“8th of July. A visit to the Edradour Distillery, and what the driver thought...” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Edradour Distillery

Alderley Edge, United Kingdom
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2014

I spent many hours looking at the different distilleries of Scotland and what special features made each one worth a visit. Edradour was firmly on the list for a tour by the passengers (my fine Scottish friend and Swedish friend, both of whom love the taste of the golden nectar).

The road sign from the main street in Pitlochry was not very easy to see (it took a second drive-by to see it) because of all the other signs from the shops, but obscured road signs are just part of Scotlands charm.

The car park sign was very clear, and straight away we could see the entrance with a greeter outside. The greeter was very friendly and welcoming, as to were all the other members of staff. Every question was answered in a polite and freindly manner.

The whisky drinkers really enjoyed the tour, priced at £6-50 and included two tastings (almost a full dram each) and a keepsake Edradour glass that one of the tastings came from. (the glass is worth £3-50 minimum based on the glasses for sale in most distillery shops).

As the driver, £5-00 was paid for me to go to the tasting room, where I waited for my friends to arrive so they could have my two drinks (valued at £2-50 each, or a payment of the difference if the drink had a higher value), but they finished their tour at the entrance way.

I had already paid £2-50 for a coffee (the price of the coffee included keeping the fantastic Edradour mug that it came in, and even a bag to put it in) and it turned out they had not recieved my two drinks.
We spoke with the greeter, and they immediately called the lady from behind the counter. It turned out that in our excitement we (or maybe just myself) had not listened to the instructions when the money was paid for the ticket; but at no point were we made to feel that we were at fault for the misunderstanding. The staff were very quick to refund the price of the coffee, and ensured that we had the 2nd drink.

The staff apologized even though it was not their doing, they remained friendly and helpful and at all times presented themselves as happy.

It was very clear that all the staff were very passionate about the customers, the distillery and their role within the distillery.

If I'm passing through that way again, I will pay £5-00 just for the mugs.

This was the only distillery on our tour that had something to offer like this; which was fantastic, as I was driving and coffee and a keepsake mug really made it special.

One hour twenty minutes from arrival to departure. Worth every minute.

Graz, Austria
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“the avaricious Scottish - here it's true!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2014

We booked the distillery tour. Haven't seen any other tour so we have no comparison, but there's really not a lot to see. One store of barrels, one room where it all happens. If distilling isn't more complex, ok, not their fault.
But we were really pissed off by their stinginess. They start the tour with presenting 3 different glasses with really tiny samples. But despite their tinyness they only allow you to try 2 of them. I thought it was a joke, but it wasn't.
Then they gratefully allow you to keep your glass as a present. This means they put the used glass in a plastic bag. No cleaning, no protection. So you carry this glass in that bag all through the tour. Why not give a fresh one at the end of the tour?
We wouldn't recommend this tour to anybody, unless you're a dedicated Edradour-love and want to see the home of your favourite whiskey.

1 Thank Richard G
Berkeley traveler
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“A must-visit for those on the whisky trail.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2014

We had a great tour and tasting at this very unique distillery. The tour starts with the tasting and a short video, and then takes you round the warehouses and well as the stills. End in the excellent gift shop.

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 36 helpful votes
“Charming small, independent distillery with excellent staff.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2014

Edradour is promoted as the smallest distillery in Scotland, and with it not being affiliated to the Diageo cartel, we thought it deserved a visit.

The facility does play to its strengths, always emphasising that it is small and unique. This is certainly apparent wherever you look.

The tour was excellent, with a relaxed tasting session preceeding an informative walkround of the manufacturing and storage areas. The staff were charming and informative, recognising their audience and ensuring that the everyone enjoyed the whole experience.

Before and after the tour, the whisky bar is not to be missed! With the bartender able to offer good recommendations whether you are a regular whisky drinker or just a beginner!

Those going on the tour were given a whisky glass to take home, which is a nice touch. Interestingly - and this may relate to many of us - I sometimes do not taste all the flavours of the whisky, certainly not as they are described by experts. However, when I returned home, I unpacked my free glass - which I had used to taste the whisky during the tour - and was amazed to smell so many of the wood flavours that come from the barrels during maturation! It was a fantastic experience and really topped off the day for me.

It is definately a distillery I hope to visit again,

Visited May 2014
Tewkesbury, United Kingdom
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 27 helpful votes
“loved the tour guide”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2014

tour run by an older gentleman who really knew his whisky and was very nice, wonder if he got his grass cut!!! lovely location and even bought some of the product home. booked the tour for hubbies birthday he loved it, would highly recommend and I don't like whisky!