“Excellent Christmas”

Atholl Palace Hotel
Ranked #8 of 18 Hotels in Pitlochry
Reviewed 26 December 2013 via mobile

I have been going to this hotel for about 20 years and it has always been excellent. The team there under Dougal guidance has always been excellent and especially James the 2nd in command has become a family friend. Since been purchased about 11 years ago they have invested a large amount of money including the indoor heated pool etc. This hotel lives up to its name and is situated in perfect surroundings and in a fantastic village that always makes you feel very welcomed.
Hogmanay is really the best night in the grand hall with live group and pipes etc ANC a feast for a King.
I love this hotel and so do my entire family and hope to be able to come many many more times in the future.
Fantastic Atholl Palace from my 4 year old son.

Stayed: December 2013
3  Thank Mapledown
DSpaven, General Manager at Atholl Palace Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 January 2014

Thank you ever so much for your glowing review! I'm delighted you keep coming back to visit us, and will pass your wonderful comments onto James and the rest of the team.
Hope to see you again very soon!
Best wishes

Reviewed 21 December 2013

Just returned after our xmas party weekend.Once again another fantastic weekend.Many thanks to Gillian and staff for the work they put in to make it a great weekend.The usual high standard was on offer.Loved the buffett breakfast

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank pumphy
DSpaven, General Manager at Atholl Palace Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 December 2013

Thank you ever so much for posting your lovely review. I will personally pass on your comments to Gillian and the rest of the team - they are sure to brighten up their day!
Delighted you enjoyed your Party night - look forward to welcoming you back again soon!
With best regards

Reviewed 19 December 2013

I spend my Honeymoon in the Athol Palace Hotel 38 years ago !!went back for some nostalgia !!not disappointed but can do with improvement , we asked for "the old room" but were given a small room facing the roof of the function suite !! not a good offer the hotel did not even acknowledge the reason for our visit even that I confirmed the reason . the food was good the Dinning room management can do with some improvement !! the front disk staff need to learn how to be helpful and not be dismissive when asked for information about the activities
The loge fire place in the lounge and bar give a wonderful feeling of welcome the young man in the bar is a STAR he get my vote for hospitality and service

Room Tip: Ask for either a front or a back room
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Maher M

Thank you for your review. I am sorry you feel let down, especially since you were visiting for a special occasion and a walk down memory lane! Given the fact you advised us of the reason of your stay and it was not acknowledged, I can only apologise as this is clearly an oversight on our part. I am delighted you enjoyed the food, and will pass your kind comments onto the bar staff.
I hope you will visit us again.

Reviewed 15 December 2013

I stayed at this hotel with my husband and in-laws for a special occasion at the end of November. This was paid for by my in-laws and we were booked into two superior doubles. The drive up is impressive the car park needs re-surfacing potholes everywhere. I wasn't aware you normally got a welcome drink when you arrived until I read some of these reviews not something we got, although my card did get swiped even though I made it clear we weren't paying for the weekend.

The rooms were not clean, both were grubby and needed new fixtures and fittings. Towels were left in the hallway and toiletries were not replaced. The snooker room has a hole in the wall filled with rubbish and whilst we were there three members of staff walked through and not one of them cleared away the empty glasses that had been left by someone previous to us.

The breakfast service on the Saturday was good however we were in early, the Sunday morning we went later and proceeded to wait 30 minutes for poached eggs with no apology. The food isn't bad but this is a four star hotel so it should be good not average. The staff are over-worked, under paid (I know this as the kitchen staff were stood outside complaining about their wages) and taking the blame constantly for things they can't fix. This hotel needs a serious upgrade it does not deserve the four stars it currently has nor the price tag it comes with. A real disappointment.

Pick somewhere else unless you are getting a bargain and even then I would think twice.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank suziqueue

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. I am very sorry that you were unsatisfied with your stay. We serve out welcome drinks on reception from 2pm so I am sorry you did not receive this. A swipe of your card is purely a pre-authorisation and no monies are taken, this is standard hotel practice. We do appreciate your feedback regarding the rooms and the breakfast service, and all your comments have been passed to the directors.

