“Relaxing”

Ranked #10 of 18 Hotels in Pitlochry
Liverpool
“Relaxing”
Reviewed 28 August 2012

We travelled with Shearings and unfortunately the driver had not been on the tour before. Colin the usual driver travelled on the coach as he was going home and told us and the driver about the local area. All staff were generally helpful especially the dining staff. Our room was a good size but in need of upgrading. We found reviews we had read before going to be accurate. We would go there again but hope all rooms to be upgraded by then.

• Stayed August 2012
PitlochryHydro, General Manager at The Pitlochry Hydro Hotel, responded to this review, 29 August 2012
Hi there and thanks very much for writing our 200th review on trip advisor. I was hoping for a positive one and we got it. I'm glad you had a relaxing break and everything was in place for you. Our standard rooms are part of a company wide programme of refurbishment that is on going throughout each year..... a bit of a mouthful but hopefully explains in a sentence what we are trying to achieve.
Colin had been on Olympic duties down south and has just returned to resume his normal routine.
Again, thanks for being our 200th reviewer......you don't win a prize but I will buy you a drink if you come up again.
Best Regards
GM

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (284)
county durham
Reviewed 26 August 2012

We got a great deal for our 4 night stay by booking direct with the hotel. Main areas of hotel including Pool area were very nice but the bedroom we had would benefit from a make over although very clean. Breakfast was very nice plenty of choice evening meals were OK . Entertainment was on for 2 nights pretty average and traditional to the area. Staff friendly and helpful. Great location to explore a beautiful picturesque area. Happy with the hotel considering how much we paid and they must be doing something right as there seemed to be a lot of repeat visitors enjoying their stay.

Room Tip: Go for a upgrade as rooms appear to have been updated
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
PitlochryHydro, General Manager at The Pitlochry Hydro Hotel, responded to this review, 28 August 2012
Hi, thanks for your review and for stating this was a good value break. I'm glad you found the staff pleasent and everything was to your satisfaction.
Best regards
Livingston, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 August 2012

We stayed in this hotel after finding it on the Internet. I really wish the Internet had been down that night. From the outside the hotel looked ok apart from the smoking area right outside the main entrance with what looked like rab c nesbit and his friends puffing away. When we checked in the receptionist was very friendly and explained what we needed to know. Breakfast times etc. She then gave us our room key attached to the biggest key fob in he world. This should really have been a clue. I can't remember the last hotel I stayed in that still used keys instead of key cards. We got to our so called "superior room* which was in my opinion average at best. If that was superior I'm glad we never got a standard room. The walls were all marked, the bathroom tiny with a shower you had to run around in to get wet. The tv could only get one channel unless you like watching snow. To be fair the bed was actually pretty comfortable though and the view from the window was really nice. Breakfast the next morning was pretty poor. We were directed to the buffet where there were the remnants of some fruit and a tiny container of cereal. Eventually someone else came to take our order for a cooked breakfast which when it eventually arrived was lukewarm. Considering we paid £260 for two nights b&b in this superior room we were both extremely disappointed. We were going to say something when we checked out except there was nobody at reception to give feedback to. Finally if you are under 40 I would steer clear of this hotel as we the youngest there by some considerable distance. It kind of reminded me of a retirement home. All in all a very disappointing experience from a hotel in a fantastic location that has so much more potential.

• Stayed August 2012
1 Thank markwlove
Hello there, I'm sorry that this Hotel has not reached your expectations and you felt it didn't represent good value for money. Our customer profile changes dramatically week to week depending on all sorts of reasons and what events are happening locally. I value each and every one of them and attempt to please as many of them as I can considering the scale of our operation and the various expectations each customer has.
Your comments have already been discussed with the team who will always try to learn what our customers expect and how we can deliver that moving forward.
Thanks for the review, trip advisor comments have become top of the weekly meeting agenda these days and will ultimately help us in the long term.
Aberdeenshire
Reviewed 21 August 2012

Last stayed here in 2008, there have been a few changes. The public areas have all been updated and look very nice. Some bedrooms have also been renovated but these are only available if you upgrade to Superior or Premier rooms. We stayed in a standard room and it was certainly looking a bit tired - holes in sheets on bed for instance. Bathroom clean but as per room needed renovating.

We stayed half board and the meals were as we expected - plain fare and well enough cooked. The table d'hote menu has only 3 choices per course so could be a bit restrictive for some people. Perhaps this is to encourage people to upgrade to the a la carte menu?

