“Our returning visit”

Ranked #10 of 18 Hotels in Pitlochry
Hornsea, United Kingdom
“Our returning visit”
Reviewed 9 November 2012

We are returning to the Hydro hotel for the 3rd time next week.
This is the best hotel we have stayed in and we have stayed in a few.
From the moment you step into the hotel the staff are warm and friendly.
Meals are always hot and vaired and plentiful for us.
Hope we get the room we stayed in before 209 it was great.
This is a birthday treat for me so looking forward to that warm Scotish Welcolme.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
PitlochryHydro, General Manager at The Pitlochry Hydro Hotel, responded to this review, 12 November 2012
Hi, great news ! We will all look forward to seeing you and help you enjoy your celebrations. I'm pleased you picked up on both the quality of our food and the friendliness of our staff....two things we work very hard at trying to get right.
Come and say hello when you get here....
GM

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (284)
York, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 November 2012

We have been regular visitors for 12 years, and love everything about this hotel. Clean, spacious rooms, very pleasant and helpful staff, and great leisure facilities, especially the pool. Dining experience is second to none. Restaurant manager Frank works with his staff to ensure swift and efficient service of food which is good in quality and variety. Restaurant reservation system ensures a pleasant and relaxed meal, Manager Chris is frequently around, and always interested in guests and their opinions. All this, plus spacious free parking, wonderful scenery and happy hotel atmosphere combined to ensure another wonderful, excellent value holiday. Hope to be back next year!

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
Hi, with reviews like this you can come back as often as you like. As you know, we have lots of regular customers and I am so pleased you feel this way about us. Long may we provide a safe pair of hands for your annual breaks to this wonderful part of the country.
See you soon
Cupar, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 November 2012

My husband and I came to Pitlochry for the Enchanted Forest event, but we also wanted to treat his mum and his sister (both slightly disabled) to a couple of days in the Highlands. I'm so glad we chose this hotel! The place was very easy to find, parking was ample, and we were able to drop off right in front of the door. No stairs to get inside either, which was a plus right away for mum and sister! When we checked in, I discovered that I had made an error when I had booked online, but with a bit of lateral thinking from the reception desk clerk this was thankfully sorted right away. There's a lift available, so no walking up the stairs for mum (another plus!), and although the floor creaked underfoot (which I thought gave the place plenty of charm) there were new carpets and modern decor throughout. I loved the colour scheme--very contemporary! Mum and Sister had the larger, upgraded room (quite posh really!); we took the slightly smaller room, but it was still very clean, cozy, and comfy and had a very nice view of the hills. I forgot my hairdryer, but that wasn't a problem as one was provided in the room. The bed was very comfortable and the room was quiet. I took full advantage of the leisure facilities during my stay--fitness suite, jacuzzi, pool, and sauna. Only thing I could fault was not finding any sanitising wipes in the fitness room for the gym equipment (but maybe I just wasn't looking in the right place) and there was a little water leak from up near the ceiling in one corner of the sauna (but it was still lovely and toasty and I didn't want to get out!) As the weather was poor, we didn't get out to enjoy the garden or the outdoor seating much, as inviting as it looked. However, the hotel lounge was very comfortable and the drinks from the bar were reasonably priced--perfect place to relax, read a book, and enjoy a cappuccino in the afternoon or a drink (or two) after dinner. Hubby and I were away at the Enchanted Forest event the night that the entertainer was performing in the lounge, but mum and sister said he was pretty good and I was glad that there was something for them to do besides watch TV while we were away that evening. I didn't use the internet much except to check email while sitting in the lounge, but I never had any problems with connection speeds. As we had opted for half-board, we had two evening meals and breakfasts at the hotel during our stay. There was a set menu for dinner for the half-board, but there was also an a-la-carte menu with a good variety of dishes to choose from at very reasonable prices. Although we toyed with the idea of having a steak, we never did choose from the a-la-carte as the choices for the daily menu were more than adequate for us. The lamb stew was fabulous! Portions were satisfying, the vegetables were properly cooked (but not overdone) and the sweets were too tempting to refuse. At breakfast there was always a variety of fresh fruits, juices, yoghurts, rolls, croissants, cereals as well as coffee/tea and the traditional cooked fare. Service was always great--wait staff were very attentive, polite, and quick. In fact, everyone we encountered was genuinely helpful and smiling and professional, which not only makes me feel valued as a guest, but safe and comfortable in the knowledge that if the employees are happy with their jobs, things are probably looked after properly. I had a brilliant time and will definitely stay here again. Kudos to the staff and management!

