“Looking forward”

The Pitlochry Hydro Hotel
Ranked #10 of 17 Hotels in Pitlochry
Reviewed 4 November 2012

Stayed here many years ago & enjoyed our stay. Just booked to return at end of November for a long weekend & was feeling slightly apprehensive at some of the reviews. Memories can alter over time. However the most recent reviews are good & we are looking forward to our anniversary weekend. The reviews of the leisure complex appear to be excellent. Will post full review after visit....just hope we don't get peeling wallpaper.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
PitlochryHydro, General Manager at The Pitlochry Hydro Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 November 2012

Hi there,
Please do look forward to coming here at the end of the month. It can be extremely frustrating, as the GM here, to read negative comments about our operation on trip advisor. I can take on the chin that an operation the size of ours can sometimes see things going mildly wrong on rare occasions but some reviews make me want to hang up my suit and go and get a job down the chippy!
In all seriousness we work extremely hard as a team and you will see the vast majority of comments are positive ones. For every one hundred positive comments I recieve verbally at the Hotel only a very small percentage put their comments on trip advisor. Of the very few criticisms I receive here a far higher percentage of those are likely to post a negative review. Thats the way it seems to be and we soldier on in our quest to be as good as we possibly can be.
I am quietly confident that your forthcoming break here will be a pleasant one....and if it isn't I had better start practicing my potato peeling !!!!
See you at the end of the month and thanks for the post.

Reviewed 4 November 2012

We stayed here as self drive customers from the 19th to 21st of October 2012 There is a large car park as well as some disabled parking and a drop off point right outside the door.
We were in a Superior Room 213. We were very happy with the room which was immaculately clean warm and comfortable.
The location was great with fabulous views from all of the windows over Pitlochry and the beautiful autumn trees.
We were on a B&B basis and the breakfast buffet and hot food catered for all tastes. The staff were very pleasant and friendly.
This is a large old Victorian building so be prepared for some creaking floor boards but it all added to the charm. A good base for a short break.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank SunnyJim_9

Hi there, thanks for such a positive review. I think this is a great place to base yourself when visiting this area too. I'm pleased you picked up on all the different aspects of your stay being firmly in place and that the staff were friendly.
Hopefully you will visit us again where you can be sure that all standards will be maintained.

Reviewed 3 November 2012

After reading a few negative reviews we were slightly worried but we needn't have been!!

The hotel is spotlessly clean, the food is superb, our family room was spacious, well appointed & clean & the staff were all very helpful & friendly. Our grandson loved the pool & jacuzzi!!

Chris the manager is always available for a chat & is rightly proud of this wonderful hotel.

We will definitely be returning!!

• Stayed: October 2012
1  Thank Worcestershire_folk

Hello there, I'm delighted with your review and so are the rest of the team. Everything seemed to be in place, just as it should be and you had a really nice family holiday. So many customers have similar comments to make about us and I am glad you chose to put yours on trip advisor and help spread the good word.
Thanks again.....it means an awful lot to us all.

Reviewed 1 November 2012

Two 50+ ladies arrived on a Shearings coach trip on 26th October. Given an older room on the ground floor, No. 3. This is a very big room, originally a conference room and the ceiling must have been 16' high with one wall filled with old sash windows. Beautiful in summer. There was no heating on and this was the first day of snow. Told the receptionist who said it was on a monitor, so we jumped up and down and our monitor would not work. Asked the receptionist to come to our room, so she and another bloke came to our room. They agreed it wasn't working but there were no other rooms available. He was very helpful and suggested to her that there may have been a smaller double but when we went to see it we could hear very loud partying from a room next door and at 7pm we were worried what it may have been like at 1pm. Also they were giving us a childs bed for my smaller room mate to sleep on so we said no. He found us 3 electric radiators but unfortunately there is a distinct lack or sockets in these rooms. He then got us an extension lead which was plugged into a socket in the hall, so we had to disconnect the heater in the hall, and threaded the lead under our door. The room became warmer. We went for our meal and had a drink thinking when we got back the room would be warm. Unfortunately something happened with the electric and it had tripped so the room was freezing. I went to see the receptionist who once again I found to be totally unsympathetic. I told her that I didn't live like this at home so why should I pay for a cold room? I asked what she proposed and she said she had given us heaters, the maintenace man would be there on Monday, the day we were leaving, and there were no other rooms. She seemed to think that we should have been eternally grateful for 3 heaters. I have attached a photo of them, I'm sure H&S would have a field day. I asked that we be refunded and this just seemed to go over her head. The following morning about 9am I asked the two new receptionists if anything was planned for us. They obviously hadn't read the diary, so I left it with them and went for breakfast. After, I asked the receptionist that was there and she curtly replied that the heating was working. It was obvious she had read the report and had me down as a moaner. The heating wasn't working, it transpired the monitor came on for a minute and went off, so I told reception on the way out.
When we got back in the evening the room was warm. However we saw the same receptionist on the following two days and not once did she acknowlege the problem we had when we arrived. I had lost a walking stick and asked if it had been put behind reception and she said no, but I would have expected some reference to the heating but got nothing.
Also when we arrived the TV wouldn't work and another young receptionist who was fairly knew there said she would get batteries from her room as there were none at reception! How helpful. It appeared that it was the TV that was broke, not the remote, and the same bloke who helped with the heaters got us a TV from I think that empty double room.
The dining room staff were all very nice, the food was very basic but you found something. The pool was a nice size and the public areas had been decorated in the last four years I would say. There was a singer on in the longe only on the Saturday, nothing Friday or Sunday. Plus what we found amazing is that the Saturday night at 6.30 on the high street, there was a big free Halloween Parade and a fireworks display and yet there was nothing in the hotel advising us of this.

