“Bates Motel”

Atholl Palace Hotel
Ranked #8 of 17 Hotels in Pitlochry
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Dreadful! My worst hotel experience ever by a clear mile! We'd stayed in the new lodges several times and always been impressed with them so I booked the Moulin, 4* luxury lodge, as it was the best layout for my husband, son, brother, sister-in-law and baby niece, for the weekend of my parents' wedding anniversary. They booked their touring caravan park into the park over the road. I requested a cot & highchair for my baby niece and my reservation of the Moulin was confirmed. Arrived at check in on a Friday and was told that we were booked into the Stables lodge. When I questioned this I was told there were no guarantees with lodge bookings and assured the Stables was a similar offering to the Moulin. I took the keys and went to investigate. It could not be further from the standard of lodge we had booked and previously stayed in! Tiny rooms, strong smell of smoke, dark, dirty, broken, mis-matched and dated furniture and very basic fittings, horrible contrasting curtains & carpet, broken window panes.. And no DVD or CD player, no dishwasher, not enough seating, not even basics like a grill pan or enough glasses and no cot or highchair. Awful and could never be described as a luxury lodge (I have attached pictures to illustrate). When I returned to reception I was informed there had been a over booking issue which had only been discovered that morning when the guests who'd been in the Moulin all week had not checked out, as expected; I was told it was then that the front office discovered they had booked until the Sunday. I was told all other lodges were fully booked so the Stables or 2 hotel rooms in Fishers 3* hotel in Pitlochry were the only options. How can 2 hotel rooms be considered a suitable alternative for 2 families with young children who wanted to share the evenings after putting the kids to bed? This was the whole point of booking a lodge! There was no apology or acknowledgement that these options were both unsuitable. Upset, I tried to call my brother (who was travelling to the hotel) and took my son round to the park while waiting for him to call back. The guests staying in the Moulin were outside the property so I asked them if there had been a mix up with their booking and, in contradiction, they confirmed they had just arrived the previous night and been allocated the Moulin when they refused to stay in the Stables (which they thought was disgusting). They advised they were leaving the next day (Saturday). I went back to reception to ask, if we agreed stay in the Stables that night, could we transfer to the Moulin for the following 2 nights. Their new story was that would not be possible because wedding guests were checking in to the Moulin on the Saturday for 18 nights. When asked why the story kept changing, the front office manager told me she did not wish to continue the conversation and the events manager told me I was over-reacting and I overheard her tell other guests who were arrived not to be put off by this scene! The hotel refused to cover the cost of an alternative lodge in Pitlochry - offering only a refund. We could not accept this as by now it was 6pm and my 6 month old niece was en route and all of us had packed cars, taken time off work etc etc and it was for my parents' anniversary. We had to reluctantly accept the Stables and there was NO apology, NO empathy and no-one to escalate the matter to. The general manager would not answer his mobile so all I could do was email him, but received no response. During our stay in the lodge we found an old pair of boots in the wardrobe! The property doesn't even feature on the lodges page of their website and I actually believe it is probably used as staff accommodation. We had to eat out all weekend because it was so unpleasant but obviously we had to stay in during the evenings. I have sent several emails to the hotel director but they are consistently ignored - this hotel has NO IDEA about customer service! What a way to treat repeat customers! Appalling!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
14  Thank SThirkill
Write a ReviewReviews (1,981)

Reviewed 5 August 2014

Scenery and the building are amazing, however the basic rooms are small, our windows would not shut fully but that is ok as the room was very hot when we arrived. Dinner was ok although more than half the menu was extra costs to the original amount included my booking cost. After the meal my wife and I where waiting for a coffee but we were told to go to other areas of the hotel for coffee.
The breakfast was a buffet breakfast, so all in all I would stay for a night at most.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Angus M
Reviewed 4 August 2014

Our nightmare began on arrival at the reception, staffed by two of the most obnoxious ladies I have had the displeasure to meet. We were promptly told they had no record of our reservation and that the hotel was fully booked with a large wedding party. Luckily, I produced my prepaid voucher from Tenon Tours that had our confirmation information clearly printed out. With a huff and a puff, the lady finally was able to come up with a room for us (#95 - beware of this one as I will explain). We needed to climb a narrow staircase to the second floor into a cramped alcove to discover our room furnished with a tiny double bed (NO- not Queen, not King, a bed slightly larger than a twin) and a desk and chair that was delivered straight out of a college dormitory room. An extremely cramped bathroom with a sink that had duel faucets for hot and cold (how outdated is that!) and a tacky bathtub probably installed in the 1930's. We returned to the front desk to see if another room was possible and were told nothing else was available as the wedding sold out the place. I explained that we booked 3 months in advance and our room did not even remotely resemble anything they published in their brochure or on their website. She abruptly told us rooms are assigned only the day before and we get what we get and "case closed"!

Dinner selections in their tacky dining room were quite limited, and I ended up with a basic fish and chips (and charged a mighty £26) for a small slab of haddock and a stack of undercooked french fries! My partner survived a petite serving of overcooked Dover sole sitting a top of putrid tomato remoulade.

