“Summer coach holiday”

Ranked #9 of 18 Hotels in Pitlochry
Blackburn, United Kingdom
“Summer coach holiday”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 January 2012

Staff friendly & efficient. Food good choice and plentiful, quick service by pleasant waiters. Choice of meal times and tables of choice despite being with a coach party. Entertainment every night. Room although a single was large and comfortable if a little dated. Only problem it overlooked the kitchen and waste bin area which made it a bit noisy at times. Access for me as a disabled person was good. Not convenient to town centre for elderly or disabled but taxis were cheap. Would go again without any qualms.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank doric78
PitlochryHydro, General Manager at The Pitlochry Hydro Hotel, responded to this review, 3 February 2012
Thanks for the post. I note that this was from a holiday last summer and I am delighted you still posted after all this time. Try us in the winter too, it's stunning up here at the moment! Thanks again.
Chris Stanton

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (266)
UK
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 January 2012

Arrived about 10 minutes after booking on laterooms. Not a great price, but for what we got, I think it was fair. We arrived late on, so did not have dinner, and therefore cannot comment on that aspect of the hotel.

The reception and bar area are quite newly refurbished from the looks of things. There was entertainment on when we arrived, and a few people enjoying it, but nothing we were interested in, so it was nice that there was an area further away from this for us to look at what we would be doing tomorrow, while enjoying a couple of glasses of reasonably priced wine, and using the free wifi.

The room we were allocated was a large room, and I had been warned that I would need to put the heating on, so the fact that the room was cold was not a problem, especially as I despise overheated hotel rooms!

It was however quite dated, but I understand that there is a programme of refurbishment. So this won't be an issue for long. The bathroom was clean, but very shabby. Again, the refurbishments will take care of this. Oh, and the bed was very comfy (after reading a few reviews on here, we were worried - but think it may be a brand new bed)!

Breakfast was well presented, with attentive staff, and all the staff we met clearly work very hard, and were cheerful in their dispositions.

All in all, I would say that while not being the best hotel in the world, we paid a very good rate and received excellent service, and what more could you ask for? Once the hotel has undergone the rest of the refurbishments, I have no doubt that it will be a jewel in Pitlochry's crown, especially if they look after those members of staff we met (especially the lovely gentleman who checked us in - white hair - seems to be ALWAYS there!!!!)

2 Thank bigjuicygrasshopper
Thanks, a very fair and considered review. First of all I will pass on your regards to Frank who I can assure you does get the occassional day off ! Honest, he's bigger than me !! We are always investing here and there and we have some rooms scheduled to get a full upgrade within a couple of months. Thanks for taking the time to post.....we appreciate it.
Tayport, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 January 2012

We booked a one night stay in January just to get away for a wee break. The hotel is ver spacious and the building itself is impressive. Overall the decor is very good. The pool was lovely and for once the water wasn't too warm. The chaging rooms are very tired and need upgarding. Our room was very cold at first but it did heat up, The bathroom was like an ice box with only an old barely working towel rail to heat it up. The hotel has a nice setting though and is close to Pitlochry town. Breakfast is only on for an hour on Sunday morning and it closed promptly at 9.30. I have never seen a buffet counter cleared so quickly by staff. Too bad for latecomers. Not that there was much on the buffet anyway. There was an old fashioned singer in the lounge on the Saturday night. It's not a place for the under 50s really.

Room Tip: Don;t go if you want a weekend lie in. Breakfast only till half nine on a Sunday. Lots of bars and r...
2 Thank heather_suds
Thanks for the review, we shortened the length of breakfast due to being so quiet at this time of year with intentions to create a bit of ambience in a large dining area. I can promise you we have had our heating on full blast to ensure our guests comfort but it has been particularly cold on random nights. Hopefully you will try us again.
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 January 2012

horrible hotel was shocked at the rooms the bed was like a slab of concrete and the decor was from a b+b blackpool style feezing cold with no heating and minus 2 . we were offered another room unfortunatly this was of the same standard poor .we were offered an upgrade from avery flustered and tired manager for an additional cost of 100 pounds raising the grand total to 300 pounds for two nights bringing it on par with the more luxurious 4 star hotels in the area .the hotel is dirty dated and extremely deppressing the staff are on a dont care attitude and i was glad to leave never to return . this is the first ever reveiw i have written on a hotel only because i feel the need to let people know just how bad it was , fortunatly i went to another near by hotel atholl palace 4 star greated by smiling faces roaring log fires and a beautifull room with all mod cons far more superior fantastic all for the same price so my advise is look before you book and give this poor hydro hotel a wide berth to avoid a horrible weekend with your loved ones !

