“value for money”

Ranked #9 of 18 Hotels in Pitlochry
Arbroath, United Kingdom
“value for money”
Reviewed 6 November 2012

Stayed for 3 nights DBB this was our third visit.The room(125) was spacious and was kept very
clean and tidy.Receptionists Bar and Restaurant Staff were excellent and were very pleasant.at all times.There was a good choice of food and we found it of good quality and variety.The leisure facilities were also clean and well maintained.Overall the Pitlochry Hydro is good value for money.Thanks to all the staff for making our stay enjoyable and we look forward to our next visit.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank 157BillS
PitlochryHydro, General Manager at The Pitlochry Hydro Hotel, responded to this review, 8 November 2012
Hello there, this is exactly the kind of review we all work towards achieving here. All the key factors are there......clean, great staff, good food, value for money and most importantly returning.
Posts like this really do make it all worthwhile for all of us here at the Hotel.
Thanks a million
GM

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (278)
Peebles, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 November 2012

I was quite disappointed with this hotel. The public areas were a bit more modern but the twin room I had was badly in need of decoration.

Granted this is an old building but the noise levels were pretty high - we were disturbed every time another guest waled along the corridor. The bedroom door was ill fitting and of poor quality. This meant that both noise and light led to a disturbed sleep.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank DWG47_12
PitlochryHydro, General Manager at The Pitlochry Hydro Hotel, responded to this review, 6 November 2012
Hi, sorry you had a couple of issues with your stay here. If you had mentioned this to us at the time it might be we could have done something to help. It is a big Hotel and some areas of the building do creak a little.
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 November 2012

Stayed here many years ago & enjoyed our stay. Just booked to return at end of November for a long weekend & was feeling slightly apprehensive at some of the reviews. Memories can alter over time. However the most recent reviews are good & we are looking forward to our anniversary weekend. The reviews of the leisure complex appear to be excellent. Will post full review after visit....just hope we don't get peeling wallpaper.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
PitlochryHydro, General Manager at The Pitlochry Hydro Hotel, responded to this review, 5 November 2012
Hi there,
Please do look forward to coming here at the end of the month. It can be extremely frustrating, as the GM here, to read negative comments about our operation on trip advisor. I can take on the chin that an operation the size of ours can sometimes see things going mildly wrong on rare occasions but some reviews make me want to hang up my suit and go and get a job down the chippy!
In all seriousness we work extremely hard as a team and you will see the vast majority of comments are positive ones. For every one hundred positive comments I recieve verbally at the Hotel only a very small percentage put their comments on trip advisor. Of the very few criticisms I receive here a far higher percentage of those are likely to post a negative review. Thats the way it seems to be and we soldier on in our quest to be as good as we possibly can be.
I am quietly confident that your forthcoming break here will be a pleasant one....and if it isn't I had better start practicing my potato peeling !!!!
See you at the end of the month and thanks for the post.
Newcastle
Reviewed 4 November 2012

We stayed here as self drive customers from the 19th to 21st of October 2012 There is a large car park as well as some disabled parking and a drop off point right outside the door.
We were in a Superior Room 213. We were very happy with the room which was immaculately clean warm and comfortable.
The location was great with fabulous views from all of the windows over Pitlochry and the beautiful autumn trees.
We were on a B&B basis and the breakfast buffet and hot food catered for all tastes. The staff were very pleasant and friendly.
This is a large old Victorian building so be prepared for some creaking floor boards but it all added to the charm. A good base for a short break.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank SunnyJim_9
Hi there, thanks for such a positive review. I think this is a great place to base yourself when visiting this area too. I'm pleased you picked up on all the different aspects of your stay being firmly in place and that the staff were friendly.
Hopefully you will visit us again where you can be sure that all standards will be maintained.
Reviewed 3 November 2012

After reading a few negative reviews we were slightly worried but we needn't have been!!

The hotel is spotlessly clean, the food is superb, our family room was spacious, well appointed & clean & the staff were all very helpful & friendly. Our grandson loved the pool & jacuzzi!!

Chris the manager is always available for a chat & is rightly proud of this wonderful hotel.

We will definitely be returning!!

