“First Class”

Ranked #4 of 18 Hotels in Pitlochry
Perth, United Kingdom
“First Class”
Reviewed 9 March 2014 via mobile

Stayed in Castle room, this is a lovely room with a fantastic view, service was pleasant and efficient, they could not be more helpfull,
We walked up to golf course then back through town over bridge, past theatre and Dam to our hotel. We will be back and recommend to our friends.

Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
FonabCastleHotel, Manager at Fonab Castle Hotel, responded to this review, 10 March 2014
Good afternoon Jimmy W.

Thank you for the review and the kind comments. We appreciate this.

It's great to see that you enjoyed your visit to Fonab and we look forward to welcoming you back.

Deputy General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (353)
Dunfermline, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 March 2014 via mobile

Fonab is a great hotel! The food was excellent! I dined in the fine dining area tonight and had the seven course meal. All of them were amazing but I have to single out the dessert which was a lovely, pistachio ice cream and a chocolate mousse ( I've forgotten). We sat across from the owners, who are really nice people. The staff are excellent!
As I only arrived at night and had dinner I've not seen the grounds and the view but I'm told its a great view. Hopefully I'll see it tomorrow...
Overall the hotel is absolutely virtuoso! Everything, right down to the handles on doors, is wonderful.

Can't wait to come back

Stayed March 2014
FonabCastleHotel, Manager at Fonab Castle Hotel, responded to this review, 8 March 2014
Good morning!!

Thank you for your great review. We are pleased that you enjoyed your experience of our hotel and Sandeman's fine dining.

We look forward to welcoming you back in a few months time and hope that you enjoyed the view in the morning!

Elie, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 March 2014

This is my second review for this hotel. I submitted one soon after we returned home but felt I was perhaps too harsh in my comments and asked for it to be withdrawn - after all you can't please all of the people all of the time. This hotel has obviously had a lot of money lavished on it and I would suspect its aimed at the higher end of the market but for me there was something missing. Was it the lack of atmosphere? Was it some of the quirky services they offered like accompanying you up to the bar but NOT giving you a dinner menu to peruse before your meal? Was it the décor? - the bar and brasserie overlook the "loch" but in the winter all you can see when you look out is black with your reflection looking back at you. Was it the annoying lack of shelving to store your toiletries in the shower room and the horrible toilet seat? Was it the noise from the A9 which continued into the night? (get a room overlooking the loch if you can!) or the way you couldn't put anything into the wardrobe until you had squeezed round the half open wardrobe door past the bed to get the other half door open? It was all just little things but for me it spoiled the whole experience and so I didn't think it was value for money. We paid £300 for one nights dinner, bed and breakfast in a castle signature room which faced the roadside.It advertises itself as a luxury castle - yes it is a castle and yes it is luxurious but for me I was left feeling underwhelmed and given that we were celebrating a special occasion, I felt it missed the mark. There were also some issues with the service like our table being cleared while my husband was still eating and the waitress at dinner not knowing what a liqueur coffee was but I'm sure that could be corrected with the right training. I don't know why they have chosen to use a tiny reception area and not the main front door but its cramped and overcrowded when people are trying to check in/out and there is luggage all over the place. The new wing is completely out of keeping with the old castle building so it spoils your arrival experience IMHO. Obviously my views are in the minority- its such a shame I couldn't be more positive, sorry!

Room Tip: Get a loch view room otherwise you will be kept awake by traffic noise late into the night or early...
8 Thank woodybark
Good morning and thank you for leaving a review with your personal thoughts on Fonab Castle Hotel in which you stayed in February on our special rate of £180.00 Bed & Breakfast.

It's absolutely true that you cannot please everyone, however we take all comments on-board. Things like toilets seats and whether there is enough shelving are both personal choice comments and with consultation from Visit Scotland and the AA, both or whom are happy with our bedrooms, we realize this.

Regarding the outside annoyances that you encountered, we cannot alter the path of the A9 which runs along the front of the castle grounds, nor the castle facings (i.e the windows as these are all original) and also we cannot be held liable for it being dark outside when you were trying to view the loch at night from the Brasserie. We are however planning to light up the banking of the loch and trees which will help develop a focal point when it is dark outside in winter.

Regarding reception, we have to take into consideration the Fonab Castle is a Historically Listed building and we are forbidden to alter the physical facing of the castle. This is why the main door is not used as we cannot build a ramp for our disabled guests to enter here and the castle doors withing the main door are too narrow for wheelchair users. Due to Disability equality, we cannot make these guests travel another 25 yards to enter the building via a level entrance. The reception is sited where it is because it is central to the hotel and the restaurants therefore giving easy access to all guests and not just the ones who are able bodied or non residents. This is also where the elevator is for our restaurants and lounge bar.

