“This is no Palace!”

Ranked #8 of 18 Hotels in Pitlochry
Dingwall, United Kingdom
“This is no Palace!”
Reviewed 18 May 2014

The stay started poorly with an Email a couple of days before our stay stating the spa would be closed ( no mention of this when booking weeks earlier) even though it had been closed for months!When we arrived it was open but did not have swim ware with us.
Room was small but clean,bed very small for a double but truly uncomfortable!
Only one bath towel for two but they may have thought this would be sufficient due to the pathetic shower pressure which barely made you wet!
Breakfast was good and location and gardens lovely but would not recommend this hotel.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Robsti
Kieran A, General Manager at Atholl Palace Hotel, responded to this review, 26 May 2014
Thank you for taking the time and trouble to share your recent experience. The pool was closed for urgent planned repairs and as a matter of courtesy we did try to inform as many bookings as possible rather than waiting for guests to arrive disappointed. Happily as you stated , the pool is now up an running again.

I am so sorry that there was only one towel in the room , a genuine oversight for which I can apologise. I am unaware if this was reported to reception as an other towel or towels would have gladly been provided.

I am pleased you found our new breakfast offering to be of a high standard.

Kind Regards

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (418)
  • Turkish first
Perth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 May 2014

Staff were incredibly friendly and helpful, and went out of their way to assist us with our event. The food was good with special diets catered for - the Chef came to discuss my dietary needs with me. All the rooms we used were superb with wonderful views. Although some redecorating was in progress this was not a problem for us and was not detrimental to our stay. Stunning location. If possible allow time to walk in the grounds - woodland and gardens both merit a wander round. Also don't miss the museum - interesting history of the hotel.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
A lovely review thank you. I sincerely do hope we can welcome you back to the Atholl Palace sometime soon and I will forward your comments to all the team

Regards

Kieran Whyte
Reviewed 15 May 2014

Had a great stay here whilst supporting a lady with learning disabilities - staff were second to none. Went out there way for us. Especially the young waiter - sure his name was Ross maybe. Also the manager great atmosphere around the hotel. The girls in the spa were super as well. Thank you and I will be back

• Stayed May 2014
This review has made us proud as punch. Thank you so very much
Herefordshire
Reviewed 14 May 2014

The drive and grounds are particularly attractive and the hotel is fairly well located for going into Pitlochry. Food was good and the head waiter was exemplary: he was professional, polite and very helpful - perhaps guests affect staff behaviour at times.
We enjoyed our visit and would recommend this hotel..

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Martinside
A lovely review. The staff make a hotel and I appreciate each and every one of the members working here. I will gladly pass on your great comments re the food and service.

Hope to welcome you back soon

Kieran
Gullane, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 May 2014

We last called in at the Atholl Palace about six years ago, and were not impressed - it was shabby and the service was poor. We were persuaded by friends to stay there last month, and found it to be hugely improved. Our bedroom was more than adequate, with a good bathroom and a superb view. The food was good - not 5 star, but very good nonetheless, and the service was superb - every member of staff said hello when you passed them, and they were well trained. Unfortunately the swimming pool was out of order owing to a leak, but these things happen - not the hotel's fault. Clearly a great deal of money has been spent on the hotel, and we would certainly go back. Our only criticism was that we would normally ask for a double bedded room, but all the double beds are 4ft.6ins - which we find a bit too small, so had to settle for twin beds, which were very comfortable.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view - can be spectacular; also enquire about the size of beds!
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank ericmyra
Its very encouraging when repeat guests notice and comment on the constant improvements we are making to both the fabric and service levels of the hotel so thank you very much for this. I do hope you return soon to enjoy the current investment that is making us even better

Wallsend, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 May 2014

Wonderful location ,woeful service and value....
Aside from the pool closure (which I knew about) which has no real bearing on my overall imrpession, many other issues prevented me from enjoying, or reflecting positively on my stay there- of course the approach to the hotel is amazing and very grand, but once inside the venue, any pleasing sensation of luxury, or feeling special quickly goes. It is tired, in need of renonvation and some staff replaced entirely. Particalur mention should be made of one of the waiters (head waiter, if that is not a contradiction terms....), who was wonderfully rude and short with people (myself included). Like a comedy villain who clearly though he worked in some sort of exclusive, michelin starred gaff (and not a provincial baording house passed it's best). When asked by a hungry guest could he get a burger (which you could get I think, but couldnt work out where or by what means as I had been unable to find the 'bar' menu they managed to securely hide), he replied "what, a burger, in here??". Was funny until I realsied I was paying for such appaling servce. I could go on but I have waste denough of my life on this place.
(oh, they also tried to charge me for a meal I didnt have. Worth a shot right? Also, there was a dead beetle/insect waiting for me in bed)
Please do not stay here, vote with your feet!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
7 Thank Garreth D
OUCH" We clearly failed you and I do understand you were met by our Duty Manager. This is not what we are about however on investigating your comments with my Head Waiter I do think some items may have been taken out on context as it was never his intention to cause offence .

We do work very hard to deliver great service and sometimes we can it wrong as can anyone however we are the first to hold our hands up to the same.

Pitlochry, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 May 2014

Where to start? The room was cozy, clean and spacious. The staff were an utter delight, kind, friendly and went out their way to make sure our stay was the best it could possibly be. The grounds are the best I have experienced at any hotel. I was here a few years ago and the improvement under the new management is vast. Can't wait to come back here again. I will recommend to anyone coming to stay in Pitlochry.

• Stayed April 2014
1 Thank Brothersun86
APManagement, General Manager at Atholl Palace Hotel, responded to this review, 13 May 2014
So glad you had an enjoyable time in the hotel. Its great to note your comments that the improvements we are slowly introducing aren't going unnoticed.

Thanks for such wonderful comments