Reviewed 15 December 2013

25 years ago my wife and I spent our honeymoon at the Atholl Palace Hotel in Pitlochry, which now has a 4 Star rating, and we returned this year with members of our family to celebrate our 25th Wedding Anniversary.
We had booked 2 superior four poster rooms as viewed in their brochure and on their website.

We were utterly disgusted at the poor standards of the room.

Room 211.
The bed had the four posts but minus the drapes, as per advertised on their website!
My daughter-in-law had to clean the bathroom taps, and the rusty chrome corner vanity unit.
There were no bath-robes, and on the second night there were no toiletries.

Room 111
The carpet had not been hovered, as my wife found some money on the floor.
The bathroom was the same condition as Room 211.
Bathroom taps and other chrome fittings, were dirty ie old soap and toothpaste.
The coverlet at the bottom of the bed was covered in stains, either human body fluid, or other such things. When we complained, all that the cleaning staff did was to turn it over. My wife complained and the coverlet was removed, and not replaced.

On our departure my wife made official complaints to the Deputy Manager, who was also the Head Housekeeper.
My wife also telephoned the General Manager Mr D. Spaven, and made an official complaint.
I have received an apology and part refund, which was of very little compensation to redress the matter.

It is most unfortunate that the 4 Star Rating was utterly, misleading, and not a guarantee that the accommodation is of a high standard.

Room Tip: Read all reviews before deciding to stay
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
10  Thank NanandTed

We appreciate you posting your review, however as the has been communication between yourselves and our managing director we do not feel that further dialogue is necessary.
Kind regards

Reviewed 13 December 2013

I stayed at this hotel with friends for the second time. We were given a welcome dram which was very acceptable as we checked in at reception . We relaxed on the sofas in the big entrance hall with our dram beside the blazing fire before we went up to our spotlessly clean rooms. We were on a package deal which we thought was an absolute bargain. It consisted of a theatre ticket to see the Christmas musical at the Pitlochry Theatre, a bottle of wine each, three course pre-theatre dinner with coffee, bed and full Scottish breakfast and also transport to and from the theatre all for £90 inclusive. The staff were very friendly and helpful and the dinner we ate was excellent albeit too big portions for our appetite which I didn't consider a fault as we had gorged ourselves at the Highland Chocolatier shop prior to checking in at the hotel. We look forward to a visit next year with the purpose of seeing the Pitlochry Theatre Christmas show. Thank you staff for a very enjoyable stay.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Marguerita M
DSpaven, General Manager at Atholl Palace Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 December 2013

Thank you ever so much for posting your kind review. I am delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay, and we very much look forward to welcoming you back to the Atholl Palace Hotel again soon.

Reviewed 12 December 2013

My wife Diane and I revisited the Hotel on a 2nights stay from Monday 18th November 2013 and we went to our room and realised that the tv did not work or should I say other than one channel and I phoned down to the reception desk and a staff member came up and reset the channels and it worked showing the normal channels . The restaurant meals were ideal and their staff each time was very friendly and helpful as usual . The toiletries in the room were not replaced on the second day as we stayed for Dinner Bed & Breakfast for two nights. When we arrived at the Hotel the receptionist at the desk took our card and swiped it through their machine and I asked her why she required it and she said that its the procedures there but thats the first time that weve had to give in our bank card to have it scanned and we have been customers of this hotel for around 10 times over the years . The staff member told us that there was no charge but the till receipt showed £1 charged . We were not able to use the jaccuzzi area on our first day and a bit as the painter was refurbishing that area but the pool was open for use being the quite season in the hotel to get on with some work in maintenance etc . My wife has arthritis in her hips and she found getting into the bath to shower was hard due to the position of the bath in that room so we intend to ask for a walk in shower next time we visit. We were sorry not to see the usual staff but we heard that they were taking a well earned break with hotel being quieter prior to the Xmas /New Year season . We did not see any Red SQUIRRELS in the grounds this time

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. I am sorry to hear you had some issues with the television, but glad to hear it was resolved promptly, and I am sorry your toiletries were not replenished on day 2. We have recently appointed a new Front Office Manager who has put the procedure in place to take a swipe of the payment card on check in, but this is just a
pre-authorisation, and no payment is actually taken.
I hope to welcome you back to the Atholl Palace Hotel again soon, please do ask for a walk in shower and we would be delighted to fulfill this request for you.
With best regards