A pretty average singer "entertained" on Saturday night.

I guess what made the hotel were the staff - they were excellent. We saw the same staff for the 3 days that we stayed there and they did look a bit short staffed. Could not fault them at all, very friendly and efficient.

We paid £129pp for the 3 nights dinner b&b, so on that basis it was pretty good value but they really need to renovate the remainder of the rooms.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
PitlochryHydro, General Manager at The Pitlochry Hydro Hotel, responded to this review, 24 August 2012
Hi, thanks for your comments.I'm glad you think you have had value for money, so many customers tell me exactly that and I wish they would come on trip advisor and say so like you have done. We have a rolling programme in terms of refurbishing accommodation and have recently completed five standard rooms.
Thanks again for your comments and I hope you consider us again.
Best regards
Huddersfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 August 2012

We stayed at the Hydro with Shearings, all the staff were very friendly and helpful, our room was large and comfortable, bathroom was lovely and clean, the only thing wrong was that we felt the fan was too noisy! We had a lovely TV but kept losing signal and could only get main 3 channels. Meal times were great for us as you could book a time for your evening meal, between 6 and 8 p.m. Lovely pool and jacuzzi!
Could have done with more entertainment as we only had the singer/guitarist on Thursday evening, I believe there was someone on Tuesday evening but we were at the Tattoo. Would have liked something on Monday when we arrived and Wednesday.
Cannot fault the area at all, we had a wonderful holiday.

Room Tip: We booked a superior room
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
PitlochryHydro, General Manager at The Pitlochry Hydro Hotel, responded to this review, 21 August 2012
Hi, thanks for your review. It's great that you have identified our staff as being friendly. We all work very hard and it is nice to be acknowledged. I will check your tv and the extractor fan right away and get them sorted. Glad you enjoyed our leisure club and hope to see you here again.
Best Regards
Hampshire
Reviewed 20 August 2012

We took advantage of the three nights for two B & B offer.We got a room with a view but the windows were painted shut so it got quite stuffy in there.Breakfast the first morning was spoiled by what looked like green on the ham.We pointed this out to the staff and they didn't say anything at all.The showers in the 'spa' were quite grubby,taps and shower units seen better days...lots of suspicious black stuff around the cubicles,both in our room and in the spa.Found a very good breakfast place in town though.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
Hello, sorry things were not quite right for you during your recent stay. I will, of course, investigate the matters raised and hope you will consider us again.
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 August 2012

With so many accommodation options in Pitlochry we chose this one because of all the positive reviews on here plus the hotel general manager Chris Stanton had made such an effort to address ever single review gripe (or positive) that any person had posted.

Well sorry Mr Stanton but here's another gripe!

What is with the abomination of food in your hotel?! Seriously, that wasn't even close to the worst school cafeteria food in one of those Jamie Oliver's school food exposé.

Our excursion into food hell began on Friday night . We had booked half board so had a set menu. Their were choices that appealed to both of us so we ordered the Chorizo and Potato Frittata for entree and Spinach and Ricotta Cannelloni and Breaded Fish for mains.

Our order was taken for wine, entrees and mains. Less than 30 seconds later (I kid you not! I know people always exaggerate timings on here but it came out that fast. How could an entree come out so fast? Had it had been sitting in the kitchen for the last two hours just waiting for us? Kudos to the waiter and his speed of service, but the frittata was old, tasteless, and tired looking. We couldn't finish a second bite. Now that's not an exaggeration. It's like it was undercooked and then left out for 2 days. It tasted like it was cooked with out of date eggs.

The barely eaten entree was taken away and we reminded our waiter about the wine we ordered 20 minutes ago.

Although not 30 seconds this time, we had 2 minutes between 'finishing' an entree to getting our mains.

Started to think - do they want us out of the restaurant..?

So here we are looking at another set of unappetising food. Again, it all tasted like it had been bulk made 4 hours ago and then sat under a desk lamp to keep it 'warm'. The wine still hadn't arrived. We had to ask for the wine again but this time we shouted it. Not because we were angry, but because of the noise of 5 staff members around cleaning up tables around us. We couldnt hear a thing.

It was probably best they were also using industrial strength chemicals to clean the tables because that smell covered the whole restaurant (to possibly mask the smell of the food?)

