“Grand old hotel in glorious setting”

Atholl Palace Hotel
Ranked #8 of 18 Hotels in Pitlochry
Antrim, United Kingdom
“Grand old hotel in glorious setting”
Reviewed 2 June 2014

My wife and I spent one night in this grand old hotel on the outskirts of Pitlochry. Whilst elements of the hotel are old fashioned and it's décor somewhat faded in places this adds to the charm and "magic" of the establishment. The staff were very welcoming and friendly and service at all levels was very good. We were upgraded to a small suite which had all the facilities you would expect of a four star hotel. The restaurant enjoys a superb view over a large wooded glen with hills beyond - whatever seat or table is used the vista remains spectacular. The food in the restaurant was very good, although my wife felt that her selection was a little plain (I thought mine was very good), and the price was very reasonable. This is a great hotel to use as a base to explore the wonderful town of Pitlochry, or the Cairngorms National Park. Equally it's a very nice hotel to enjoy as an indulgent treat. Give it a go!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank ijallen52
Kieran A, General Manager at Atholl Palace Hotel, responded to this review, 7 June 2014
A lovely review thank you. The Atholl Palace hotel is indeed a grand old dame and we are all immensely proud of her. Thank you for taking the time and trouble to post your thoughts and we look forward to welcoming you back

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (430)
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
Peebles, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 June 2014

My boyfriend and I spent an evening here and it was wonderful, as if the grandeur of the hotel wasn't enough the views that surround it are truly stunning! Fantastic atmosphere, food, and service from all the staff. Thanks for such a great stay!!! Would highly recommend!!

• Stayed May 2014
I am so pleased you had a wonderful visit to the hotel and I sincerely thank you for your kind comments. The setting is wonderful as is the whole of the area. I hope to welcome you back soon

Kieran
Donegal Ireland
Reviewed 2 June 2014

We stayed here for a family wedding in May and it was just superb. The ambiance of luxury, the attentiveness of staff and the food was excellent. There is a "casual" atmosphere in the lounge where we had a meal on the evening prior to the wedding. We really appreciated this, as some top of the range hotels have a "stuffy" atmosphere which is not relaxing. As a wedding location it is simply beautiful with stunning gardens and features. The room was a good size and the bed was extremely comfortable. Variety of food for breakfast was ample and enjoyable. I left behind a pair of shoes when I checked out and returned the next morning hoping, but not really expecting that they would be there - they were - in the 'lost and found', marked according to room number and date. I was impressed. I would certainly recommend The Atholl Palace hotel and hope to return again in the future.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Anne M
Delighted you enjoyed the wedding at the hotel. We do strive very hard to make that ambience just right and according to your feedback we seem to be getting there. This is of course helped by such a friendly bunch of staff for whom I have he greatest admiration.

I sincerely thank you for your wonderful comments
Charlottesville, Virginia
Reviewed 2 June 2014

On a 5 night tour of Scotland, we had the pleasure of staying one night at Atholl Palace. When driving in, the entrance was impressive to say the least. We were fortunate in that we had a 4th floor triple room. The only negative is that we had to carry our bags ( 3 checked bags) up a flight of stairs. We we're a little surprised the front desk didn't offer assistance with carrying the bags. Would definitely suggest staying at Atholl palace if you want a relaxing stay while being close to town,

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Its such a pity you only managed a one night stay with us but I hope you enjoyed the rest of your holiday. I have reminded all the front office team that they must offer assistance with luggage and I apologise this did not happen on arrival.

I do hope I can welcome you back sometime soon

Kieran
Reviewed 1 June 2014 via mobile

Enjoyed an overnight stay in a double room on the third floor, room was in one of the turrets and was small but ok for one night wouldn't have wanted to spend a week in it. Hotel is in a Very peaceful location away from the town with lovely grounds to walk around. Breakfast menu was great and food delicious good variety.

• Stayed May 2014
Thank you for your terrific feedback. I am so glad you enjoyed our food and we have just this week launched our new summer menu into the restaurant and it to is getting rave reviews. All our bedrooms do vary so much in size and hardly and two are alike which I feel makes us more individual as a property.

