“Pleasantly surprised”
Review of Fisher's Hotel

Fisher's Hotel
Ranked #13 of 18 Hotels in Pitlochry
Reviewed 13 November 2011

Just back from an overnight stay and had a fine large room No 117 on the first floor. The room was quite reasonable for £30 rate each! for bed and breakfast. The staff were all very polite and efficient, and the hotel was all freshly decorated. Altthough very busy at breakfast we were served fairly soon after arriving and the breakfast was absolutely fine, and the girls serving were very courteous. I was pleasantly surprised after reading some of the reviews-doom and gloom!! So thank you Fishers hotel for a pleasant stay.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Wyandour
There are newer reviews for Fisher's Hotel

Reviewed 10 November 2011

We stayed aday and an ovenight in the hotel. the room was a double it was clean and comfortable the bathroom was spotless which I really like to see. Dinner had been part of our deal. we really were not impressed with it. It was a set Menu and if you didnt like smoked salmon or oxtail soup then it was your tough luck my Hubby doesnt like either and ordered Greek Feta salad he said it woud have liked it if he could have found the feta. The rest of the menu was pretty poor to say the least especially the raspberry and vanilla shortcake,they gave me a fork and spoon I needed a pick and it was burnt. I couldnt even cut it with a knife. Breakfast was really excellent and the choice was outstanding plenty of choice of everything.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank chemowoman
Reviewed 9 November 2011

If you've been put off by recent reviews, ignore them! Fishers is now under new management and is currently undergoing a complete refurbishment. Rooms are now bright and fresh with great en-suite facilities. The hotel has all been re-carpeted and the menus are greatly improved - food was faultless. Great value in a great location with loads to do.

islandbagger10

Room Tip: The hotel has a number of single rooms which are fairly roomy.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank island_bagger06
Reviewed 8 November 2011

We stayed in the hotel as we had visited previously and had been impressed with the accommodation.However,this visit left us quite disappointed as the public areas were being redecorated and were somewhat messy. This would have been okay if we had been informed on booking,but we were were left ignorant of the fact and had to endure the smell of paint and the hazards of rolls of carpets left in the bar and lounge area. I feel it was a bit underhand not to inform us on booking.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Linda K
Reviewed 1 November 2011

I stayed at this hotel about 7 or eight years ago and was so unimpressed that I never returned. However seeing a good deal in the press I decided to give it another go and try out their refurbished rooms. The hotel has been taken over according to other reviewers by the owners of the nearby Atholl Palace which I have yet to try. I asked for a refurbished room at the front with a bath if possible. I got 2 out of 3 ...got a shower not a bath. The room was small and the bathroom pretty large considering there was no bath...I found the bathroom floor a bit cold and it was very stark but it was nice and clean enough. Nice towels and a heated rail. The TV was flat screen.....plenty of sockets and a hairdryer. Nice new carpet....it had not been very well laid though. The single bed was OK but the whole of that side of the room seemed to slope so you felt as if you were rolling out of bed slightly....I managed to sleep at least as well as I do at home though....on the Sunday in fact I fell asleep very early only to be woken by the fire alarm so everyone had trooped downstairs and we waited patiently to be allowed back to bed. No explaination as to whether it was a genuine or false alarm. Breakfast on the first day was fine but no fresh fruit or yoghurt till another guest asked for yoghurt then some appeared. None appeared the next day though! The day I left I got down 15 minutes after breakfast started..waited 5 minutes to be seated people had been in as their dishes left but no guests at all in at that time and as no waiter appeared I left and went for a walk! got back 40 mins later and decided to have some porridge and it was so good that I had a second bowl which meant I wasn't up for too big a cooked breakfast so asked for 2 sausages and was going to eat them in a roll. I was brought 3 sausages...a waste as knew I would only eat 2 which is why I asked for 2. The roll was stale so didn't really enjoy it. In the room I was given 2 teabags...you get 4 in most places. I also got a pair of shortbread biscuits...this was not replaced next day. Crazy to be grippy with the teabags and give folk food they didn't ask for that would be wasted. There are a lot of spiders webs in the alove outside the window...a minor point but maybe once the renovations are complete those small outside details could be seen to. All in all the negatives I have spoken about here are mostly small niggles but the staff need to get their act in gear at breakfast.....When I went down the second day there had been guests in and I could hear staff talking but nobody thinking about keeping an eye out for guests and I was doing them a favour trying to eat early in order to avoid the rush hour....if I had got served then, it would have meant less folk to serve when at their busiest. I wish them well...when I left they had just recieved a delivery of new beds and everywhere was getting painted. Nowhere was it printed as to what time checkout was which would be helpful...also is there any chance of using the pool etc at the Atholl free or at a reduced rate? Reception staff were fine on check in but tried to charge me double on departure....thought there were two of us (in a single room!) I almost had a heart attack but overall if I was given a room in the front again and it was a refurbished room and it was a reasonable rate then I would be happy to return. The things that would have made it a better visit would be a bath, more teabags and fresh fruit and slightly prompter service at breakfast.

Room Tip: I hate the noise from kitchen fans etc but don't mind traffic noise so room I had at front was f...
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled solo
5  Thank jetice_10
Reviewed 1 November 2011

We checked in and were allocated a new double. (there was someone complaining at reception when we checked in) Once in the room there was no cot, that I had emailed and arranged 2 weeks prior. I called reception, and the lady was quite rude, and wanted to know the name of the person I booked the cot with. I told her it was a foreign name, to which her reply was that there was no foreign staff in the hotel. I then checked my email and low and behold, a foreign name... the receptionist then said oh there is a female foreign staff member. She then told me she would try and get me a cot ( not acceptable since we did not bring our own cot as we were promised one from the hotel) anyway, we got one in the end. The rooms are cheaply decorated, very small and my biggest gripe is the soundproofing. We felt like out neighbours were in our room, the ones above, below and next door. We also had the pleasure of listening to one couples antics on return from the bar.. luckily it became apparant the husband had had a few drinks so we didnt have to listen too long. Breakfast was discusting.. potato scones heated in the microwave, veggie sausages also in the micro so were like mush.. we just couldnt wait to leave. The hotel is also being refurbed so it looks like a bombs hit it and shouldnt be allowing guests in just now. Stay away and book somewhere nice likke the Craigatin House.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
8  Thank dougan1
Reviewed 30 October 2011

We had an overnight Bed and Breakfast stay at the Fisher Hotel. The Hotel is having a makeover and there is a smell of fresh paint. Our room had just been refurbished with new fittings and furnishings over and above the decoration. There are carpets waiting to get laid and pictures have been removed awaiting painting to be carried out. This gave the feeling of bareness but it has to be decorated sometime. Considering the amount of work that is being undertaken the staff worked around it well. When it is complete it will be an excellent Hotel in prime location within the town. Only drawback is the limited car parking. We will certainly return.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family