“Disappointing”

Atholl Palace Hotel
Ranked #8 of 18 Hotels in Pitlochry
Reviewed 4 May 2009

We have just been for a weekend break in Pitlochry and picked Atholl palace as it looked fantasitic and reviews were good unfortunately this was not the case. Positives = The hotel does look lovely and so do the gardens and the location is perfect. Bad points = The facilities not working this weekend were the out door pool, Sauna, Steam room, Plunge pool and Jacuzzi.
The restaurant is fine for breakfst but for dinner a massive disappointment and i urge every one to go to a local bar like Mckays for good food. Our steaks were of poor quality and then cooked very badly as were the starters. Not good considering our meal was over £80 for two people.
When we aired our problems with the hotel manager he was not bothered at all and responded with " well no one uses those other facilites any way " and when we mentioned that the food was much better quality in the local pub then his restaurant he replied " really where was that " ha ha maybe he was thinking of taking his wife there ..

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Chris S
There are newer reviews for Atholl Palace Hotel

Reviewed 4 May 2009

I am not a complainer by nature and normally let things slide however I recently spent a Spa day here for a treat for a friends birthday, sadly it was very disappointing. The whole area was filthy and rather worrying. A guest of the hotel came in and stayed for five minutes as she was seriously concerned about the health implications of the surroundings for her young nephew. The changing rooms were filthy, the drain around the pool was full of mucky filth, the jacuzzi and plunge pool were both "out of order" however no-one informed us of this on arrival - they were both half filled with stagnant mucky water and looked like they had been like that for some time, the floor areas were dirty with old plasters and pools of filthy water.. We stayed no longer than an hour. I didn't mention it to the girls in the spa (who were very pleasant) as felt it was more worthwhile speaking to the manager - his attitude may expain the probem. He honestly didn't look as if he was too bothered, said the mucky around the pool happened often, said there had been a wedding on the previous day (?), there was some staff "off" and he hadn't had any complaints before and blame shifted to other staff. A poor attitude for someone in his position. A shame that a beautiful hotel local to myself lets itself down in such a way.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled with friends
1  Thank jillybscot
Reviewed 27 April 2009

This was my third stay in this hotel and once again i didnt want to leave!
Its amazing travelling up the winding tree lined drive past the duck pond and seeing this beautiful old building set up on the hill.Its so grand and impressive and would make a beautiful wedding venue. That was my first thought seeing the Atholl the first time i ever visited and now here i am after my third visit and we have booked it for our wedding venue! :) The hotel is so warm and friendly and set in the most beautiful location over looking a valley and a short stroll into the little town of pitlochry with its little shops and cafes.Its idyllic and the people are all so friendly.
I cannot understand the negative reviews at all! This is our third stay and we never find fault with it and im a fussy traveller! The rooms have obviously been redecorated to a high standard. This time we stayed in a cozy room on the 4th floor with a new bathroom suite and views right over the valley. The time previous to that we stayed in an amazing room which was more like a suite with a large queen bed,and a seperate seating area and both a shower room and bathroom. The rooms all have flat screen tvs (not that you will be watching much tv here) and the public areas are very true to their classic style which i like! It would not fit in with the tone of the hotel to have modern designs in this amazing old building.
The restaurant is to a very good standard. You can tell from the menu that they choose alot of locally sourced produce. Again its to a very classic style of cooking which fits in with the environment. The breakfast is diverse and excellent quality. I have always found the staff friendly but this is particularly true for the girls at reception and in the spa. They are great and nothing is too much trouble.
And if you fancy doing something other than eating or sitting in the cozy bar then there are great walks to discover. We did some great exploring to walk off dinner and discovered the herb garden which it turns out they use in their food..you cant get fresher than that! we were also lucky enough to see beautiful deer up close and red squirells and even a rabbit or two :) There is a gym and pool and even a tennis court. I also must mention the lavender spa..get a hot stone massage..an hour and a half of HEAVEN...sooo relaxing!
I honestly didnt want to leave and cant wait to have my wedding here next year!

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 April 2009

Just returned from a short break here and must say it is one of the best hotels I've ever stayed in. The hotel is immaculate and beautifully decorated. The staff are attentive, courteous and helpful in the extreme. The hotel is calm and peaceful. Tennis racquets and putting irons are all available to use on the courts and putting greens. There are numerous woodland walks from the hotel and yes, I did see a red squirrel! The swimming pool, steam room and sauna are clean and well maintained. I visited the Lavender Spa for a few treatments and it is one of the best in the country - what a place to chill out! I felt so relaxed when my stay was over. The hotel has managed to maintain the quiet dignity and grace of the Victorian era whilst providing the modern comforts of the 21st century.. I also ate dinner here. The menu was varied and the service was second to none. I would recommend this hotel to anyone. It was good value for money. I intend to return for another break within the year.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 13 April 2009

Atholl Palace hotel is a beautiful traditional Scottish Hotel. We stayed for 2 nights with our 1 year old baby and had a fantastic time. The location is freat. The staff were very friendly and welcoming. The pool area is spotless clean and not overcrowded. The only disappointing comment to add was the shower... the pressure was poor. We called reception and they explained it's most likely caused by others showering at the same time. Unlikely as was the same the next day however that's the only fault we had. The travel cot for our baby looked brand new and bed covers very clean. Will certainly return again soon.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 8 April 2009

This hotel is very old and lovely but I did feel that it was overpriced. We stayed in a garden room and paid about £130 for one night including breakfast. The toilet was so noisy when we flushed it that we tried to avoid doing this too often during the night. However, the bathroom was clean. The rooms were quite out of date.

The breakfast was very nice.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 April 2009

After reading the mixed reviews about the Atholl Palace I was a little apprehensive about my stay. I booked into the hotel for a break 'away from it all' and as much relaxation as I could handle and I wasn't disappointed.

Yes the hotel isn't ultra modern but what can be expected from such a beautiful and old building? I would describe the decor as 'classic' but by no means horrendously out of date, just fitting with the surroundings. There is quite alot of work going on in the hotel of one type or another, but none of it majorly disruptive and it's nice to see the building being cared for and gently updated.

I wouldn't recommend the hotel for people who are into ultra moderm contempory surroundings because this building is never going to live up to that, but if you appreciate beauty and character in your surroundings then this is quite possibly the place for you. The video of the history of the Atholl Palace is well worth watching when you arrive and really helps to understand the history of the building.

The staff couldn't have been more pleasant or helpful and nothing was too much trouble. The girls in the Lavender Spa were equally as pleasant and the treatments I had were very nice.

I ordered my breakfast in bed one morning and like clockwork it arrived on time and completely correct. I asked for room service not to service my room (so I could have a lay in if I wanted) and again like clockwork they kindly left a pile of fresh towels and replacement coffee etc outside my door each morning.

It's been a long time since I stayed in a hotel where I could freely open the windows to let fresh air in when I got too hot and control the radiator when I got a little chilly so being able to do this was a refreshing change. Equally I don't ever remember being in a hotel where the towel radiator in the bathroom was actually working! So this was a real bonus for those relaxing baths.

It's worth saying that I stayed at the Atholl Palace alone for 4 nights and felt safe and secure at all times. I never felt uncomfortable being alone and really enjoyed the lounge areas where I could sit and read my book in front of the log fires for hours on end. One member of staff even asked if I'd like another log on the fire....ideal!

I guess the best way to sum up the Atholl Palace is that you'll like it if you like a historical, but comfortable environment, but will probably hate it if your looking for a brand new contempory accommodation.

Maybe I am easily pleased, but I stay in a variety of hotels throughout the country on business, and the Atholl Palace is by far the type of place I would prefer to spend my time.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled solo