“What a change! pity it's for the worse!!” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Pitlochry Hydro Hotel

The Pitlochry Hydro Hotel
Ranked #9 of 18 Hotels in Pitlochry
Wales
“What a change! pity it's for the worse!!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 October 2012

Stayed at this hotel may times and have always enjoyed it very much, fact recommended to many friends. The staff are all really excellent, friendly and very helpful. Th big change is in the quality of the food, a very limited menu of included dishes at dinner which are of a very low quality. True, there is now quite an extensive al la carte menu from which you get a discount but compared to other eateries closeby is quite expensive! We found it better to eat out of the hotel, so paid twice for dinner. Will not be returning.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
PitlochryHydro, General Manager at The Pitlochry Hydro Hotel, responded to this review, 12 October 2012
Hi, Well I did speak to you about the various changes the business has had over the last few months and I have taken on board your comments with regards food. I am surprised that with every other aspect of your stay being rated at four stars and above you chose to give us a two star review. I strongly believe that this Hotel offers exceptional value for money and the vast majority of our customers feel this way too.
Chris Stanton

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (262)
Watford,Herts
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 October 2012

My first Shearings Holiday since 2009,and possibly my last
i had already told Shearings special help desk on booking that had a NUT ALLERGY and could not eat anything that had nuts in it or had been cooked in nut oils due to ANAPHYLACTIC SHOCK which i had in 2010.
I confirmed this later with Shearings and received a reply -stating that they had checked my booking and the Hotel would be aware of this-so there should be no problems.
when checking in i spoke to the Assistant Manager about this,However i was under the impression that they did not no or were told about this Nut Allergy
she did know what anaphylactic shock was-i was asked to look at the Table de hote menu.and
decided to have the ROAST BEEF later that evening.
i booked dinner for 7.45-all i can say it was not ROAST BEEF it tasted and looked like a FROZEN READY MEAL-Aunt Bessie?
Next Morning i went down to Breakfast @ 8am.went into the restaurant and helped myself to
cereal/Fuit Juice etc, found a table for 2 and sat down-i was then told off by the restaurant manager for not waiting to seated!!.Breakfast was the usual Shearings standard
cooked earlier and plated up and left on a hot plate.The fruit juice was not watered down this time-the ice cubes in the jugs gave you a clue it was watered down orange squash!!
after Breakfast i booked Dinner for 7.15-i did want 7.00 but they were booked up @ 8.20am!!
@ 7.15 i was shown to a table where there were 2 other Men from the Yorkshire coach halfway through their main course of Beef Cassorole with roast potatoes.i then had the WORST DINING EXPERIENCE EVER-I had the Vegeterian Pasta Bake which was the size of a starter.3 course
meal in 15 mins- in 7.15,out at 7.30!!
Spoke to the Restaurant Manager & Hotel Manager about this and the limited TABLE DE HOTE MENU.There were 3 starters,3 Mains & 3 Deserts.also no info on the menu about allergies etc.
i was told that if i wanted to sit alone -then i should have made it clear when booking a table.
another clue here if you book a table for one you would expect just that.
There was an A-LA-CARTE MENU,you had to pay extra for this (£3.00 off sarters/deserts and £6.00 off mains).I also told them about my nut allergy-I was under the impression that they were not interested..
I therefore decided to not to bother with Evening Dinner anymore,so ate out instead.
there were many on my coach who were not happy the food quality etc.
on a postive side the rooms where okay but they did not have the extras that other hotels provide
you did have flatscreen TV with limited freeview channels,and lots of creakly floorboards.
I will not be returning to the Pilochry Hydro or any other Coast and Country & Bay Hotels

• Stayed September 2012, travelled solo
6 Thank PeterWatford_Herts
PitlochryHydro, General Manager at The Pitlochry Hydro Hotel, responded to this review, 3 October 2012
Hi, Well having spoke to you I really don't think there is a more disappointed man in Britain ! Everything seemed to be wrong, nothing about our product did you seem to like and there appeared to be nothing we could do about it. You were fuming about something I considered to be a small oversight and it came across loud and clear that you objected to investing in our a la carte menu.
All things considered it is never nice to see a customer leave our Hotel disgruntled but I honestly believe that we didn't have a chance with you and you had made your mind up on day one that things were not to you satisfaction and would remain so....
Gillingham, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 September 2012