The hotel was hideously hot (the fault of unusually warm weather this summer), and air conditioning apparently is an unknown foreign concept in this dump. We were warned not to open windows as birds (and maybe bats) will fly in!

WiFi, though offered complimentary was useless as there was no signal. We overheard other guests say you can sometimes find a "hot spot" somewhere around the lobby area.

The breakfast buffet was the smallest of any hotel we visited in Scotland, considering the size of this ghastly behemoth, and the selections offered limp fruit, stale rolls, dried out scrambled eggs that resembled cheese cubes, practically raw bacon and the most tepid coffee served on the planet.

To add insult to obvious injury, at check out (a moment we had ended up praying dearly for), we were charged not just for our extra meal, but for our room (£130)! I needed to remind the receptionist (the same wonderful lady we dealt with the day before), that we provided our voucher showing full prepayment of our room & breakfast. With a sneer and shrug, she consulted in a back room with someone, and returned with a revised invoice for the extra meal only. No apology, no explanation, no nothing!

I smiled politely upon exiting the reception area and informed the delightful receptionist that I could not wait until I returned home to share my wonderful experiences at this hell hole. Her stiff upper lip quivered and her nose rose high towards the ceiling and she abruptly turned around and retreated to that little back room.

Needless to say, I must warn anyone even considering a stay here (unless you were duped into joining a big wedding party), beware. This hotel is dilapidated with public seating areas strewn with rotting furniture, worn carpeting, falling plaster and dull adornments.

There are several other lovely properties in this area that actually will give you what they promise, and not the deceit and obnoxious cruelty that the Atholl Palace inflicts. If I could have given a minus 5 stars, I would have!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
7  Thank Thom W
Reviewed 4 August 2014 via mobile

Spent two nights here. The staff were pleasant and helpful. The room was small but comfortable. The food was delicious with good veggie options. The location is excellent and the hotel grounds great for relaxing with a prosecco. The only disappointment was the gym. It needed a good clean; bin overflowing; water cooler empty; no cups.

• Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank Pictonnz
Reviewed 3 August 2014 via mobile

Stayed for a night in July. One the drive up to the hotel I was blown away with the scenery. Reception staff were friendly and attentive. Our room was to the front of the hotel overlooking the grounds which are lovely. The room was a standard room but clean and adequate and the ensuite had a bath with I love :). Hubby and I went to the spa after dinner. Lovely big jacuzzi to relax in. Breakfast was buffet style with a great selection. Will be returning soon as this is a beautiful hotel in a beautiful place :)

• Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank Islander1000
Reviewed 2 August 2014

I chose Atholl Palace because my husband had attended Medical School dances there while at St. Andrew's when he attended 26 years ago. I had arranged a small 50th birthday surprise party at Atholl and the staff was very helpful by internet beforehand and then once we got there. The hotel is beautiful and set in a lovely spot with a lot to do around it. The town is populated with tourists but fun and a nice retreat to return to. The food was not the best I have had but service made up for it.
We were there for two nights. The second night was the party. 2 exceptional service opportunities: 1 our group stayed in the bar way past closing. Rather than shooing us a way the nice barmaid told us to stay as long as we would like. She did not need to do that... She stayed though she said she may not... Very kind of her! 2nd, when we did leave the bar, my husband and I returned to our room to a couple of bats!!! We were warned to not keep windows open for fear of birds but not bats, (I believe it was because our room was next to a wall that had a wet pipe on the outside of it; perfect spot for bats) After trying, along with the night maid, unsuccessfully to shoo the bats we were moved up to the turret room (upgrade) for the night.
The room size was fine and the bathroom quite nice. Atholl Palace did have bar soap. I have noticed that this has not been standard with all of the spots we have stayed. (You may want to take a travel bar along with you)

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sarah W
Reviewed 1 August 2014

Went here for our anniversary last week and to sum up I can say it is excellent at some things and average at others so:

Excellent:
Location was stunning, easy to walk into pitlochry and some great views and walks near by. Also when you arrive at the hotel the landscaping is stunning and wow, the hotel architecture is amazing and this continues inside with grand rooms filled with comfortable and smart looking furniture. We loved having a whiskey in the bar in the evening.

We spent a little more and stayed in the turret suite which I would definitely recommend as a lot of other reviews seem to agree. Stunning views, loads of room and no noise from anybody!

Facilities- great range of things to do, walking, pitch and putt, tennis, putting green, swimming pool and spa, excellent free entry to nearby Blair atholl castle etc.

Free WiFi (although range didn't really extend up into turret site) and full size snooker table in basement

Average things:

Service was ok, food was good but not what you may expect from a 4 star.

Indoor swimming pool is freezing (as other reviewers had said) and there isn't any reason for it being like that as they have a purpose built child plunge pool next to it)

Overall I would recommend the hotel just maybe think about upgrading room size (as others seem to complain about standard rooms) and maybe just go for the bed and breakfast options and dine in pitlochry which has an abundance of great restaurants and pubs!:

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple