Cuil-an-Daraich Guest House
  • Pool
Fisher's Hotel(Pitlochry)
Good 3.5/5
  • Breakfast included
All reviewspurple roomfour poster bedpoor houseb bstayed herehonesty barminute drivebreakfast roomtriple roomfull scottish breakfastlarge ensuitenice stayfriendly hostslovely viewlocal walksbreakfast was deliciousnice room
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 7 February 2011

This was booked last minute with my husband as a wee getaway for a change of scenery. We arrived at about 8pm outwith the 4pm - 7pm booking in time. We had phoned Rachael the owner to let her know. She was very welcoming and the room was very warm and cozy. The room itself was large and spacious and the facilities were fantastic. I have limited mobility and the room we had had its own entrance via french doors and also a wet room shower. We also had access to a sitting room for guests only which had a tv and dvd player and also a Wii which we were told we could use. We had a great nights sleep the room was immaculate and the beds very warm and comfortable. We were asked when we would like breakfast and the breakfast was delicious and of good quality. When my husband advised he had not been able to have a bath fora while due to my disability and the fact we have a wet room at home Rachael gave hime the keys of an unoccupied room for him to have a soak - a nice touch and very thoutful. We have used various B and B's over the years and it will be very diffucult to match the experience.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank msmileco
Reviewed 23 July 2010

Me and my husband stayed for one night Saturday coming back from Isle of Harris. We weren't sure if they did evening meals so rang when we arrived in Pitlochry, the lady explained the owner was away and we were the only people staying so evening meals were not on that night. We got some supplies and headed on to the Guest House. On arrival we were met with a friendly greeting by the owner's mum, showed us the 'Purple Room' which we had booked ahead. There is a lovely dining room, which she said we could use to eat our food we have brought with us and there was a selection of drinks on offer, you just needed to fill in the 'honesty book'. It was a warm evening and so chose to sit in the garden and have our food and drinks, with a very pleasant view. The room was very large and comfortable, with armchairs and an ensuite bathroom. Good quality bedding and towels, and lots of hot water, a bath with a view! The owner's mum checked with us that everything was ok and talked to us about the history of the building, which was fascinating looking at the old documents. There are many internal stairs but there is a room adapted for those with mobility difficulties on the entrance level although there are several steps to the entrance of the building. We had an excellent nights sleep and our host cooked us a most wonderful Scottish breakfast which we had in the spacious dining area. I will definately stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Burn-Rubber-1969
Reviewed 29 September 2009

My husband, his family and I had a really nice stay at Cuil-an-Daraich. The guest house was a 2-minute drive into Pitlochry which sits on truly stunning loches, rolling mountains and all good that is Scotland. The owner of the guest house was very kind and she makes a great Scottish breakfast. The rooms were simple and clean and the house sits on stunning land.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 September 2009

I stayed here for two nights in September and thought it was a great little place. I chose it from recommendations on tripadvisor and partially because it used to be the old poor house. I was doing some ancestry research in the area and had a fanciful idea that some of my ancestors might have been admitted!

It's a clean and atmospheric place with nicely decorated rooms and a friendly welcome. It's very quiet and you would need your own transport to get there. If you have your own car, though, you are laughing because it's about five minutes to Pitlochry, slightly longer to Aberfeldy and beyond to Loch Tay where you can find nice places for dinner and lots to do on days out.

Because of the building's past, it does have a slightly institutional air about it - only in the corridors, though, not in the room. I liked it because of this, although it may not be to everyone's taste! For sheer value for money, views, peace and quiet and a friendly welcome, it's worth every penny!

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled solo
1  Thank mossop79
Reviewed 2 August 2008

I stayed with Rachael and her family with my 10 year old daughter, for a week. Being a single parent, I found Rachael's family friendly and relaxed attitude very welcoming and she could not do enough for us - often going out of her way to make sure that we had everything that we needed.
The area is stunning - with lots of wildlife, walks and local festivals/days out - for example the Highland Games - which were fun. Rachael is very knowledgeable about family friendly days out and where to eat and drink in the evenings - and if you order an evening meal in advance (for only £15 for 3 courses plus tea and coffee) - you will not be disappointed with Rachael's home cooking and the generous portions that she serves up.
Also - her traditional Scottish breakfast is delicious and filling!

The room that we stayed in was lovely - the purple room - spacious with a DVD and TV and comfy armchairs. The beds were very comfortable - even my daughter agreed - and she is very fussy about her comfort levels!

The whole place was very clean and tidy with a lovely lounge that looks out over the rolling hills and the River Tay. Guests are encouraged to make use of the lounge and my daughter and I had great fun on the Nintendo Wii and choosing video's from the large selection. Being a healer herself - Rachael has a great selection of interesting books in the library too.

I will deffinately stay there again - and I have to say that compared to Cuil an daraich - the hotel that we stayed in the following week was stuffy and formal and not half as much fun!

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)