So we couldn't do it. The prepaid set menu wasn't for us. No effort had been made cooking that food. No amount of salt or pepper could salvage that dinner. We asked to speak to the manager who came out, listened to our complaint and was kind enough to remind us that this 'is only a 3 star hotel - what do you expect?'. True, I agree to some extent and that we took a risk with the half board. So - I asked for the menus again and said I'm happy to pay for the upgrade and eat from the proper menu - actually I said i'd be happy to pay extra for new meals - not just the upgrade price. 'okay but I'll just have to check that the kitchen is still open' said the manager. Wait. It's 8pm on a Friday night and you're telling me the kitchen might be closed, and you don't want me to spend anymore of my money with you? Yep! Come earlier next time - we were advised. Sorry but I'm not 70yrs old and 8pm isn't past my bedtime.

So that was it, we had a near full bottle of wine and no dinner so thought why not set up shop in the lounge with our wine and a bag of crisps.

As we walked out the manager was fielding a entire table of complaints about the food. Poor chap, I did feel sorry for him, but I'm sure their complaint was justified. Their food looked as inedible as ours.

The lounges are nice (i think recently refurbished). We chose a seat a bit close too the front desk though, as the noise of another chap berating the lady on front desk about a complaint with his room went on for 20 minutes.

The next day was our first breakfast and as we sat down the lady at the next table was complaining to a waitress about her food. Okay we're really not feeling this. Let's just get coffee and get out!

Even though we had paid for it, we both decided not to eat in the restaurant that night. Instead we went to the Old Mill Inn in town. I've attached a photo of our meal to show other people. I'm kicking myself for not photographing our meal at your hotel - to give a fair comparison.
But can I just say, you charge the same price for main evening dinner meals as the Old Mill yet your meals are nowhere in the same league. We spent £60 there for full meals and wine - amazing local food. Money that we would have happily spent at our hotel had it been of the same quality - or had we been able to order anything else!

We did attempt breakfast on the second day. Oh god no! A sea of complaining could he heard when we walked in. Apparently everyone in the hotel was rude enough to want breakfast at the same time and the kitchen (1 chef I overheard a waiter say) wasn't coping with the demand. I was okay, it was early and I wanted a coffee to slowly wake me up. Service was slow, not as bad as all the overreacting British whiners were saying it was and the staff were trying their best. We had the full English and full vegetarian English breakfast. It would have been nice to have a veggie sausage (they ran out) and warm toast that's not burnt) but otherwise, an English breakfast is always what it is, unremarkable. But the complaining in that place! Every table all around us, either about the food or the service. How do you get a basic English breakfast wrong?! We had to get out.

Mr Stanton, in all seriousness. You have a nice hotel. It was okay standard for a 3 star and it would appear you are passionate about your work...but the food. Something major needs to be done about that restaurant. It just doesn't work. Please don't put me in the same category of a stereotypical hotel complainer and write me off. I'm not. And i'm not asking for anything in return, we don't want it. What we really wanted was to enjoy the place but its hard when the entire place is a sea of negativity and complaints, with 90% of them about the food. Fix that and it really would be a nice place to stay. I also apologise for my long rant - but I really did want to enjoy myself in your hotel.

A final note though. Kudos to your staff for maintaining their composure and dignity. It must be hard to get out of bed every day knowing you're in for another shift full of complaints and customer abuse - over things that are out of their control.

Good Luck with the hotel in the future.

Room Tip: We paid extra for a Superior Room plus extra for a view. Would recommend this as we had a glimpse o...
8 Thank Jimmy B
PitlochryHydro, General Manager at The Pitlochry Hydro Hotel, responded to this review, 22 August 2012
Hi there,
I think the first thing I want to do here is let you know that I wont put you in any particular category and write you off in any way. I have read through your post a number of times and no matter how many more times I read it it doesnt change......theres still a disgruntled customer who had a poor experience at this Hotel. I'm glad you have read through our other posts and have acknowledged we generally do very well here and appreciated that I respond to them all too. You will have noted that I never use excuses and accept full responsibility for the way this Hotel operates, this was a tough weekend and on 'some' counts, regardless of your review, I knew we fell short of our usual standards.
To address your review in full would be difficult and I am not going to attempt it, however, there is enough there to demand that we all get together and review it as a team and try to work out how a customer, and in this case customers, felt this way about us. We will have an open and honest discussion and I can promise you that far from dismiss your comments we will tackle them head on and perhaps learn something from them.
Thanks for your review, its a slap in the face, but one we might benefit from in the long term. We don't want a single customer to feel this way about us.