“Wonderful Birthday Celebration!”

The Pitlochry Hydro Hotel
Ranked #10 of 18 Hotels in Pitlochry
Reviewed 25 October 2012

Went here to celebrate my husbands birthday with family and friends so quite a party of us. The location is the primary priority for us and this time the weather was also fantastic the colours in the autumnal trees were brilliant. The public areas and the leisure facilities were really good and can't fault the attentiveness of the all the staff. Excellent value for money especially with the food included. Wasn't our first visit and won't be our last. The entertainment on Saturday evening was also very good (a folk singer called Stephen Quigg).

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank carronbrae
PitlochryHydro, General Manager at The Pitlochry Hydro Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 31 October 2012

Hello there, what a great review. I am delighted that you and your group enjoyed your stay here and felt the staff were attentive and everything ran smoothly. This part of the world is spectacular at this time of the year and I am glad you benefitted from the weather.
Hope to see you and your group here again...... the spring months are equally impressive and again you would get the most out of your surroundings.
Thanks for the review, it is very much appreciated.
Best Regards

Reviewed 21 October 2012

I have visited the Hydro for weekend breaks many times. This weekend I went with my daughter. We were in Room 218 which I must admit can be a wee bit noisy as it is next to the stairs. However the only time it was slightly annoying was when the bar closed and guests were going back to their rooms on the 2nd floor. Bearing in mind that most of the guests were of a "certain age", there was no raucous behaviour! We didn't go to the entertainment, just had a quiet couple of nights watching telly. We had gone through to Perth shopping on Saturday and so were ready for some relaxation. The breakfasts and dinners were absolutely delicious and the service was second to none. Some reviewers have said they thought service was too fast and furious, not for me, I'd rather have that than sitting about waiting to be served. One tiny criticism was the quality of the breakfast orange juice, to be honest it had no flavour whatsoever, just tasted like coloured water. The tomato and apple juices on the other hand were really good. The room was spacious, although tired, with some wallpaper peeling on a couple of the walls, but again it was clean and I'm hopeful it will be down for a refurbishment soon. Aggie, the bar manager, remembered us from previous visits and this is always appreciated. I hope to be back in the not too distant future, perhaps with my toddler grandson in tow! Thanks for the extra pillows!

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank cam999

Hi, thanks for a lovely review and for visitting us again, we love welcoming back customers who come again and again. I am pleased to read that you enjoyed the food here as we try very hard to get that aspect of your stay right. I will pass on your comments to Agi and all the team here who will be thrilled you appreciate their service.
See you here again sometime soon.
regards

Reviewed 16 October 2012

Went for weekend with 3 friends on half board basis. Right from arrival staff were very helpful and friendly. Nothing seemed too much trouble and they were all smiling!!The food was excellent, a smaller choice on our menu, but not less quality or quantity, we all found things to our taste, and there is the option to have the a la carte if you wish, the service in the dining room couldn't be faulted. We enjoyed the leisure facilities, nice to have a pool. Set in a beautiful location with nice surroundings, It is an old building and obviously takes a lot of upkeep, (a bit like the Forth Bridge, you just finish and have to start again), but public rooms were very pleasant and well kept. Overall I think you could pay a lot more and get a lot worse. Would quite happily go back, or recommend it to friends. It is a good base to visit lots of interesting places and spectacular scenery and we had a great weekend. So thanks to all the staff there.

Room Tip: Rooms 4 and 5 on ground floor very spacious.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank Eve K
PitlochryHydro, General Manager at The Pitlochry Hydro Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 October 2012

Hi, I think that if I were to write a review of this Hotel it would be very similar to yours. We are all of the things you mention and try to be as consistent as we can with our approach and attitude. I like your reference to the Forth Road Bridge....you are not wrong there !! We invest heavily in this building and are always looking to improve things. The staff, as I am, are delighted with your review and will continue to smile and work hard for all of our customers past, present and future.
Thanks again and see you in this lovely part of the world again soon.

Reviewed 13 October 2012

Went to the Hydro as we had been given Shearings vouchers. Stayed the nights of the 8th and 9th October. This could be a fab hotel. The location is fantastic, to sit and have a drink in the afternoon in the front of the hotel amazing. Drink was not particularly expensive - no different from any other hotel.

Now for the review. Could not complain about our room. (no 12). It had a side view. Slight problem with the shower due to I think the water pressure but if your are in a hotel of this age it is not unexpected. Room was clean with very comfy beds - one slight mention - an external window cleaner might be a good idea - check it out along the corridors and rooms.

Staff we met were excellent both at reception and in the dinning room. Could not have been more helpfull. Many dinning room staff seemed eastern european but slight language problems did not stop the conversation and a special mention to the young Hungarian lady (wears red flowers in her hair) She gave 110% effort.