In every restaurant in the world there are on going training issues and we are no different. We actively work with the staff on a day to day basis to ensure we give the best possible service. I have taken your two comments regarding this on board. Thank you.

We are sorry that you felt you stay was average and I thank you once again for your comments.

Kilmarnock, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 March 2014

My husband and I enjoyed a fabulous overnight stay at Fonab Castle after reading the amazing reviews onTrip Advisor. We hoped the hotel would live up to the high praise of the reviews and we were not disappointed! The location is stunning and the hotel itself is really unique. The food in the Brasserie was delicious and the cocktails were 1st class! It has to be said that the professional, young staff at Fonab Castle really know a thing or two about Customer Service and are a credit to this hotel! A wonderful place to chill out and re-charge your batteries! Can't wait for the spa to open!

Room Tip: We stayed in a Woodland Room on the upper floor and it had lovely views (and a balcony) of the loch...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
FonabCastleHotel, Manager at Fonab Castle Hotel, responded to this review, 6 March 2014
Good morning!!

Thank you for your great review of your stay with us. We are pleased to see that you enjoyed your time here and all of the food, drink and service we have to offer. The woodland Rooms are fantastic and the balconies are wonderful when the weather is on the warmer side.

We loo forward to seeing you again!

Deputy General manager
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 March 2014

My wife and I stayed at Fonab Castle Hotel for a midweek getaway last week and found the hotel beautiful, the room luxurious, the surroundings absolutely stunning and the staff friendly. We'll definitely return for a longer stay.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
FonabCastleHotel, Manager at Fonab Castle Hotel, responded to this review, 4 March 2014
Good morning!!

Thank you for leaving your comments of your experience with us here at Fonab Castle. It's wonderful for us to hear that you enjoyed the complete range of services and amenities we have to offer including the staff.

We look forward to welcoming you back.

Formby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 March 2014

We returned last week to Fonab Castle for our second time after having spent a fantastic few days here in July. We were not disappointed. Absolutely wonderful. The lovely touches of the staff remembering our little boy from our previous visit and making him and us feel very special. We were very fortunate to have the same Woodland Suite and the quality was still as excellent. From arrival to departure accommodation, service, food was all perfect. The staff deserve a special mention as they provide a magnificent service to guests. A personal thank you to Salvatore, Ed, Matt, Gosha, and Megan. The chefs create amazing food daily. We have already booked for our next visit of 5 days in May. We love Pitlochry and Fonab so much that we are getting married when we return in May.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
FonabCastleHotel, Manager at Fonab Castle Hotel, responded to this review, 3 March 2014
Hello!

Thanks for leaving another sterling review on our page. We are thrilled to see that you enjoyed your second visit to Fonab and even booked a third for May,

The staff are a true credit to us from the Kitchen Porters all the way through to the Managers who run their departments and I'm really pleased that they were able to show you what we are relly all about.

We look forward to seeing you in May.

Deputy General Manager.
Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 March 2014

Booked in for a few days on our wedding anniversary. Right from the start we were impressed by the hotel. Check in was fast and efficient with Alan the concierge taking our bags to the room. He took the time and gave us a brief look at the Brasserie, lounge, Gin bar . He took the time to explain all of the quality equipment in the room from the Nespresso machine, Bluetooth radio and went and collected fresh milk for our tea and coffee. He was an ambassador for the hotel, well done. The room was fantastic, excellent linen, robes, slippers, quality toiletries. Very well decorated and a Phillips smart TV on the wall. Huge bed, Very very comfortable.
The view from the balcony was breathtaking with a fantastic view of the loch.
The food was fantastic, so refreshing to have breakfast cooked for you rather than the standard buffet breakfast. Incredible choices for breakfast. What a fantastic choice as well the Brioche french toast and streaky bacon was outstanding as was the cooked breakfast. Portions were more than adequate. Dinner was quite simply outstanding, Best Fillet steak and chips I've had in a very long time, wife just loved the duck.
What can I say about the staff other than every one of them was superb. From check in to check out it would be extremely difficult to pick a single fault with any one of them. They were always attentive, nothing was a bother and I was so impressed with their attention to detail including my wife's dietary requirements. Well done! The Spa is not quite finished (probably about September 2014) but I will certainly be returning very soon. The quality of the fixtures and fittings was impressive, the lounge is so peaceful with outstanding views of the loch.
This place is as good as any 5 star hotel I have stayed in but the welcome and feel of an exclusive and intimate boutique hotel. I wish them every success in the future. I will be visiting again.

Room Tip: Room at the back with the spectacular views of the Loch are a must.
Good afternoon Alex M!

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a fantastic review regarding your visit to Fonab Castle.

it's great to hear that your enjoyed all of our in room amenities and the was the staff looked after you.

We look forward to seeing you again.