“Over priced”

Ranked #8 of 18 Hotels in Pitlochry
Inverurie, United Kingdom
“Over priced”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2014

Stayed here over the weekend, weather was lovely. Grounds fantastic, entry to hotel very nice. Rooms dated our shower had no pressure. The chandalier was hanging out of the ceiling and the kettle plug was falling apart.
Had dinner the first evening but was not impressed food was ok but nothing brilliant. Breakfast was good. Best thing for us were the staff they were first class.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank juliatayl0r
APManagement, General Manager at Atholl Palace Hotel, responded to this review, 26 April 2014
Thanks for your comments. Our pool is closed as point out but this closure was not planned and we did immediately post the same on our website. This is something very few hotels would do. Although the Stagshead bar was closed ( opening today following an impressive refurbishment) I am sorry you did not find that alternative lounge bar suitable.

The Atholl Palace hotel is a very popular wedding venue and no different from any other quality establishment set in fantastic grounds and I regret that you found the presence of a wedding party encroaching on your enjoyment .

Kind Regards

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (408)
  • Turkish first
Scarborough, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2014

Pool area and bar closed not advised until we arrived, wedding party in the hotel took over the hole place, general manager had arranged to meet us at evening dinner but didn't turn up, checked out after 1 night very dissatisfied
Steve

• Stayed March 2014
4 Thank Gasman323
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2014 via mobile

I stayed here during a wedding weekend and have to say the grounds were lovely. I was highly disappointed with the water supply to the shower and television not working. The breakfast was nice however was far to busy and service was non existent. I won't be staying here again and won't be recommending it to anyone.

• Stayed March 2014
3 Thank Moko3457
Cornwall, England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2014

It would be a mistake to stay at this magnificent old hotel that commands the scenery above Pitlochry and expect more than what it has to offer. This includes a relaxed and laid back atmosphere, a rich history, indoor spa area with the best complex of pools I've enjoyed in a hotel and beautiful grounds with a pleasant 9 hole golf course. If there were any inadequacy I would say it was in the guests, who no longer arrive in chauffeur driven splendour! We enjoyed the experience, thank you.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Hello Heather

I am delighted you had a great visit to our hotel. The Atholl Palace is as you correctly point out full of charm , history and majesty. I do look forward to welcoming you back soon

UK
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2014

I can't comment too much on the hotel itself except first impressions - beautiful big building from the outside which could be amazing with some serious investment and updating. We only really saw the large lobby area and the way down to the spa so I don't know what the rooms are like. We came across some fairly interesting carpets on our travels. That said, once you get into the spa it feels less dated. The pool was out of action at that particular time but my sister and I had full swedish massages. The individual treatment rooms are good and the girls who did our massages seemed nice. I have only really ever had sports massages so I haven't got much to compare it to, but it was relaxing and my sister liked it. There is a relaxation room with tea facilities, comfy beds and magazines which we also enjoyed afterwards. The experience was better than we expected given the terrible football-design carpets we saw elsewhere in the hotel!!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
I have passed your great comments on to our spa team and they were so glad you enjoyed the experience. The Spa is indeed a great addition to our operation and Debbie does take great pride in her work.

The hotel is undergoing continuous improvements starting with the bedroom stock. Your comment regarding the carpet in the leisure area did bring a smile to my face as this is and area I have already identified for change.

I HOPE TO WELCOME YOU BACK SOON
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2014

If you are expecting a modern international hotel then you will be disappointed. The Atholl Palace Hotel is one of those grand British provincial hotels, 150 years old, with all that that entails. The floors creak, the doors have keys (yes keys - not plastic swipe cards that only work when they feel like it), the public rooms are grand if a little faded, the food is tasty and filling (no little atolls of food in oceans of coulis), the service is efficient and friendly without attempting to be your BFF and, above all, the hotel is located amidst spectacular gardens on a hill overlooking Pitlochry.

OK, not everything works first time, the lift can have a mind of its own, there are renovations going on all the time (of course there are, the hotel wasn't built yesterday), there is a very strange museum in the basement, but worth a look nonetheless and staffing can be pushed when a function is on.

The standard rooms are a bit on the small side, especially if you are travelling with more than just a couple of overnight bags to stow. Larger superior rooms are worth investigating if your budget stretches to the increased cost.

A stay at the Atholl Palace Hotel is an experience, something to be savoured for the pluses and the minuses. We enjoyed the experience so much that we extended our stay and rearranged our other travel plans around that. I heartily recommend this hotel to other travellers over the the age of 30. While it has facilities for younger guests, I think that they may not be quite ready for "the experience".

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
I feel this must be one of the best reviews I have ever had the pleasure of reading on line. You have really captured the living essence of my hotel in your words and I am extremely grateful for that.

Thank you so very much and I do hope to be able to welcome you back in person on a future visit.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2014

Stayed for two days as a special treat for family. The hotel is a lovely large hotel, the bedroom was room if a bit too hot. I cannot fault the staff in the hotel and the spa they were great everybody was helpful friendly. We had fabulous treatments in the Spa where you could relax as long as you liked and were not pushed out the door. From the cleaners to the general manager all were willing to have some banter and make you feel very welcome.

We had dinner bed and breakfast and the food was good although the cakes in the afternoon tea were a bid disappointing.

I would not hesitate to recommend this hotel and definitely would go back

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
APManagement, General Manager at Atholl Palace Hotel, responded to this review, 14 April 2014
Thank you for writing such a lovely review and I am delighted you enjoyed your visit to the Palace and hope to welcome you back soon.

Kieran