Room Tip: dont go elsewhere
5 Thank roy g
Well......................it is very tempting to retaliate here as I have a very different version of events from long serving members of staff. I suppose we will just have to accept that every now and then this will happen! With nearly forty thousand bednights sold per year at this Hotel we record very few 'horrible' posts as a percentage and I remain extremely proud of my staff who have to contend with some difficult customers on rare occasions such as this.
Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 December 2011

Had a wonderfull stay at this hotel staff were so kind and helpfull.The health suit and gym were out of this world .Just to far away from glasgow to travel to never been on one of these cwest coast holidays would go again i cannot drive have to depend on someone to take me they have one in Talbert does not have a health suit and two in England to far away for me has i have to use a stick to walk .Would love to go back maybe in the spring or summer it is a lovely place .It was so nice when the snow fell but not good for driving .I cannot say anymore about all the staff they were so wonderfull.My brother had just died so my two sonsand my daughterinlaws booked it for me and lurette my daughter in law can drive she had to drive from largs to Glasgow to pick me up so it was about four hours drive for her .We stopped in a nice we place had a coffee and a toilet break to stretch my legs for about half an hour .If you have any more special offers e.mail them to me my E.Mail is ellie1952@hotmail.co.uk . Thankyou for a few relaxing days and the food was excellent .Only one complaint the bar prices were so high £2 for a can of cola And £FIVE POUND FIFTHY FOR A GLASS OF WINE / wine which we can buy in supermarkrt for £5 a bottle and whisky was a joke the price of it went into town to taste malts of the month glenmorange was only £2.75pence in other hotels.Which had log burning fires the hotel was cold it is set on a timer which is not good when it is freezing outside had to wear my winter jacket inside hotel as it was so cols that is why we went out to other hotels to get warm which they were .Enjoyed my stay Helen Hirshall Glasgow .I went in december and heated towel rails still not working so bathroom was freezing .

Room Tip: The smaller rooms are nice and warm.Have photos of my room have to wait till my son or daughterinlaw...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
PitlochryHydro, General Manager at The Pitlochry Hydro Hotel, responded to this review, 18 January 2012
Hi, Lovely to see such a positive review on all but a couple of counts. I really do believe we are competitively priced at our bar considering we have live entertainment, the vast majority of our competition charge more than us. We make every effort to ensure our customers comfort too and will look into why you might have felt cold when I wasn't aware of any problems. Hope to see you again soon and thanks for a very nice post.
St Albans, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 December 2011

The updated rooms in the hotel are fine, but those which have not been updated are depressing to stay in. The room I stayed in was dirty - particularly the bathroom.
Food was average with generally good service from the young waiting staff; sadly the restaurant manager seems to confuse sarcasm with wit!

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank A B
Hi, Ive checked out the offending room and given it a lick of paint that it needed. This fell under the radar and it is fair comment to be a little dissapointed. Should you try us again get in touch and I will personally ensure there will not be a repeat performance.
Thanks
Chester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 December 2011

Enjoyed our four night break here, and our first coach holiday experience. Our room was clean and spacious but we were lead to believe we paid a supplement for a superior room, but the receptionist told us we had infact only paid for a scenic view room, the view was over the carpark, so we wouldnt be mislead into that again. Dining room staff were excellent, has so was Bill the night porter, a very helpful and friendly man that could not do enough for you.
Would also like to mention colin our coach driver, we went on some lovely excursions, and Colin was a brilliant tour guide.Met some nice people at the hotel. The only down side of the holiday for us was that we were on a inclusive break, with the drinks being free and one of the bar staff, seemed to have a problem with this, her attitude was hostile and she closed the bar early one night, but it wouldnt put us off going back.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank CaroleH1959
Hello, You are more than welcome to come back anytime you like ! I will pass on your comments to the staff and of course Colin, your coach driver. Yes, we have a variety of different rooms from a standard to a 'suite' Premier Room. Next time you book give us a call and we can go through your options.
Best Regards