“Not a family hotel...”
Review of Fisher's Hotel

Fisher's Hotel
Ranked #13 of 18 Hotels in Pitlochry
Reviewed 29 July 2014

We stayed here on the 25th July for 3 nights. Unfortunately on arriving and checking our room it appeared our bathroom had not been cleaned. We politely requested for this to be done but on returning from a stroll a couple of hours later this was still not done. The Reception staff were extremely helpful and to be honest made up for the hotels shortfalls. Subsequently the Duty Manager came to check our room out. The room was on the 2nd floor and terribly dated although offered a pleasant view to the gardens. The Duty Manager offered ourselves and our parents to move room. We did this to the 1st floor (which we had originally requested upon booking). These rooms were decorated a little more modernly and appeared to be clean. However it became apparent after a short period of time in these rooms (125 and 126) that there was a huge extractor vent expelling air from the kitchen on a flat roof outside our windows. The noise was not too bad although the intermittent food smells in the room were not as pleasant. We were awoken on morning early hours to talking outside the kitchens which went on for a period of time. The hotel itself is really more for the elderly/coach parties and in some areas is much in need of a good steam clean/updating. Breakfast was only adequate as although the cooked breakfast was OK, unfortunately the fruit and cereal selection was poor. Evening dinner was purchased one night which was extremely well presented and was delicious! Children can and cannot go in certain rooms (we travelled with an 11 year old). This was hard as the large lounge near the open front doors was quite drafty with the smell of cigarette smoke from the smokers filtering in. The other lounge which could be used for all was busy at times offering limited seating. All in all an extremely old fashioned hotel. We visited at peak time paying top prices and unfortunately this hotel was certainly not worth the price paid. On a positive note the hotel is in a great location.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Brian W, General Manager at Fisher's Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 July 2014

Dear Amanda D,

Thank you for your review of fishers Hotel following your recent stay.
I am sorry to read that we did not meet your expectations. Unfortunatley the restrictions placed on children in the hotel are licensing conditions. They are imposed on us from our local licensing board and is out of our control.
I will share your review with the hotel management team to ensure we get to the bottom of your issues.
I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to fishers Hotel sometime soon.

Reviewed 27 July 2014

We have just spent another three days in this convenient town centre hotel in Pitlochry.
We went to the Festival Theatre to see three plays/ musicals but we also toured the surrounding beautiful countryside of Perthshire. The hotel was very comfortable and we got an ideal room fitted with equipment for my partially disabled wife on the ground floor.
The staff were very helpful and the food was good.

Peter DC

Room Tip: ASK when booking for handicapped facilities, access to garden, garden view, etc.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Brian W, General Manager at Fisher's Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 July 2014

Dear Peter C,

Thank you for your review of Fishers Hotel following your recent stay with us.
Pitlochry and the surrounding countryside are beautiful and are a real reason to visit the area.
I am delighted you found the facilities in our accessible room comfortable.
I hope we can welcome you back to Fishers Hotel sometime soon.

Reviewed 26 July 2014

Our arrival at reception was nice as the receptionist (Gillian I think) was super friendly and welcomed us with a wee dram of whisky or sherry. Our room 206 and was a family room. The travel cots we had requested were erected prior to our arrival and there is a lift to take us up to the second floor.

Car park had plenty spaces, wifi is in public areas but not rooms, room service is available and there is a selection of bars, lounges, rooms to relax in.

We didn't try the food as it seemed a little costly and didn't really contain any childrens selections, although the receptionist did later tell us that there is a specific childrens menu.

Breakfast was buffet style with plenty waiting staff to tend to us.

Just be mindful of two things:

1- This hotel caters to coach partys so large groups of people could decend into bar/lounge/ breakfast room at any time.

2 - The adjoining pub next door has loud music and karaoke on most of the time and it is not unusual for this to go on until about 1130pm.

Didn't spoil our fun though.