• Stayed October 2012
1 Thank Worcestershire_folk
Hello there, I'm delighted with your review and so are the rest of the team. Everything seemed to be in place, just as it should be and you had a really nice family holiday. So many customers have similar comments to make about us and I am glad you chose to put yours on trip advisor and help spread the good word.
Thanks again.....it means an awful lot to us all.
Liverpool
Reviewed 1 November 2012

Two 50+ ladies arrived on a Shearings coach trip on 26th October. Given an older room on the ground floor, No. 3. This is a very big room, originally a conference room and the ceiling must have been 16' high with one wall filled with old sash windows. Beautiful in summer. There was no heating on and this was the first day of snow. Told the receptionist who said it was on a monitor, so we jumped up and down and our monitor would not work. Asked the receptionist to come to our room, so she and another bloke came to our room. They agreed it wasn't working but there were no other rooms available. He was very helpful and suggested to her that there may have been a smaller double but when we went to see it we could hear very loud partying from a room next door and at 7pm we were worried what it may have been like at 1pm. Also they were giving us a childs bed for my smaller room mate to sleep on so we said no. He found us 3 electric radiators but unfortunately there is a distinct lack or sockets in these rooms. He then got us an extension lead which was plugged into a socket in the hall, so we had to disconnect the heater in the hall, and threaded the lead under our door. The room became warmer. We went for our meal and had a drink thinking when we got back the room would be warm. Unfortunately something happened with the electric and it had tripped so the room was freezing. I went to see the receptionist who once again I found to be totally unsympathetic. I told her that I didn't live like this at home so why should I pay for a cold room? I asked what she proposed and she said she had given us heaters, the maintenace man would be there on Monday, the day we were leaving, and there were no other rooms. She seemed to think that we should have been eternally grateful for 3 heaters. I have attached a photo of them, I'm sure H&S would have a field day. I asked that we be refunded and this just seemed to go over her head. The following morning about 9am I asked the two new receptionists if anything was planned for us. They obviously hadn't read the diary, so I left it with them and went for breakfast. After, I asked the receptionist that was there and she curtly replied that the heating was working. It was obvious she had read the report and had me down as a moaner. The heating wasn't working, it transpired the monitor came on for a minute and went off, so I told reception on the way out.
When we got back in the evening the room was warm. However we saw the same receptionist on the following two days and not once did she acknowlege the problem we had when we arrived. I had lost a walking stick and asked if it had been put behind reception and she said no, but I would have expected some reference to the heating but got nothing.
Also when we arrived the TV wouldn't work and another young receptionist who was fairly knew there said she would get batteries from her room as there were none at reception! How helpful. It appeared that it was the TV that was broke, not the remote, and the same bloke who helped with the heaters got us a TV from I think that empty double room.
The dining room staff were all very nice, the food was very basic but you found something. The pool was a nice size and the public areas had been decorated in the last four years I would say. There was a singer on in the longe only on the Saturday, nothing Friday or Sunday. Plus what we found amazing is that the Saturday night at 6.30 on the high street, there was a big free Halloween Parade and a fireworks display and yet there was nothing in the hotel advising us of this.

Would I go to this hotel again? It's a big no, and I can see why it rates as only 14 out of 25 in Pitlochry on Tripadvisor. You must remember this is a small town and numbers 15 - 25 may only be small B&B's

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
Hi, well it would appear we made a couple of errors here...I can promise you that our intentions were to help and solve the problem. Thanks for your comments and I think in amongst this there is a lesson to learn.
Stonehaven, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 October 2012

Went here to celebrate my husbands birthday with family and friends so quite a party of us. The location is the primary priority for us and this time the weather was also fantastic the colours in the autumnal trees were brilliant. The public areas and the leisure facilities were really good and can't fault the attentiveness of the all the staff. Excellent value for money especially with the food included. Wasn't our first visit and won't be our last. The entertainment on Saturday evening was also very good (a folk singer called Stephen Quigg).

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank carronbrae
PitlochryHydro, General Manager at The Pitlochry Hydro Hotel, responded to this review, 31 October 2012
Hello there, what a great review. I am delighted that you and your group enjoyed your stay here and felt the staff were attentive and everything ran smoothly. This part of the world is spectacular at this time of the year and I am glad you benefitted from the weather.
Hope to see you and your group here again...... the spring months are equally impressive and again you would get the most out of your surroundings.
Thanks for the review, it is very much appreciated.