, tennis courts plus extensive, well maintained grounds.
The opportunities to stay in such a grand hotel for everyday money do not present themselves very often, but that is exactly what you get with the Atholl Palace. There are more luxurious hotels with better food but you pay accordingly

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you very much for such a lovely review. We are delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay, and I will pass your comments onto the rest of the team. I hope to welcome you back to the Atholl Palace Hotel again soon.
Reviewed 4 November 2013 via mobile

After 15 years away I went back with my husband to show him where I use to work. I was so looking forward to it but on arrival it was clear the charm had gone from this once beautiful place. We had to change rooms 3 times due to stained laundry and rotten food left in drawers. Then the room we stayed in was not cleaned properly with hairs in the bath and bins not emptied. It seems they focus more on weddings which is fine but if your not part of the wedding party be prepared to listen to loud music into the late hours. Barely any vegetarian food on offer well the chef has been there years maybe book him on a vege course. It used to be full of charm and grace now pound land has more charm

3 Thank Doctorwords
Thank you for your review. I have asked my Sales Manager Jenny Dow to contact you separately to discuss this matter, and I hope you can accept my sincere apologies.
Clapham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 November 2013

We stayed for 2 nights Dinner, bed & breakfast in October as part of a very reasonably priced deal. We had a very spacious corner room overlooking the river. The staff were very efficient and helpful and the food was quite acceptable, and certainly plentiful.
I would certainly return for another short break.

Room Tip: It is worth paying a small premium for a corner room
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your review. I am delighted you enjoyed your stay, and very much look forward to welcoming you back to the Atholl Palace Hotel again soon.
Edinburgh, Scotland
Reviewed 3 November 2013 via mobile

The driveway was spectacular, the architectural splendour of this Victorian Hotel on its elevated position really is stunning. However, it goes downhill from here. The hotel rests on the laurels, long ago earned during another era and desperately needs to bring its levels of service, decor, food and ambience into the 21st Century.
There was no one to greet me with my armfuls of luggage at the front door, which for a four star hotel, I found to be very poor.
No one helped with my luggage to my room either. My husband received a complimentary drink on arrival, I did not (we arrived separately).
Our room was supposed to be a superior double, but there was no mineral water, no tissues, no Earl Grey tea (only Tetley tea bags) and the curtains were frayed. The bathroom furniture was well passed its best, being grubby and tarnished. Again, not what you expect from one of their most expensive rooms.
Our dinner was ok, a bit uninspiring. The service was generally good during dinner and breakfast, although my waiter on the first morning didn't know what Early Grey tea was and on the second morning I had to ask for porridge as there was no list of what might have been available beyond the buffet, which offered nothing you can't get at a Premier Inn.
The pool was pleasant as was the hot tub and plunge pool, but the sauna was tiny and needed upgrading as did the steam room. The ladies changing room was dirty with inadequate showers - only two and divided by a curtain.
My husband was told he couldn't order a double whisky at the bar, which was freezing cold and very rough and ready.
On Sunday morning, there was a huge queue at reception with only one person checking all the guests out.
Throughout our weekend, there seemed to be a lack of strong leadership, a lack of attention to detail and lack of finesse about the whole place. If you'd got a cheap deal on Groupon, you'd be happy, but we paid full price and it was extremely poor value for money.
We would not go back and would not recommend it.

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to post your review. I was disappointed to read you did not have a satisfactory stay. If you would like to contact the Sales Manager Jenny Dow, please do so on jenny@athollpalace.com as she would be delighted to discuss this with you in more detail.
I do hope you will visit us at the Atholl Palace Hotel again in the future.
With kind regards
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 November 2013

Dirty and wet floors in changing room, mirror so tarnished you couldn't see your reflection, rust in steam room and general feeling of being run down. Save your money and go somewhere else if you want a swim. I shudder to think what the treatment rooms look like...you have been warned. we expected so much more.

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you very much for your review on our spa - we are aware of some of these issues and are planning a revamp in 2014, so thank you for bringing these to our attention. Our treatment rooms are beautiful and relaxing so you must try them when you come back.
We hope you will come back in the future and see us again.