“Great place, really poor food and service”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Moulin Inn

Moulin Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Nightlife in Pitlochry
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Great place, really poor food and service”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2014

Sorry to say this as we were so looking forward to a weekend away without the children and climbing Ben Vrackie but honestly the food was seriously mediocre and the service embarrassingly and colloquially Scottish. This wee gem has the propensity to be totally fabulous. Simple but delicious food in beautiful surroundings and acres of charm but it needs to polish the food offering and everyone needs a huge lesson in smiling.

2 Thank murray w

Dundee, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“Not short on character!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2014

I had dinner here with my husband and my brother and I still haven't decided if I would go back or not.

The Moulin Inn is completely charming. It is exactly the kind of pub any tourist would love to stumble upon; low ceilings, dark wood and assorted clutter on all the wall. There are proper fires and the place is dog friendly - hill walkers dream!

We were served at the bar relatively quickly (for drinks and food) and didn't have too long to wait for the starters. I had the mussells to start with then macaroni cheese. I wasn't totally blown away by the food but it certainly filled a hole! My brother ( who is a chef) had the curry and commented that it tasted a little burnt (maybe he is being picky?) and my husband seemed pretty satisfied with his meal. I found the prices to be completely reasonable - a little cheaper actually than what I was expecting and service was pretty good.

I would happily visit again but I wasn't really bowled over by.

Visited February 2014
1 Thank Laura H
Kincardine
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Not bad....not great!!!!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2014 via mobile

Well, reputation in the food business is everything....
After a great day out exploring a number of attractions in Pitlochry, we called the Moulin Inn to check table availability, just walk in, and we will get you served, a very polite staff member told us. So we walked from the town centre to the inn, in 20 minutes, got a free table and I headed for the bar....first disappointment! Overlooked service on 3 occasions in favour of what was obviously the drinking locals...not a good start, when eventually served a drink I had to either pay for it right away, or leave my credit card ....or car keys...lol, in a glass behind the bar as security. I didn't really mind that..actually yes I did, I felt insulted and mistrusted, never mind, I know from reputation the food and service is great and it will all be worthwhile. I ordered mussel starter, rabbit stew for mains from the special board. Starter arrived after a very reasonable 8-10 minutes, however I feel certain that the mussels were cooked for all of that 8 minutes, rubber balls with the beards still on in more than half of them...there is no excuse for leaving the beards on other than laziness. As for the rabbit stew ....well a real mixed bag some beautiful tender pieces mixed with chewy, gristle and the odd bone!, it made very little sense, badly prepared or badly cooked ...stock was bland, under seasoned and far to,thin for adopter stew..not much else I can add....menu looks great, but delivery is lacking, and this place thrives on reputation alone. Staff are disinterested, unattentive, and bordering on rude! ......I doubt I will return

3 Thank Paul F
Coatbridge, Scotland, United Kingdom
41 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 60 helpful votes
“Good, cosy pub”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 March 2014

We were visiting Pitlochry and were looking for somewhere to eat where the dog was allowed and this place was recommended. It is a bit out from Pitlochry in a little village called Moulin, around a 15-20 minute walk or a 2 minute drive. Place was very cosy, staff were friendly and food was really good! everyone in my group enjoyed it. Even got a dessert which was beautiful. Was that good we had trouble getting the dog to leave in the end! Would definitely go back.

Southampton, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Great location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 March 2014 via mobile

Stayed in the annex. Brilliant for young family and grandparents. Dangerously close to the Inn and their fantastic Ale of athol.
Will stay again.