Would I go to this hotel again? It's a big no, and I can see why it rates as only 14 out of 25 in Pitlochry on Tripadvisor. You must remember this is a small town and numbers 15 - 25 may only be small B&B's

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
PitlochryHydro, General Manager at The Pitlochry Hydro Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 November 2012

Hi, well it would appear we made a couple of errors here...I can promise you that our intentions were to help and solve the problem. Thanks for your comments and I think in amongst this there is a lesson to learn.

Reviewed 25 October 2012

Went here to celebrate my husbands birthday with family and friends so quite a party of us. The location is the primary priority for us and this time the weather was also fantastic the colours in the autumnal trees were brilliant. The public areas and the leisure facilities were really good and can't fault the attentiveness of the all the staff. Excellent value for money especially with the food included. Wasn't our first visit and won't be our last. The entertainment on Saturday evening was also very good (a folk singer called Stephen Quigg).

2  Thank carronbrae
PitlochryHydro, General Manager at The Pitlochry Hydro Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 31 October 2012

Hello there, what a great review. I am delighted that you and your group enjoyed your stay here and felt the staff were attentive and everything ran smoothly. This part of the world is spectacular at this time of the year and I am glad you benefitted from the weather.
Hope to see you and your group here again...... the spring months are equally impressive and again you would get the most out of your surroundings.
Thanks for the review, it is very much appreciated.

Reviewed 21 October 2012

I have visited the Hydro for weekend breaks many times. This weekend I went with my daughter. We were in Room 218 which I must admit can be a wee bit noisy as it is next to the stairs. However the only time it was slightly annoying was when the bar closed and guests were going back to their rooms on the 2nd floor. Bearing in mind that most of the guests were of a "certain age", there was no raucous behaviour! We didn't go to the entertainment, just had a quiet couple of nights watching telly. We had gone through to Perth shopping on Saturday and so were ready for some relaxation. The breakfasts and dinners were absolutely delicious and the service was second to none. Some reviewers have said they thought service was too fast and furious, not for me, I'd rather have that than sitting about waiting to be served. One tiny criticism was the quality of the breakfast orange juice, to be honest it had no flavour whatsoever, just tasted like coloured water. The tomato and apple juices on the other hand were really good. The room was spacious, although tired, with some wallpaper peeling on a couple of the walls, but again it was clean and I'm hopeful it will be down for a refurbishment soon. Aggie, the bar manager, remembered us from previous visits and this is always appreciated. I hope to be back in the not too distant future, perhaps with my toddler grandson in tow! Thanks for the extra pillows!

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank cam999

Hi, thanks for a lovely review and for visitting us again, we love welcoming back customers who come again and again. I am pleased to read that you enjoyed the food here as we try very hard to get that aspect of your stay right. I will pass on your comments to Agi and all the team here who will be thrilled you appreciate their service.
See you here again sometime soon.
regards

Reviewed 16 October 2012

Went for weekend with 3 friends on half board basis. Right from arrival staff were very helpful and friendly. Nothing seemed too much trouble and they were all smiling!!The food was excellent, a smaller choice on our menu, but not less quality or quantity, we all found things to our taste, and there is the option to have the a la carte if you wish, the service in the dining room couldn't be faulted. We enjoyed the leisure facilities, nice to have a pool. Set in a beautiful location with nice surroundings, It is an old building and obviously takes a lot of upkeep, (a bit like the Forth Bridge, you just finish and have to start again), but public rooms were very pleasant and well kept. Overall I think you could pay a lot more and get a lot worse. Would quite happily go back, or recommend it to friends. It is a good base to visit lots of interesting places and spectacular scenery and we had a great weekend. So thanks to all the staff there.

Room Tip: Rooms 4 and 5 on ground floor very spacious.