Room Tip: Upgrade to the superior room, it's well worth it!
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank M R
PitlochryHydro, General Manager at The Pitlochry Hydro Hotel, responded to this review, 8 November 2012
Hi, what a great review. Your comments have helped boost everyones morale here. After a long and very busy season it is posts like this that make all the difference. Once upon a time it was myself who passed on trip advisor reviews to the team here but now its them who tell me.
Thanks for taking the time to write such kind words and putting a smile on more than a few faces.
Arbroath, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 November 2012

Stayed for 3 nights DBB this was our third visit.The room(125) was spacious and was kept very
clean and tidy.Receptionists Bar and Restaurant Staff were excellent and were very pleasant.at all times.There was a good choice of food and we found it of good quality and variety.The leisure facilities were also clean and well maintained.Overall the Pitlochry Hydro is good value for money.Thanks to all the staff for making our stay enjoyable and we look forward to our next visit.

1 Thank 157BillS
Hello there, this is exactly the kind of review we all work towards achieving here. All the key factors are there......clean, great staff, good food, value for money and most importantly returning.
Posts like this really do make it all worthwhile for all of us here at the Hotel.
Thanks a million
Peebles, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 November 2012

I was quite disappointed with this hotel. The public areas were a bit more modern but the twin room I had was badly in need of decoration.

Granted this is an old building but the noise levels were pretty high - we were disturbed every time another guest waled along the corridor. The bedroom door was ill fitting and of poor quality. This meant that both noise and light led to a disturbed sleep.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank DWG47_12
PitlochryHydro, General Manager at The Pitlochry Hydro Hotel, responded to this review, 6 November 2012
Hi, sorry you had a couple of issues with your stay here. If you had mentioned this to us at the time it might be we could have done something to help. It is a big Hotel and some areas of the building do creak a little.
Regards
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 November 2012

Stayed here many years ago & enjoyed our stay. Just booked to return at end of November for a long weekend & was feeling slightly apprehensive at some of the reviews. Memories can alter over time. However the most recent reviews are good & we are looking forward to our anniversary weekend. The reviews of the leisure complex appear to be excellent. Will post full review after visit....just hope we don't get peeling wallpaper.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
PitlochryHydro, General Manager at The Pitlochry Hydro Hotel, responded to this review, 5 November 2012
Hi there,
Please do look forward to coming here at the end of the month. It can be extremely frustrating, as the GM here, to read negative comments about our operation on trip advisor. I can take on the chin that an operation the size of ours can sometimes see things going mildly wrong on rare occasions but some reviews make me want to hang up my suit and go and get a job down the chippy!
In all seriousness we work extremely hard as a team and you will see the vast majority of comments are positive ones. For every one hundred positive comments I recieve verbally at the Hotel only a very small percentage put their comments on trip advisor. Of the very few criticisms I receive here a far higher percentage of those are likely to post a negative review. Thats the way it seems to be and we soldier on in our quest to be as good as we possibly can be.
I am quietly confident that your forthcoming break here will be a pleasant one....and if it isn't I had better start practicing my potato peeling !!!!
See you at the end of the month and thanks for the post.
Regards
Newcastle
Reviewed 4 November 2012

We stayed here as self drive customers from the 19th to 21st of October 2012 There is a large car park as well as some disabled parking and a drop off point right outside the door.
We were in a Superior Room 213. We were very happy with the room which was immaculately clean warm and comfortable.
The location was great with fabulous views from all of the windows over Pitlochry and the beautiful autumn trees.
We were on a B&B basis and the breakfast buffet and hot food catered for all tastes. The staff were very pleasant and friendly.
This is a large old Victorian building so be prepared for some creaking floor boards but it all added to the charm. A good base for a short break.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank SunnyJim_9
Hi there, thanks for such a positive review. I think this is a great place to base yourself when visiting this area too. I'm pleased you picked up on all the different aspects of your stay being firmly in place and that the staff were friendly.
Hopefully you will visit us again where you can be sure that all standards will be maintained.