“Just returned from an amazing weekend”
Review of Fonab Castle Hotel

Fonab Castle Hotel
Ranked #3 of 18 Hotels in Pitlochry
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Just returned from an amazing weekend”
Reviewed 11 March 2014 via mobile

My partner and I have just returned from Fonab Castle which he won on a website over Christmas. The Castle is perfect and no corners have been cut. The room is totally 5*. We had a woodland room with a balcony and a view across the loch. We had the most comfortable bed I have ever stayed in. It was the little touches that made it so special such as the nespreseo machine, the light in the walk in wardrobe and the attention to detail on the decor. The breakfast also lived up to expectation. We had a gorgeous smoothy to start and then the full works, looking out over the loch. We would like to give a special mention to Mike who went our of his way to make our trip special. We will be returning hopefully later in the year when the spa is open!!

• Stayed March 2014
FonabCastleHotel, Manager at Fonab Castle Hotel, responded to this review, 12 March 2014
Good morning!!

Thank you for leaving a review on our TripAdvisor page. We appreciate all of the kind comments and are glad you that enjoyed your stay with us here at Fonab.

We believe the wee touches and the staff go a long way to making the guest experience the best it can be and we are pleased that this helped make your stay.

We look forward to seeing you again.

Deputy General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (336)
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 March 2014 via mobile

My friend & I are away for a couple of nights on a girlie break in Pitlochry. We had heard about the Fonab Castle Hotel and made a point of finding it. We arrived at 4.30 to see what was on offer, intending that we may have an afternoon tea there before leaving on Wednesday. We were warmly greeted by Ian who offered to show us around. We asked to see the menus for a future visit and were encouraged to take our time and sit in the beautiful lounge/bar area. It is a lovely space with a spectacular view of the river. The large windows and gas fires on the tables add to the luxurious feel.
Having studied the menus and liking what we saw we decided to enjoy a glass of wine. There was a great selection to indulge in. As time went pleasantly by we chose to also eat in the brasserie. Delicious food and relaxed atmosphere. On paying the bill we asked the best route to walk back into the centre, the gentleman explained that it would be quite dark on the path down to the dam crossing but offered us a lift back in the hotels mini bus. Our driver was Ian who had given us such a friendly welcome. We are both planning to take our husbands for a return visit. Thank you to all the staff who were warm and friendly and made our visit so enjoyable.

Stayed March 2014
2 Thank hazel m m
FonabCastleHotel, Manager at Fonab Castle Hotel, responded to this review, 11 March 2014
Good afternoon Hazel m m.

Thank you for taking the time to leave a positive review on our page.

We are pleased to see that you were well looked after and enjoyed the beautiful scenery and facilities the hotel has to offer. The staff are wonderful and enjoy looking after our guests.

We look forward to seeing both yourselves and your husbands in the future. Please call us directly on 01796 470 140 for the Best Available Rates,

Kind regards,

Insch
Reviewed 10 March 2014

My wife and I just spent 2 nights at Fonab, staying in one of the Castle rooms.
I congratulate the owners for going all out to create an exceptional new hotel that has been very well thought out with real attention to detail. This place will doubtless establish itself amongst the better country hotels in Scotland. I think they've managed to pull off a finely balanced development, combining old-ish castle with modern additions that make the place bright, modern and useable, but still with character and substance.
The room was very nice, the bed comfortable, and the pillow selection allowed for any form of plucked wildfowl you could imagine. I'd agree with other commentators that some traffic noise could be heard from the castle roadside room, but then I'm a light sleeper and I can't really hold that against the hotel.
The castle could perhaps do with an alternative to the large, modern upstairs lounge bar area for post meal drinking. Somewhere that's more cosy and snug, perhaps the area at the bottom of the spiral staircase. I understand the fine-dining restaurant was a lounge area until a few weeks ago. Just a suggestion - most will be more than happy with the very swish lounge.

We ate one night in the brasserie and indulged in the fine-dining 7-course the following night. One the whole, the food was very good indeed. The brasserie was very good value for money, given the high quality of the food. The 7-course experience was indeed an experience. Some of the courses were excellent (Jerusalem Artichoke Cappuccino, Sea Bass, Scallop) - the rest were "all good". Salvatore, our attentive host, made the marathon 2 1/2 hr session pass with pleasure and good humour. At the risk of sounding like Greg Wallace, some dishes, like the asian spiced pork belly and braised ox cheek, could do with a bit more punch in the flavour - but I'm being nit-picky and doing what everyone does these days - espousing about food.
One thing I should not forget to mention - breakfast. We both love breakfast, Fonab did itself proud and we left full and happy. Great porridge, great french toast, great hollandaise. Great coffee too and a stunning setting to start the day.
Staff, in my experience, were all very friendly, welcoming and relaxed, whilst remaining professional and efficient. They definately made us both feel comfortable and looked after.
Keep it up. Well done and thanks. We'll hopefully be back.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank weegieloon
Good afternoon!!

Thank you for the amazing review. I have to say i'm loving the name "weegieloon!"

We have went out of our way to ensure that all the small important touches are there in our bed rooms and we are pleased to see that you enjoyed the pillow selection, room, food and service. Unfortunately we can't do much about the A9 and the windows can't be altered due to the castle be historically listed but, in saying this, we are pleased you understand. Currently the A9 is being resurfaced along the front of the castle grounds which has lead to increased noise, so hopefully this should make a huge difference once the works are complete in the not too distant future.

We look forward to seeing you again in the near future, hopefully and thank you again for the great review.

