The Pitlochry Hydro Hotel
  • Breakfast included
Dundarach Hotel(Pitlochry)
Pine Trees Hotel(Pitlochry)
View Hotel
All reviewsself driveshearings hotelsscenic viewcoach holidaycaledonian travelshearings breakmanager chrisdining rooma la carte menujacuzzi and saunacoach driverleisure facilitiesfolk singerevening entertainmentsuperior roomhalf boardrestaurant manager
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 28 May 2012

We went on a five day coach tour with Ulster Bus to the above hotel it was set in beautiful countryside with views over Pitlochry. The food was not good, the room was ok the bathroom was a bit tired, ie the grouting on some of the tiles was black and the tile rail was hanging off the wall. The coach tour was first class.

Room Tip: Book an upgrade for the room. The four stars for value relate to the tour.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
PitlochryHydro, General Manager at The Pitlochry Hydro Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 May 2012

Hello, Sorry we didn't quite meet your expectations with regards to your recent holiday here. It is very rare that our food falls short of what our customers expect....I have just looked back at comment card analysis from the week you were here and found that the vast majority of customers gave us excellent and good scores with just two fairs recorded. Having said that I have taken on board the comments you have made and raised them at our staff meeting today. Our intentions are to satisfy everyone who comes here.
Regards

Reviewed 25 May 2012

just spent four days at the pitlochry hydro we had a great time we were in a premier room
it was a good size it had every thing needed and was very comortable
the food was very good agood selection ,the staff were very helpful
it has anice pool

Room Tip: premier rooms have great views
2  Thank dennisEdinburgh
PitlochryHydro, General Manager at The Pitlochry Hydro Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 May 2012

Hello,
Thanks enormously for a great review it really does mean a lot. We are forever checking trip advisor to see comments our customers post and I can promise you that when we see nice reviews it gives us all a boost. Glad you enjoyed one of our premier rooms and the leisure facilities were utilised by you.
See you again.

Reviewed 17 May 2012

We stayed here as part of a Sports Tour package for the Etape Caledonia.

It looks as if the hotel is being decorated from the ground up-the lounge/bar/dining room was lovely with a good atmosphere, however our room was from the 1970's! In saying that, it was spacious, had everything we required and had a comfy bed, but it was pretty tired looking and the windows let in a fair amount of air with rather inefficient heating.

All the staff were lovely and couldn't have done more to help which was nice.

The food was OK-I think good value for money as part of our package and a good selection, but the portion sizes were a little small and iit all arrived v quickly, meaning you'd had a full 3 course meal within 30 minutes.

Gym & pool were good.

Location for us was excellent, but if limited mobility, it's 'up the hill' which might not suit everyone.

All in all, we felt we had a good value for money package and would not fault the Hydro, but it would not be our choice for a special weekend away.

Room Tip: I believe rooms on the first floor have been modernised recently, but carry a premium price
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank Jen7ify
PitlochryHydro, General Manager at The Pitlochry Hydro Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 May 2012

Hello there and thanks for posing a review. There is no question that the Etape Caledonia has become a unique weekend for us. Two years ago we had half a dozen cyclists, then last year about thirty and this year at least eighty or so.......
I think we, as a team, have adapted well in order to cater for everyone and provide a hospitable base to prepare for the race. I'm glad you enjoyed our leisure facilities and felt the staff worked hard for you all. I'm guessing it will be the same next year which will, of course, be here before we know it.
Thanks Again

Reviewed 17 May 2012

Posted by Mrs Bronxglenn. I recently took my mother and sister for a weekend as it was my mothers 90 birthday. Delighted with our rooms, the service and the food was just excellent. This place seems to be run professionally, a comment that can not be said about other Shearings hotels ( ESPECIALLY IN OBAN ) and we have been in quite a few.
The manager at Pitlochry could teach the other Shearing hotels how to run a hotel properly. It's definetly the best Shearings hotel we've ever been in.

Room Tip: Upgrade your room. It's well worth a few pounds extra.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Bronxglenn

Hiya, well thank you very much. I'm pleased everything went well and your Mum's birthday celebrations were a success. Thanks for your very kind words....I'm extremely flattered ! hope to see you again sometime.
Best Regards
Chris

Reviewed 12 May 2012

We have just returned from staying at the Hydro for four nights in a Superior room. I didn't see what the standard rooms were like so I can't really compare, however, our room, although past it's best, was large, comfortable and had fantastice views and it had a nice feel about it. The bed was comfortable and there was plenty of tea, coffee and hot chocolate which was replenished every day (I hate it when they are stingy with things like that). We used the pool, sauna and hot tub on two mornings before we had our breakfast. We thought that the pool area was very nice - the pool being a reasonable size and not too busy that early on.
The hotel is used mainly by Shearings Coach trippers, so the clientele are a little bit older that you would get on an 18 - 30's holiday, if you know what I mean. Having said that, everyone was really friendly and the atmosphere was very relaxed. No noise or rowdiness, which to be honest, we appreciated and we certainly met some lovely people during our stay.
We thought that the food was very good and there was a good choice each day. The restaraunt never seemed overly busy, either at breakfast or at dinner. You need to select a time slot for dinner, but we didn't have a problem with that at all. the service was very efficient and quick.
The Hotel seemed very clean and well run, and without excepton the staff were excellent. They were cheerful, professional and friendly. We would like to return, as we loved the area and thought that this hotel was excellent.
Just a few words about the local area. Pitlochry is a really beautiful place and if you like walking there are lots of lovely routes. The area down by the river is very scenic and not to be missed. We printed off some walks from www.highlandwalks.com and they were excellent. The walk to Blackspout was really lovely (its a waterfall through some woods) and that took a steady two hours. I would also recommed the Auld Smithy in the highstreet for a drink and a spot of lunch. It's really done out nicely inside and the food was very good.
Last but not least I wanted to mention our coach driver, Gordon. His lovely sense of humour and informative commentary were excellent, so we wanted to say an extra thanks to him.

2  Thank luckylane
PitlochryHydro, General Manager at The Pitlochry Hydro Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 May 2012

Hello There,
Well we are all thrilled with your review.....you have picked up on many of the qualities we pride ourselves on and it gives us all a boost when such kind words are written. Gordon is an excellent driver with lots of local knowledge and I will certainly pass on your comments to him.
I'm out in the black spout woods daily with my dog and you are right....its a special place!
Hopefully you will come again and remember, Pitlochry has a certain charm whatever the season! Thanks again for a lovely review.