Denny
Reviewed 1 June 2014

My wife had a summer job in Pitlochry many years ago when she was a student and the Atholl Palace was a landmark hotel even then although with a poor reputation. It was completely refurbished a few years ago and since then she has wanted to stay there. So as a special treat, I arranged a stay this weekend. Was it special? Well, yes and no. It was very nearly excellent but just missed the mark. It is set just on the edge of Pitlochry just as you enter the town from the south. If you are not a good walker, you would want a car to go into town. Otherwise, it is about 15 minutes walk. The building itself is stunning and is set in beautiful landscaped grounds. For families there are many activities including putting, tennis, pitch and putt and there is an excellent well equipped and maintained leisure centre with a swimming pool. When we arrived there was a wedding taking place so the place was crowded with guests. However, the hotel is big enough to lose everyone and this was never a problem. From start to finish the staff were friendly and helpful. They are very good if, at some times, you felt they were a little bit stretched. However, the hotel was busy.
Our room was comfortably spacious with a spectacular view. It would be difficult to get a room in the hotel where noise was a problem, I would think. It was well decorated and had a modern bathroom which included a shower. I have marked the hotel down on sleep quality. This is because the mattresses, I think, are of the memory foam variety. They may be comfortable enough but they seem to absorb body heat and radiate it back. We were overly warm because of this. This might not be everyone's experience.
There is a lift to all the floors.
Guests should check out the museum in the basement. This is a very interesting history of the hotel and shows the pride the current owners must have in it.
So where does it drop the ball? Undoubtedly at the dinner table. For an hotel with pretensions to be first class, it really needs to up its game as far as evening meals are concerned. Dinner turned what could have been a wonderful experience into something which left you with that feeling that it could have easily been so much better. For a start, 50% of the starters and mains have supplements. That would not be so bad if they merited it. I had the smoked loin of venison which had a £5 supplement. I wish I hadn't bothered. I had half a dozen salami thin slices on crumbly bread which overpowered the flavour accompanied by some token leaves. My wife had the chowder which also had a supplement. Although tasty enough, it was lacking in fishy chunks and could have been a bigger portion. It all felt a bit meagre. Do not splash out on a dish with a supplement - it is not worth it. For the main, I had salmon which was one of two "specials". It wasn't. It had an accompaniment of dry couscous which was not a great combination of textures and there was too little sauce that would make the couscous interesting. The salmon could have passed as being from a supermarket. My wife had a sweet potato curry with what looked like a catering supplier's nan-bread and plain rice. It was ok. Still feeling a bit hungry, I went for the cheese board. Another disappointment. It was served in a side area on a help yourself basis. A hotel like this should have had an interesting selection of Scottish cheeses, served at the table with a knowledgeable waiter discussing their provenance. You get the feeling that the "local supplier" in this case is the local COOP or some other supermarket. It was a very bland selection of the usual cheese suspects.
Come on, Atholl Palace; your dinners could be so much better than this and this great building deserves so much more. I really wanted you to be brilliant and you so nearly are.
By contrast, breakfast, which is also a buffet, is very good with a large range of dishes.
Did we enjoy our stay? Yes, we did. Would we go back? Yes, but perhaps on a bed and breakfast basis and eat dinner elsewhere (although this kind of defeats the object of an hotel like the Atholl Palace).
This is an hotel you could fall in love with but dinner could lead you to being led astray by a more attractive alternative.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for kindly taking the time to post a review following your stay I am sorry you felt let down by dinner and I have passed these comments to our Chef. This week we have introduced a new Summer Menu which is receiving very favourable feedback. I do indeed hope to welcome you back soon

Northampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 June 2014 via mobile

We have been staying in this hotel since 2000. Love this place ..room 82 has always been our home from home but this time a little annoyed though.

The bathroom had mould in the shower cubicle .The mats were old and dirty after repeated complaints nothing was done although the manager was very accommodative and helpful. But the house keeping service was appalling. We stayed 3 days in these circumstances.

A token of goodwill was given only after we again talked and showed the pictures. Thanks . But we were not after discount ...We love this place and want it to remain as the best.

Varandha roof and ceilings looked a bit tired.
The tennis court is abundant and unloved.

The pool and steam room the sauna and the jacuzzi was fab

Please please rectify the problem so that we can come again and again to stay here like we used to stay.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank I C
Hi there

Many thanks for your review. Room 82 which you mention in particular closes its doors tomorrow for a couple of weeks as we are renovating and refurbishing all 6 bedrooms on the garden wing. We are very excited at this will be the introduction of the third decor scheme which will be common throughout a large number of the rooms. We have been quietly working away on our full refurbishment programme and delighted to see light at the end of the tunnel. I hope to meet you for your feedback on your next visit