Dear Dayavee,

Thank you for your kind review following your recent stay with us at Fishers Hotel.

I'm delighted you enjoyed your stay and perhaps on your next visit you will choose to dine with us, as we cater for all the family.

Reviewed 22 July 2014

Stayed for 1 night for my grans 81st birthday as an overnight treat, hotel and staff went beyond expectations to make it special for my gran, which my gran was delighted with gifts.

Hotel staff very friendly and attentive. Lovely furnishing and good food.

Great location stayed on previous occasion and can't wait to return again in October, thank you to all the staff at fishers for an excellent stay.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Brian W, General Manager at Fisher's Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 July 2014

Dear Beth A,

Many thanks for your kind and generous review and a belated happy birthday to your gran. We look forward to welcoming you back to Fishers Hotel in October.

Reviewed 20 July 2014

Stayed in the hotel for the first time on 10th July and the whole experience from check in to check out was excellent. Staff were very helpful and welcoming and their local knowledge was really helpful. Dinner was really good with a wide choice of menu and the breakfast was first class. Will definitely be back and will be recommending the hotel to some friends.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Brian W, General Manager at Fisher's Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 July 2014

Dear Bean N D,

Thank you for your kind and generous review. I'm delighted you enjoyed your stay and highlighted your breakfast experience, our breakfast is the best way to set you up for the day ahead.

I will share your review with our team I am always very proud of them especially when they are being praised in reviews.

I look forward to welcoming you back to Fishers sometime soon.

Reviewed 16 July 2014

Stayed at the Fisher Hotel on the way up to the Highlands very welcoming with a nip of whiskey on arrival very spacious ,clean room and lovely Dinner no problems will return on our way up to the Highlands again .

1  Thank EWM123
Brian W, General Manager at Fisher's Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2014

Dear EWM123,

Thank you for your review of Fishers Hotel following your recent stay. The nip of whishky is a great way to welcome you to the Perthshire Highlands.
I look forward to welcoming you back to Fishers Hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 15 July 2014

After a long coach journey the coffee and biscuits provided on arrival while our room keys allocated was most welcome. By the time mum and I had finished and made our way to our room, it was to find our cases already outside waiting for us. The duty manger had accompanied us to the room, as we had a query about the height of the beds and how I'd cope, but I need not have worried as the bed was at the right height for me to get on and off the bed without too much hassle - a welcome relief. We were then left to settle in. The managers and receptionists we met were friendly and helpful.

The bedroom was spacious, with patio doors overlooking a small garden and some patio furniture. The room was lovely and clean, with comfortable beds made with lovely clean sheets and duvet covers, plenty of wardrobe and drawer space for our clothes. There were 2 easy chairs and a dining chair - so plenty of choice for seating. The room was nicely decorated and cleaned daily.

There was also a spacious en-suite wet room. There were a couple of minor problems with the wet room in that it was hard to reach the bar on the all to aid getting up from and sitting down on the toilet, or reaching the toilet roll on the same wall especially if, like me you have limited movement in your right arm. It was fortunate that I had my mum to help me. We brought this to the attention of the hotel manager and showed him the difficulties I was having and he promised to look into the repositioning of the bars or the installation of a new bar and toilet roll holder.

The food was well cooked and nicely presented and always arrived piping hot, where necessary - which was lovely. The waiting staff were mainly foreign, but friendly, pleasant, polite and efficient, as were the cleaning staff.

It was easy to walk into Pitlochry and would certainly return for a stay in the future, if given the chance. I would recommend the hotel to others too.

Dear Heather A,

Thank you for taking time to review your recent stay at Fishers Hotel.
I appreciated the time you took to point out the improvements we could make to our accessible bathrooms to make the facilities more convenient and comfotable your our guests. I have yesterday installed a new bar on the otherside of the toilet.
I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay and I look forward to welcoming you back to Fishers Hotel sometime soon. (When you book please ask for room 2)