We were booked in for half-board. The meals however were rather strange. If I am in Scotland I expect quite a great deal of Scottish fare. In Perthshire there is an abundance of local produce. This was not reflected in the meals. The first night my husband ended up with beef casserole with dumplings! sliced green beans and another sliced veg (we did not even know what it was). It also came with purple cabbage. An odd combination. The next night the waiter said the special was haggis. I love haggis and both of us were really looking forward. However the dish left a lot to be desired. It had been cooked like a cottage pie - a layer of haggis on the bottom and a covering of mashed potato above and to finish it off onion gravy poured over. This was served with sweetcorn and peas and yes you guessed purple cabbage. Just where was the turnip? Not the way to serve one of our national dishes.

Credit however to the cheese board. The extra charge was worth it and one of the biggest I have had in any hotel. The cheese was of a good quality and enjoyed. Breakfast was also very good - no complaints about the portions, quality or the temperature.

Sort out the evening food and this hotel will be amazing.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple

Hi, thanks for taking the time to post a review and it would appear that generally things were in place for you and I glad you thought the staff here were helpful and friendly.
I'm sorry you were disappointed with our 'Haggis Gateau' it's one of my favourites of the week.... I have been known to rota myself on a shift just so I can have it for dinner.
Thanks again and perhaps we will see you here again.

Reviewed 9 October 2012

Paid £35 for B&B......

* Room was small but clean and comfy, however bedside lamp, bathroom light and towel rail all not working.
* Hotel info. pack bit cheap and tatty with clip art of someone saying "You're fired" on the first page which is, well, just negative and a bit odd.
* Enjoyed the pool and jacuzzi.
* The cooked breakfast, (although wrongly marketed as "big"), was infact the correct size for someone of my proportions and was yummy.
* Got to play the baby-grand piano which was a bonus
* On checking out wasn't asked if I'd enjoyed my stay or if the room had been ok.

I started off by saying the rate was £35 and some will say "Well, what did you expect". The answer to that, (and sadly it's true of so many hotels in Scotland that I've stayed in over the past twenty years), is that the issues I've highlighted are attitude - related not budget related. For example - the cost of a light bulb......

Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo
3  Thank woopsie
PitlochryHydro, General Manager at The Pitlochry Hydro Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 October 2012

Hi, Well it would seem you kind of enjoyed yourself. I have a huge store, bigger than my bedroom, full to the brim of every last bulb that has ever been invented just waiting to replace bulbs that go 'pop' so please.... all potential guests do not bring me any more. My guess is that there might have been a misplaced message ! The info pack in the room is just a bit of fun.....
Thanks for your comments and I think that if you have paid £35 for bed and breakfast here then I struggle to think of any operation that I am familiar with who offer better value.
Best Regards

Reviewed 9 October 2012

We checked into hotel on arrival & were given our room key but when we went to the room we found that it had twin beds in it despite us having paid to upgrade to a scenic view double room & had received an email from Sharon at Coast & Country to confirm this. We went back to reception & spoke to one of the receptionists who had a bit of an attitude & who obviously didn't believe us. She eventually gave us the key for what she called a superior room as there were no double rooms with scenic view left. This room was very basic, far from superior. The bed was very uncomfortable, we could feel every spring, the shower wouldn't stay at the same temperature it kept getting very hot. There was a small TV on the wall with 5 basic channels which kept losing the signal. The dining room staff were very pleasant but we only heard one scottish accent the rest were all foreign. If you are under 60 then this is not the hotel for you. The hotel is deserted by about 10.15pm as the residents are all in bed & the bar is closed by 11pm every night. We love Pitlochry but won't be staying in this hotel again.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank EdinburghMm

Hi, sorry that for a few reasons you were not entirely happy with your stay here. I can assure you that any human error is not intentional.

Reviewed 5 October 2012

My wife and I have just returned from a 4 day stay. We read reviews but decided, from previous experience, that some/most were from snobs who want 7 star luxury from 3 star prices! We checked in and found (to our pleasure!!) that some rooms were overbooked so we were upgraded. Thank you Mr Shearing! What I can say is:- the food was plentiful and of FINE quality. The hotel was very clean and a credit to the chain. The room was clean/bright/well equipped and I would not want to fault it. In general, this is the best Shearings/Bay/etc in which we have stayed (yet). For further info, we stayed in room 213. One down on our stay was... if I had had the time, I could have counted the springs on our mattress which was definitly 'tired. Management were informed! Staff were sooooo pleasant. Thanks.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank paulxpc

Hi, What a lovely review and I should probably keep my thoughts to myself about what some people expect ! It makes such a difference to all of us here at the Hotel to read a glowing report and in a world where people are very quick to criticise I am pleased that customers take time out to post a positive.
best regards