The Pitlochry Hydro Hotel
US$182
Travelocity
US$253
Agoda.com
All reviewsself driveshearings hotelsscenic viewcoach holidaycaledonian travelshearings breakmanager chrisdining rooma la carte menujacuzzi and saunacoach driverleisure facilitiesfolk singerevening entertainmentsuperior roomhalf boardrestaurant manager
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 4 December 2012

Arrived on a Friday for dinner, bed and breakfast. Food very good and hotel very nicely decorated and comfortable. A little cool as public rooms are very large, but not very cold. Our room was very warm and comfortable and had lots of lights, a hair dryer, trouser press, and bathroom essentials. We had booked the theatre and on Saturday enjoyed show. Spent Sunday touring round Aberfeldy and Tummel then on to Grandtully and back to Pitlochry. A bit icy but sunshine all day. Very enjoyable. Saturday night had an excellent entertainer with people dancing to his music.

Room Tip: We paid a little extra to have a scenic room
2  Thank 1Normand1
PitlochryHydro, General Manager at The Pitlochry Hydro Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 December 2012

Hi, Glad to read that you enjoyed your stay and the Hotel ticked all your boxes. I went to see the show at the Theatre too on Sunday and thouroughly enjoyed it......
Hope to see you again at some point and thanks for taking the time to post a positive review.....they make such a difference to morale.
Best Regards

Reviewed 3 December 2012

Things all started to go wrong the moment I arrived at Reception. I had booked a late deal via the Late Rooms website to stay two nights at the Pitlochry Hydro. However, despite booking via Late Deals, the Pitlochry Hydro had no record of my booking. It turned out that someone had failed to enter my booking into their system. Thankfully, after a ten to fifteen minute wait, I was allocated a room but no apology for the wait. I was almost made to feel that the error was my fault - as I was simply then handed a key receiving no information at all about the hotel, breakfast, leisure facilities, etc.

The hotel itself, was quite good. The room was clean and tidy and of a decent size.
The leisure facilities were a bit mixed - the pool, spa and sauna all excellent but the changing rooms and showers in need of renovation.

I was awoken twice during the night by the most almighty noise. I have no idea what it was but it had the whole room literally shaking including the pictures on the walls! Not sure if there is some kind of boiler room near to the bedroom.

The breakfast was superb and the staff serving breakfast were also good.

So now back to poor Reception service.

On checking out, I was asked if I could wait. However, I was then given the go ahead to leave as the hotel had my bank account details via my Late Rooms booking.

I received a telephone call the following day advising that the hotel had incorrectly charged for my stay, having charged me an additional £55 for someone else's Dinner. I was told that it was to quote "Good News" that I was being refunded. Cheeky, given they had overcharged me for a meal I never had. No real apology given.

I would have given this hotel 3 or 4 stars had the Reception service not been so awful.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled solo
3  Thank MountainBagger

Hello,
Well I will take this on the chin and accept responsibility for the confusion. We handle around 40,000 bednights here and so very few have the experience you have had. It was simply down to us not handling your late room booking properly when usually we are completely organised on that score. I'm glad the overpayment was identified by us and despite your experience I respect the fact that you noted that otherwise you would have scored us higher.
Hope this has not put you off staying again ...... this is a very rare complaint.

Reviewed 1 December 2012

My Husband and I have just returned from our second stay at the Pitlochry Hydro much better this time our room was large clean and most important for us quite could have done with better pillows and Staff very nice and restaurant very well organised service excellent food good print on menu a bit small overall a good Hotel nice position easy reach of town and Dam

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple

Hi, thanks for your positive review and I am really pleased that you found all aspects of your stay to be very good and standards firmly in place. Thanks for taking the time to post a review, it means an awful lot to all of us.

Reviewed 1 December 2012 via mobile

Arrived on a really cold day at about 5pm, and after being initially ignored at reception by the receptionist who saw us then turned back to whatshe was doing, we were met by an icy blast on entering our room. No heating on and no central heating whatsoever in the rooms. One small dimplex heater on the wall . One towel rail on a 2 hour timer. Not acceptable heating arrangements in the Scottish Highlands in December! Several other guests were also having problems with getting enough heat in their rooms. No double glazing and original windows...
This hotel needs serious money spent on it to bring it up to contemporary hotel standards. The rooms we had were extremely basic and tired - and the bathroom floor and pipes were filthy. Flaking paint in the bathroom walls. Bed comfy enough. I appreciate this ia Victorian building but there has to be certain heating and cleanliness standards upheld. Restaurant staff pleasant but dinner was cold which we mentioned at the time. Foo was also 'thrown' at us with no slight space in between courses- probably because the bulk Of the clientele may be coach parties.
Breakfast was nice and staff pleasant again.
A cheap deal but did at least expect heat and cleanliness.

• Stayed: December 2012
1  Thank Scotty010

Hi, I'm really sorry that you had a dissapointing stay with us.....I was shocked to see the attached photo......... the housekeeper and I have checked every room and found only this has somehow gone under our radar. The staff member has recieved additional training though I have to say I am generally very proud of our standards.

Reviewed 19 November 2012

We have just spent 3 nights at this hotel and very much enjoyed our stay. The restaurant staff in particular are so professional and helpful. Our one caveat is that a dish we ordered from the a la carte menu was not available. Why did our waiter not know this at the time of ordering? Otherwise a most pleasant weekend. We will certainly recommend it to our friends.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
PitlochryHydro, General Manager at The Pitlochry Hydro Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 November 2012

Hi, really pleased you enjoyed your weekend despite us running out of a particular item on our menu. Thanks for posting your review which allows our staff to know they are appreciated and other potential customers get a positive feeling about us.
Hope to see you here again at some point in the future.