We were allocated Room 102 on arrival and we stayed in it a total of 15 minutes. The room was dark and cold and turning on the lights certainly did not help. There was no chest of drawers in the room and of the 2 small drawers in the dressing table, the white liner looked like the mice had been having a feast. I opened the wardrobe to see if it had any drawers and the door came off the top and middle hinges. I reluctantly laid on the bed to test it and the mattress was so old I could feel the divan base. When we complained the manageress then allocated us Room 118 which was much better but she did warn us we would only be allowed to stay in it one night. I tested the room by opening the wardrobe and the door came off the bottom hinge and the top of the wardrobe was screwed to the wall as it was leaning forward. The shower is really lovely. Room 105 was our third and final room which had been "recently refurbished". On first glance it was lovely. The beds were quite comfy, there were no stains on the carpet and the wardrobe doors all stayed connected to their hinges. Unfortunately during refurbishment they forgot to do the bathroom. The door was too big for the frame and did not close, the shower was your basic mixer tap but the shower head was tiny and not correct for the rail and the water kept going hot and cold. The staff were all extremely pleasant and were quick with service in the restaurant, and the food was fairly good. The hotel is located on a fairly steep hill so could possibly be very slippery getting to and from town in winter.

Room Tip: If you pay extra for an upgrade, apparently the rooms are better!!
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Florence H
PitlochryHydro, General Manager at The Pitlochry Hydro Hotel, responded to this review, 27 September 2012
Hi there,
Well I have to say I am disappointed to have received such a poor score considering your main problem was rectified and other aspects of your stay were fine. I believe that we are better than two stars despite the fact there were obviously a couple of issues with your accommodation.
As ever, we will take this on the chin and continue to review and improve all areas of our operation for the comfort of future guests.
Aberdeen
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 September 2012

This is the 6th Shearing’s hotel I’ve stayed at in Scotland and the formula is the same. I did stay at this hotel twice before Shearing’s took it over and although it was slightly more expensive the food was better. Indeed comparing the food with the other Shearing’s hotels, it was slightly below mid-table. I did see several other twin rooms and they were bigger, but that’s the luck of the draw, our room was adequate. The twin beds were perfectly suitable for people of 5’3” (1.6m) or shorter and in our room at least, the sheets didn’t reach both ends of the bed, which seems to becoming the norm, where ever you go. This was the first Shearing’s hotel that I’ve stayed at where hot water was available all day. The staff seemed to spend some of their time doing more than one job, for example the chap who was at reception also spent time making sandwiches mid-afternoon, because there was no one else to do it. Another time I spent 10 minutes, again mid-afternoon, searching for someone, in and around the reception, to get my room key. Oh well, it does keep the costs down. Almost all the staff were cheery in the execution of their duties, particularly the Hungarian waitress (blond streaks) and the taller ‘under’ manageress. One of the waiters was a little sour but perhaps he was just having an off day. As the name would suggest there is a swimming pool and once in, it is warm enough. The Jacuzzi and Sauna were OK too. While in the changing room, the attendant did come in to remove the used towels. She didn’t seem perturbed about us being there. I assume that male attendants don’t do the same in the female changing rooms. The bar area is pleasant and the one night of entertainment was better than most I’ve seen at Shearing’s hotels. For those less mobile and arriving by coach, it is a downhill walk to the pleasant but touristy main drag. I think there are plenty of taxi's though.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Tilt-scale-gyro
Hi, thanks for your review though I accept you felt some aspects of your stay could have been better. Lots of our staff multi task and cover many areas of our operation and I feel this is a necessary tactic to ensure all areas are covered during holidays and busy months.
Hopefully you will try us again in the future and give us an opportunity to impress you.
The Tyne
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 September 2012