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 March 2014

Have just returned from an overnight stay which we received as a present from our son in Australia and must say everything was perfect from start to finish. We had a room in the castle and did not hear any traffic noises at all. We dined in the brasserie and the choices on the menu were varied. We both had fish cakes to start and then a chicken dish and a venison dish for mains. All were well presented and perfectly cooked. Breakfast in the morning is not the usual buffet style but waiter/waitress served from a large menu with a wide range of options. Staff all seemed friendly and helpful. So all in all a great experience.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
FonabCastleHotel, Manager at Fonab Castle Hotel, responded to this review, 10 March 2014
Good afternoon Ian P.

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review on our TripAdvisor page. We are really pleased to read about your positive experience here at Fonab and glad to hear you loved you room.

Breakfast is a major priority to us as its the most important meal of the day! We are glad that you enjoyed the varied menu and the service.

We look forward to seeing you again.

Perth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 March 2014 via mobile

Stayed in Castle room, this is a lovely room with a fantastic view, service was pleasant and efficient, they could not be more helpfull,
We walked up to golf course then back through town over bridge, past theatre and Dam to our hotel. We will be back and recommend to our friends.

Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Good afternoon Jimmy W.

Thank you for the review and the kind comments. We appreciate this.

It's great to see that you enjoyed your visit to Fonab and we look forward to welcoming you back.

Dunfermline, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 March 2014 via mobile

Fonab is a great hotel! The food was excellent! I dined in the fine dining area tonight and had the seven course meal. All of them were amazing but I have to single out the dessert which was a lovely, pistachio ice cream and a chocolate mousse ( I've forgotten). We sat across from the owners, who are really nice people. The staff are excellent!
As I only arrived at night and had dinner I've not seen the grounds and the view but I'm told its a great view. Hopefully I'll see it tomorrow...
Overall the hotel is absolutely virtuoso! Everything, right down to the handles on doors, is wonderful.

Can't wait to come back

Stayed March 2014
FonabCastleHotel, Manager at Fonab Castle Hotel, responded to this review, 8 March 2014
Good morning!!

Thank you for your great review. We are pleased that you enjoyed your experience of our hotel and Sandeman's fine dining.

We look forward to welcoming you back in a few months time and hope that you enjoyed the view in the morning!

Fife, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 March 2014

This is my second review for this hotel. I submitted one soon after we returned home but felt I was perhaps too harsh in my comments and asked for it to be withdrawn - after all you can't please all of the people all of the time. This hotel has obviously had a lot of money lavished on it and I would suspect its aimed at the higher end of the market but for me there was something missing. Was it the lack of atmosphere? Was it some of the quirky services they offered like accompanying you up to the bar but NOT giving you a dinner menu to peruse before your meal? Was it the décor? - the bar and brasserie overlook the "loch" but in the winter all you can see when you look out is black with your reflection looking back at you. Was it the annoying lack of shelving to store your toiletries in the shower room and the horrible toilet seat? Was it the noise from the A9 which continued into the night? (get a room overlooking the loch if you can!) or the way you couldn't put anything into the wardrobe until you had squeezed round the half open wardrobe door past the bed to get the other half door open? It was all just little things but for me it spoiled the whole experience and so I didn't think it was value for money. We paid £300 for one nights dinner, bed and breakfast in a castle signature room which faced the roadside.It advertises itself as a luxury castle - yes it is a castle and yes it is luxurious but for me I was left feeling underwhelmed and given that we were celebrating a special occasion, I felt it missed the mark. There were also some issues with the service like our table being cleared while my husband was still eating and the waitress at dinner not knowing what a liqueur coffee was but I'm sure that could be corrected with the right training. I don't know why they have chosen to use a tiny reception area and not the main front door but its cramped and overcrowded when people are trying to check in/out and there is luggage all over the place. The new wing is completely out of keeping with the old castle building so it spoils your arrival experience IMHO. Obviously my views are in the minority- its such a shame I couldn't be more positive, sorry!

Room Tip: Get a loch view room otherwise you will be kept awake by traffic noise late into the night or early...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
8 Thank woodybark
Good morning and thank you for leaving a review with your personal thoughts on Fonab Castle Hotel in which you stayed in February on our special rate of £180.00 Bed & Breakfast.

It's absolutely true that you cannot please everyone, however we take all comments on-board. Things like toilets seats and whether there is enough shelving are both personal choice comments and with consultation from Visit Scotland and the AA, both or whom are happy with our bedrooms, we realize this.

Regarding the outside annoyances that you encountered, we cannot alter the path of the A9 which runs along the front of the castle grounds, nor the castle facings (i.e the windows as these are all original) and also we cannot be held liable for it being dark outside when you were trying to view the loch at night from the Brasserie. We are however planning to light up the banking of the loch and trees which will help develop a focal point when it is dark outside in winter.

Regarding reception, we have to take into consideration the Fonab Castle is a Historically Listed building and we are forbidden to alter the physical facing of the castle. This is why the main door is not used as we cannot build a ramp for our disabled guests to enter here and the castle doors withing the main door are too narrow for wheelchair users. Due to Disability equality, we cannot make these guests travel another 25 yards to enter the building via a level entrance. The reception is sited where it is because it is central to the hotel and the restaurants therefore giving easy access to all guests and not just the ones who are able bodied or non residents. This is also where the elevator is for our restaurants and lounge bar.

In every restaurant in the world there are on going training issues and we are no different. We actively work with the staff on a day to day basis to ensure we give the best possible service. I have taken your two comments regarding this on board. Thank you.

We are sorry that you felt you stay was average and I thank you once again for your comments.

Deputy General Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pitlochry
Atholl Palace Hotel
Dunkeld House Hotel
Dunkeld House Hotel
#2 of 3 in Dunkeld
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,183 reviews

Been to Fonab Castle Hotel? Share your experiences!