My wife and myself returned to Pitlochry Hydro Hotel for our 4 visit, the last being 2 years ago. We paid the 'extra' amount for a 'room with a view' and standard accomodation. Sadly, the room was situated at the top of the staircase on floor 2 Rm (217) which meant we had thhe noise of other guests going to and fro between the floors. Add to this the squeaky floor boards bopth inside the room and on the landing, it did not make for a peaceful life.
On the Tuesday morning of our stay (2nd day) we noticed that the shower curtain was badly stained and should have been changed long since, the shower hose was black with mildew not a bright shiny steel, the tile grouting was in need of refurbishment. All of these were brought to the attention of the duty manager who had the curtain and shower hose exchanged. We also noted that there was quite a lot of dust on the wall in the bedroom. Wallpaper was not stuck down in places and a patch was hanging half off the wall.
It was indicative that the room was in urgent need of renovation, as was the peeling paint on the staircase and the large dirty object on the roof side of the fanlight near the lift.
In all, we were disappointed that the hotel accomodation had been left to suffer as it has.
On the positive side;
The Staff, particularly in the dining hall were exceptionally good. They were pleasant, helpful and kind.
The only entertainment for the week, Bruce Davies, was good and well received by the hotel patrons.
Oh where have the standards of what was a 'wonderful' hotel gone?

Room Tip: Perhaps we were unlucky this time because it has not been like this before. I suggest you try and k...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
Hi,
Sorry you feel that the Hotels standards have slipped, I can assure you that we work very hard to ensure customers both old and new do not feel this way. I am pleased you recognise that the staff do a very good job and I can only hope you try us again as we continue to invest in the property.
Arundel, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 September 2012

I stayed here for the Etape Caledonia 2011 and will be booking again for 2012 - it's the perfect location being able to roll down the hill to the start (and crawl back up at the end). The staff were very accommodating for all the cyclists and laid on a great breakfast (at 5.30am on a Sunday morning). The food in the restaurant was fine - but it's only a short walk into town, where there are ample choices. It's also only a short walk from the railway station - where you can get direct trains to London.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank anguseitel
PitlochryHydro, General Manager at The Pitlochry Hydro Hotel, responded to this review, 20 September 2012
Hi, thanks for posting....you can have a job with our marketting team ! You are right, we make a big effort to ensure all riders and their significant others are well looked after during the Etape weekend. Our operation changes slightly from our usual way of doing things and its refreshing for us all...... we have learnt lessons as the years have ticked by and now I feel we have a nice balance that works for everyone.
It will be here again before we know it and last time I looked it was booking fast...
Thanks again and see you here in 2013
Best Regards
Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 September 2012

My husband and I have just spent a weekend at this hotel and we were delighted with the whole experience Nothing was too much trouble for the staff. We stayed in a standard room with a view. Everything was spotlessly clean and very comfortable - even the bed! The meals were more than adequate and enjoyable. The dining staff were most efficient and friendly.
I suffer from arthritis and have mobility problems but I found getting around the hotel very easy, the seats in the lounge were comfortable, the rooms were spacious and the pool is very accessible. The girl on reception was most helpful in showing us where the disabled changing room/toilet was.
. This has to be the best Shearings hotel we've been in and to be honest I have had no serious complaints about the other three that we've stayed in. There's always a best and for us so far this was it. (still a few to go!) Only gripe: the grass in the putting green needed cutting though it still wouldn't have improved my putting skills!! Thank you all for a splendid stay.

Room Tip: get a room with a view
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Sadie M
PitlochryHydro, General Manager at The Pitlochry Hydro Hotel, responded to this review, 14 September 2012
Hi there, well I'm thrilled with your five star review of us, I really am. We have had a very busy summer and there is nothing like a positive review to boost our energy levels and remind us all that we do a very good job week in week out for our customers.
I'm pleased you felt well looked after and all the key elements of anyones holiday were firmly in place.
You have cheered up a whole team of people and it is much appreciated.
See you up here again sometime.
Best Regards